Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting Grooved Walls

Hello Everyone,

Looks like it is time to paint the basement. The walls are a 3/8-inch
plywood paneling with grooves over the entire surface. Is there a
roller nap that will put an even coat of paint into the grooves
without leaving a texture from the roller? I do not care to fill in
the grooves, but also do not care if the paint has some filling effect
to them. Would it be better to use a sprayer? My neighbor offered
to let me use his Wagner airless sprayer.

Thanks.
---Hillel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hello Everyone,

Looks like it is time to paint the basement. The walls are a 3/8-inch
plywood paneling with grooves over the entire surface. Is there a
roller nap that will put an even coat of paint into the grooves
without leaving a texture from the roller? I do not care to fill in
the grooves, but also do not care if the paint has some filling effect
to them. Would it be better to use a sprayer? My neighbor offered
to let me use his Wagner airless sprayer.

Thanks.
---Hillel

Why not just use a really good brush, one of the wide ones? For intuitive
reasons I can't verbalize, I don't get a real good feeling about using a
roller for the surface you described.

How deep are these grooves?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not sure about the grooves, but you should pass on using the Wagner
airless. Those things are junk and you will tear your hair out. You'd be
better off painting with a 1" brush.

wrote in message
Hello Everyone,

Looks like it is time to paint the basement. The walls are a 3/8-inch
plywood paneling with grooves over the entire surface. Is there a
roller nap that will put an even coat of paint into the grooves
without leaving a texture from the roller? I do not care to fill in
the grooves, but also do not care if the paint has some filling effect
to them. Would it be better to use a sprayer? My neighbor offered
to let me use his Wagner airless sprayer.

Thanks.
---Hillel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 2:50 pm, wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Looks like it is time to paint the basement. The walls are a 3/8-inch
plywood paneling with grooves over the entire surface. Is there a
roller nap that will put an even coat of paint into the grooves
without leaving a texture from the roller? I do not care to fill in
the grooves, but also do not care if the paint has some filling effect
to them. Would it be better to use a sprayer? My neighbor offered
to let me use his Wagner airless sprayer.

You'll need a brush to cut in any way, so just hit up the grooves with
the brush then roll the walls. As an alternative, if there are a lot
of grooves and you're not grooving on all that brushing, use two
rollers. One with a 3/8" nap cover to put the bulk of the paint on
and fill in the grooves, and follow up with a 1/4" nap cover to smooth
out the paint on the flat surface of the paneling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 3:13 pm, RicodJour wrote:
You'll need a brush to cut in any way, so just hit up the grooves with
the brush then roll the walls. As an alternative, if there are a lot
of grooves and you're not grooving on all that brushing, use two
rollers. One with a 3/8" nap cover to put the bulk of the paint on
and fill in the grooves, and follow up with a 1/4" nap cover to smooth
out the paint on the flat surface of the paneling.

There is no flat surface. The entire surface is cut with grooves
ranging from 1/16 to 1/8 inch wide. They look to be just over 1/16
inch deep. A lot of the houses here all built by the same company in
the mid-1950s all have the same panels in the basements. The two
roller solution sounds good. Will a 3/8 inch nap be enough for those
kind of grooves, or will a deeper nap be required?

Thanks.
---Hillel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Have you ever used a paint brush that was more expensive than you thought
was worthwhile, and some serious paint, like Devoe or Martin-Senour? I
assume you're fixated on the roller idea because it should get the job done
faster. But, with the right paint & brushes, you might be surprised at how
fast you can do this job. And, there is no question that it will work well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

My neighbor offered
to let me use his Wagner airless sprayer.

Your neighbor must really hate you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 3:30 pm, wrote:
On Dec 16, 3:13 pm, RicodJour wrote:

You'll need a brush to cut in any way, so just hit up the grooves with
the brush then roll the walls. As an alternative, if there are a lot
of grooves and you're not grooving on all that brushing, use two
rollers. One with a 3/8" nap cover to put the bulk of the paint on
and fill in the grooves, and follow up with a 1/4" nap cover to smooth
out the paint on the flat surface of the paneling.

There is no flat surface. The entire surface is cut with grooves
ranging from 1/16 to 1/8 inch wide. They look to be just over 1/16
inch deep. A lot of the houses here all built by the same company in
the mid-1950s all have the same panels in the basements. The two
roller solution sounds good. Will a 3/8 inch nap be enough for those
kind of grooves, or will a deeper nap be required?

If there is no flat surface the roller texture won't matter. If you
feel it might, you can still use the two roller technique.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 4:20 pm, Oren wrote:

Do the panels look like this picture?

http://www.coxlumber.com/images/sidi...de/panelII.gif

No, the whole thing is narrow vertical grooves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 13:49:35 -0800 (PST), Hillel
wrote:

On Dec 16, 4:20 pm, Oren wrote:

Do the panels look like this picture?

