Posted to alt.home.repair
a a is offline

Default Drywall ceiling - basement

ransley wrote:
On Jan 22, 8:41 am, wrote:
In case anyone was wondering, or for future reference in case anyone
in the future is *stupid* enough to install a drywall ceiling, my
building inspector in New Jersey said that 1/2" sheetrock for the main
ceiling is fine. They only require 5/8" for the firestopping between
the stud wall and foundation since a fire can spread very quickly
behind the wall since the studs provide fuel, and go all the way up to
the joists.

you are lucky we just spent 9000.00 on 5x8" because of city code

Holy crap! Big basement? That's over 550 panels of 4*8 where I live...

(I assume you meant 5/8 and not 5*8)