Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikey S. Mikey S. is offline

Default Drywall ceiling - basement

Since your doing it the right way, with inspections, just call and ask your
inspector before you do the job, It will take 5 minutes and it's the only
safe and foolproof way to avoid a BIG problem later on when the inspector
shows up.
What's in the code is important, but not nearly as important as what the
inspector thinks is in the code :-)

--
Mikey S.
wrote in message
Hello there, I am putting in a drywalled ceiling in my basement. I
had to use 5/8" drywall as fire-blocking between the stud wall and
foundation, but planned on using 1/2" drywall for the actual main
ceiling since my joists are close enough together to allow that.
However, I read on this forum that 5/8" rock might be required for
fire protection for the main ceiling, by code. Since I am doing this
with the proper inspections, can anyone shed light on this? Is it in
the national building codes, or is this a one-off requirement of some
jurisdictions? Thanks.