Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall ceiling - basement

wrote in message
Hello there, I am putting in a drywalled ceiling in my basement. I
had to use 5/8" drywall as fire-blocking between the stud wall and
foundation, but planned on using 1/2" drywall for the actual main
ceiling since my joists are close enough together to allow that.
However, I read on this forum that 5/8" rock might be required for
fire protection for the main ceiling, by code. Since I am doing this
with the proper inspections, can anyone shed light on this? Is it in
the national building codes, or is this a one-off requirement of some
jurisdictions? Thanks.

I can't answer that question, but I'm wondering something else. Will you be
installing some sort of easy access for working on pipes and maybe
electrical junction boxes?