-

Default Painting outside walls-Help?

Hi all,
I'm just about to have the rather old and blown pebble dash
removed from my house and have it replaced with a similar coating. SWMBO
would like it painting with Sandtex or similar, now I know I can ask the
manufacturers but I would also like a less biased opinion. What are the
implications of applying the paint in cold damp weather, i.e. in the
next month or so?
--
-- Bill
stuart noble

Hi all,
I'm just about to have the rather old and blown pebble dash
removed from my house and have it replaced with a similar coating. SWMBO
would like it painting with Sandtex or similar, now I know I can ask the
manufacturers but I would also like a less biased opinion. What are the
implications of applying the paint in cold damp weather, i.e. in the
next month or so?

AFAIK all masonry paint is water based. It's actually better to apply it in
cool weather, as long as there's no danger of frost, and dampness doesn't
affect it.

Michael Mcneil

"stuart noble" wrote in message

I'm just about to have the rather old and blown pebble dash
removed from my house and have it replaced with a similar coating. SWMBO
would like it painting with Sandtex or similar, now I know I can ask the
manufacturers but I would also like a less biased opinion. What are the
implications of applying the paint in cold damp weather, i.e. in the
next month or so?

AFAIK all masonry paint is water based. It's actually better to apply it in
cool weather, as long as there's no danger of frost, and dampness doesn't
affect it.

Why are you having it /dashed if you are going to paint it?

Woodspoiler

AFAIK all masonry paint is water based.

Not all.

One example of a spirit-based finish is Macpherson Powerkote.
http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/m/MPK/

W.

-

In article lgate.org,
Michael Mcneil writes
"stuart noble" wrote in message

I'm just about to have the rather old and blown pebble dash
removed from my house and have it replaced with a similar coating. SWMBO
would like it painting with Sandtex or similar, now I know I can ask the
manufacturers but I would also like a less biased opinion. What are the
implications of applying the paint in cold damp weather, i.e. in the
next month or so?

AFAIK all masonry paint is water based. It's actually better to apply it in
cool weather, as long as there's no danger of frost, and dampness doesn't
affect it.

Why are you having it /dashed if you are going to paint it?

It is as I said pebble dashed at the moment but a lot of it is in a bad
state so I am removing all and having it replaced with the same, but not
falling off. Then painting it in a similar colour to what it is now.
I would rather have left the dashing unpainted but this would tend to
stand out with respect to other nearby properties which are nearly all
painted.

--
-- Bill

BillR

- wrote:
Hi all,
I'm just about to have the rather old and blown pebble dash
removed from my house and have it replaced with a similar coating.
SWMBO would like it painting with Sandtex or similar, now I know I
can ask the manufacturers but I would also like a less biased
opinion. What are the implications of applying the paint in cold damp
weather, i.e. in the next month or so?

A word of caution. The pepple dashing may have been put on in the first
place because the wall was in such poor condition. It may not be weather
proof if you remove the coating. e.g. the pointing could need replacing.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
- writes:

Hi all,
I'm just about to have the rather old and blown pebble dash
removed from my house and have it replaced with a similar coating. SWMBO
would like it painting with Sandtex or similar, now I know I can ask the
manufacturers but I would also like a less biased opinion. What are the
implications of applying the paint in cold damp weather, i.e. in the
next month or so?

I would never paint outside walls, at least I would not start painting
them (once started, it's an additional piece of regular maintenance).
Pebble dash tends to get painted after a repair, when the repaired work
is a different colour from the original. You won't have that issue.
Strongly suggest you don't paint it...

--
Andrew Gabriel
The Natural Philosopher

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
- writes:

Hi all,
I'm just about to have the rather old and blown pebble dash
removed from my house and have it replaced with a similar coating. SWMBO
would like it painting with Sandtex or similar, now I know I can ask the
manufacturers but I would also like a less biased opinion. What are the
implications of applying the paint in cold damp weather, i.e. in the
next month or so?

I would never paint outside walls, at least I would not start painting
them (once started, it's an additional piece of regular maintenance).
Pebble dash tends to get painted after a repair, when the repaired work
is a different colour from the original. You won't have that issue.
Strongly suggest you don't paint it...

Houses are all maintenance.

You'll be telling me next, you have slotted floors so you don;t have to
sweep em, and no windows cos you don't like cleaning em.

One thing about painting very rough stucco/pebbledash. Thin teh first
coat at least so it splashes into the cracks. Otherwise its hell to get
an even finish,

Did my 'tyrolean stucco' garage with sandtex, and that worked a treat
with a pole and big roller.