*http://www.coxlumber.com/images/sidi...de/panelII.gif

No, the whole thing is narrow vertical grooves.

The example material is applied with vertical grooves (exterior
siding).

How did the neighbor paint his (if the same type basement)?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Dec 16, 4:20 pm, Oren wrote:

Do the panels look like this picture?

*http://www.coxlumber.com/images/sidi...de/panelII.gif

No, the whole thing is narrow vertical grooves.

The example material is applied with vertical grooves (exterior
siding).

How did the neighbor paint his (if the same type basement)?

I saw those siding panels before. The vertical grooves are meant to
simulate wood grain. The basement panels have deeper vertical grooves
than those, but not the wide deep grooves that are in the siding
panels every few inches.

Most of the neighbors have either ignored them or ripped them out.
One friend managed to paint his with roller and brush, but it took him
a long time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Dec 16, 4:20 pm, Oren wrote:

Do the panels look like this picture?

*http://www.coxlumber.com/images/sidi...de/panelII.gif

No, the whole thing is narrow vertical grooves.

The example material is applied with vertical grooves (exterior
siding).

How did the neighbor paint his (if the same type basement)?

I saw those siding panels before. The vertical grooves are meant to
simulate wood grain. The basement panels have deeper vertical grooves
than those, but not the wide deep grooves that are in the siding
panels every few inches.

Most of the neighbors have either ignored them or ripped them out.
One friend managed to paint his with roller and brush, but it took him
a long time.

That's because he used a cheap brush and cheap paint. I wasn't there to see
it, but I know it's true. Where were you going to shop for your paint? Any
plans yet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 22:44:26 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

wrote:

On Dec 16, 4:20 pm, Oren wrote:

[...]

I was older before I learned about loading paint in a brush, the
cleaning and care aspect of a good brush.

Now! it is my first go too tool...for paint in the home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote:

On Dec 16, 4:20 pm, Oren wrote:

[...]

I got lucky. When I was 30, there was a real hardware store in my
neighborhood. I didn't listen to the owner the first time when I bought a
cheap brush, but I was back the same day for an expensive one. I still have
it 24 years later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 00:03:17 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

wrote:

On Dec 16, 4:20 pm, Oren wrote:

[...]

A craftsman of now (40 years) taught me a few lessons; in recent
years! Good brush and care. He spent several years as an Apprentice
many years ago.(back East). He is articulate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 2:50 pm, wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Looks like it is time to paint the basement. The walls are a 3/8-inch
plywood paneling with grooves over the entire surface. Is there a
roller nap that will put an even coat of paint into the grooves
without leaving a texture from the roller? I do not care to fill in
the grooves, but also do not care if the paint has some filling effect
to them. Would it be better to use a sprayer? My neighbor offered
to let me use his Wagner airless sprayer.

Thanks.
---Hillel

I have the same paneling in my basement...simulated wood grain with
black grooves every 6-9". The house is from the early 70s. When we
moved in many years ago, we primed, then painted white. We like the
"country" look.

Just use a regular roller. Rough sand and prime first...the paint
will adhere better. You can smash the edge of the roller into the
grooves. It will cover them.

--Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 17, 9:17 am, Jeff B wrote:

I have the same paneling in my basement...simulated wood grain with
black grooves every 6-9". The house is from the early 70s. When we
moved in many years ago, we primed, then painted white. We like the
"country" look.

Just use a regular roller. Rough sand and prime first...the paint
will adhere better. You can smash the edge of the roller into the
grooves. It will cover them.

No, this is not the simulated wood grain paneling. Think of a wall
full of random width pinstripes and without the big grooves every few
inches. I am hoping that a roller will still get into the grooves.
Not sure if 3/8" nap is enough, but I will experiment on a few cut
pieces I have before doing the wall.

Thanks.
---Hillel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 17, 9:29 am, Hillel wrote:
On Dec 17, 9:17 am, Jeff B wrote:

I have the same paneling in my basement...simulated wood grain with
black grooves every 6-9". The house is from the early 70s. When we
moved in many years ago, we primed, then painted white. We like the
"country" look.

Just use a regular roller. Rough sand and prime first...the paint
will adhere better. You can smash the edge of the roller into the
grooves. It will cover them.

No, this is not the simulated wood grain paneling. Think of a wall
full of random width pinstripes and without the big grooves every few
inches. I am hoping that a roller will still get into the grooves.
Not sure if 3/8" nap is enough, but I will experiment on a few cut
pieces I have before doing the wall.

It will. Stop mucking about and put the paint on the wall already.

Preparing walls for painting Wordy UK diy 3 November 1st 06 02:43 PM
Painting Walls Andrew UK diy 4 September 12th 05 10:30 PM
painting plaster walls sam UK diy 2 December 21st 04 11:59 PM
Painting outside walls-Help? - UK diy 11 October 24th 03 09:12 PM
Painting walls. Help Charles Holder UK diy 1 October 23rd 03 06:49 AM