Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff[_3_] Jeff[_3_] is offline

Default Drywall ceiling - basement

Not looking to fan the flames, but I was under the impression that 5/8"
drywall was recommended for ceilings as it was less likley than 1/2 to sag.

In the situation described below are the studwalls erected a distance out
from the foundation? Otherwise I'm not sure I understand the requirement.

wrote in message
In case anyone was wondering, or for future reference in case anyone
in the future is *stupid* enough to install a drywall ceiling, my
building inspector in New Jersey said that 1/2" sheetrock for the main
ceiling is fine. They only require 5/8" for the firestopping between
the stud wall and foundation since a fire can spread very quickly
behind the wall since the studs provide fuel, and go all the way up to
the joists.