Michael Mcneil

One thing about painting very rough stucco/pebbledash. Thin teh first
coat at least so it splashes into the cracks. Otherwise its hell to get
an even finish,

Did my 'tyrolean stucco' garage with sandtex, and that worked a treat
with a pole and big roller.

A paininnabum-numero_uno. Use a long haired plasterers brush too. Or
consider hiring a sprayer.

Check the gutters etc., first. The scratch coat usually contains a
waterproofing mix. The second coat is the one that the pebbles are
dashed at. The three extra layers of wall make it quite weatherproof.
Pebble dash even cuts down the wind speed of air in or near contact with
the wall and of course the pebble dash is a natural shedder of rain.

It is a very good finish for an house. It ages gracefuly too.

-

In article , BillR
writes
- wrote:
Hi all,
I'm just about to have the rather old and blown pebble dash
removed from my house and have it replaced with a similar coating.
SWMBO would like it painting with Sandtex or similar, now I know I
can ask the manufacturers but I would also like a less biased
opinion. What are the implications of applying the paint in cold damp
weather, i.e. in the next month or so?

A word of caution. The pepple dashing may have been put on in the first
place because the wall was in such poor condition. It may not be weather
proof if you remove the coating. e.g. the pointing could need replacing.

Oh dear don't say that!
The house has been an interesting project, total rewire as the previous
owner had done some novel things such as running a 7KW shower off 2.5mm
T&E. Replace downstairs floor because he had used non floor grade
chipboard that had worn away. Used 2nd hand roofing joists to hold up
downstairs floor. Built a stud wall over the carpet. The house had been
gutted at one point with a view to being demolished. The plaster in the
24' X 12' lounge had to be replaced as a lot of it was blown from the
brick, not the same walls as the pebble dashed ones luckily. The
plumbing was a nightmare so that is now new too. SO if the pointing is
not up to scratch I will not be surprised, the only glimmer of hope is
that the pebble dash appears to be original, it matches in with several
other houses locally that were built at the same time.

--
-- Bill

-

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
- writes:

Hi all,
I'm just about to have the rather old and blown pebble dash
removed from my house and have it replaced with a similar coating. SWMBO
would like it painting with Sandtex or similar, now I know I can ask the
manufacturers but I would also like a less biased opinion. What are the
implications of applying the paint in cold damp weather, i.e. in the
next month or so?

I would never paint outside walls, at least I would not start painting
them (once started, it's an additional piece of regular maintenance).
Pebble dash tends to get painted after a repair, when the repaired work
is a different colour from the original. You won't have that issue.
Strongly suggest you don't paint it...

I could not agree more, unfortunately it is SWMBO's desire in life to
have it done and if it pleases her then who am I to argue. Although she
is aware of the on going repainting problem and has agreed to see what
it looks like before going ahead with any painting, so fingers crossed.

--
-- Bill
-

In article lgate.org,
Michael Mcneil writes

One thing about painting very rough stucco/pebbledash. Thin teh first
coat at least so it splashes into the cracks. Otherwise its hell to get
an even finish,

Did my 'tyrolean stucco' garage with sandtex, and that worked a treat
with a pole and big roller.

A paininnabum-numero_uno. Use a long haired plasterers brush too. Or
consider hiring a sprayer.

I was going to ask about spraying, I have a compressor and spray gun
that I've used for creosoting some fencing and wondered about putting
Sandtex through it, never having handled Sandtex before I'm not sure how
well it would work, any comments? Does it need a particularly large
nozzle on the sprayer?

Check the gutters etc.,

I am taking the opportunity of having the scaffolding up to do just that
and a few other minor jobs too, such as moving the satellite dish to a
more aesthetically pleasing location. The Sky installer refused to mount
it on the gable end of the house because the flat roof he would have had
to stand on did not have a safety rail, he preferred to work at twice
the height from a ladder. He was wearing a harness though, not that
there was anything to attach it to.
first. The scratch coat usually contains a
waterproofing mix. The second coat is the one that the pebbles are
dashed at. The three extra layers of wall make it quite weatherproof.
Pebble dash even cuts down the wind speed of air in or near contact with
the wall and of course the pebble dash is a natural shedder of rain.

It is a very good finish for an house. It ages gracefuly too.

I know how it feels.

--
-- Bill

Painting walls. Help Charles Holder UK diy 1 October 23rd 03 06:49 AM
Best Preparation for plastered Bathroom walls? Eno Case UK diy 1 October 17th 03 11:10 PM
Painting a bathroom Jeff UK diy 5 September 25th 03 05:49 PM
painting a house Tiger UK diy 3 August 29th 03 11:44 AM