Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting a metal door?

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 15:41:26 -0700, "Cshenk"
wrote:

One of the other things my renters did was replace my lovely old oak front
door, with a cheaper metal one. (apparently they got in a fight and kicked
the old one in per my neighbors). They did have it well installed, new
frame and all. There are only 2 problems. One is easy to fix (they didnt
redo the interior molding which is broken in places).

The only 'problem' is the new door is white and my house is almond and dark
brown exterior. The inside also needs to change as the white sticks out
like a sore thumb against the cherry stained 50/60's style pinewood walls.
(angled appx 4 inch wide solid boards, lovely stuff).

What sort of paint is recommended for this type of door? I've never painted
a metal door and we do not want drips or brushstrokes. For the inside, we
are considering a sort of 'distressed almond/ivory' with an antique looking
wallpaper on the lower 'squares' (you'd have to see the place to realize
this would work here, normally would sound pretty stupid).

Use a quality exterior semi-gloss or gloss latex enamel. I prefer
Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore. Remove the door hinge pins and
rest the door on two sawhorses. Remove the hardware and window (if
present). Mask off the hinge. Lightly sand the surface using 220
grit. Prime and apply two finish coats per manufacturer's
suggestions. The paint should last 20+ years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cshenk wrote:
[...]

Remove door.
Take to auto paint shop.
Pick a color.
Replace door.
Won't wash off and you can't paint over it. (Wait! That's a line from a
movie. Never mind.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 17:22:13 -0500, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

Cshenk" wrote in message

One of the other things my renters did was replace my lovely old oak front
door, with a cheaper metal one. . . .
The only 'problem' is the new door is white and my house is almond and

dark
brown exterior.

Have these renters left the country? A front door is a "fixture"
i.e. if it is removed the landlord can legally require that the
renters provide a replacement equal to what they removed.

A judge looked at my former tenant and told him he was getting his
deposit back, nor should he expect it. It was about a door change and
I was not advised of. I replaced his replacement, before I sold the
home...

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cshenk" wrote in message

One of the other things my renters did was replace my lovely old oak front
door, with a cheaper metal one. . . .
The only 'problem' is the new door is white and my house is almond and

dark
brown exterior.

Have these renters left the country? A front door is a "fixture"
i.e. if it is removed the landlord can legally require that the
renters provide a replacement equal to what they removed.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Cshenk" wrote in message

One of the other things my renters did was replace my lovely old oak front
door, with a cheaper metal one. . . .
The only 'problem' is the new door is white and my house is almond and

dark
brown exterior.

Have these renters left the country? A front door is a "fixture"
i.e. if it is removed the landlord can legally require that the
renters provide a replacement equal to what they removed.

A judge looked at my former tenant and told him he was getting his
deposit back, nor should he expect it. It was about a door change and
I was not advised of. I replaced his replacement, before I sold the
home...

--
Oren

I know doors , so I would say hire a pro, you will only make alot of
mistakes, you will regret, I have refinished doors at 20- 30,000.00
value. Anybody has to see it to give honest advise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 14:06:49 -0800, Oren wrote:

A judge looked at my former tenant and told him he was getting his
deposit back, nor should he expect it.

Sorry. Should have read NOT getting his money back..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Cshenk" wrote in message

One of the other things my renters did was replace my lovely old oak front
door, with a cheaper metal one. . . .
The only 'problem' is the new door is white and my house is almond and
dark
brown exterior.

Have these renters left the country? A front door is a "fixture"
i.e. if it is removed the landlord can legally require that the
renters provide a replacement equal to what they removed.

A judge looked at my former tenant and told him he was getting his
deposit back, nor should he expect it. It was about a door change and
I was not advised of. I replaced his replacement, before I sold the
home...

I know doors , so I would say hire a pro, you will only make alot of
mistakes, you will regret, I have refinished doors at 20- 30,000.00
value. Anybody has to see it to give honest advise.

Got any renter with 20-30K doors?

The OP states:

"lovely old oak front door, with a cheaper metal one. . . ."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cshenk wrote:
"Phisherman" wrote

One painting a metal exterior door:.

What sort of paint is recommended for this type of door? I've never
painted
a metal door and we do not want drips or brushstrokes. For the inside, we

Use a quality exterior semi-gloss or gloss latex enamel. I prefer
Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore. Remove the door hinge pins and
rest the door on two sawhorses. Remove the hardware and window (if
present). Mask off the hinge. Lightly sand the surface using 220
grit. Prime and apply two finish coats per manufacturer's
suggestions. The paint should last 20+ years.

Ok thanks! The hardware is just the deadbolt and doorknob which we can
masking tape off pretty easy (samwich bag over knob).

Uh, no you really want to take the knob and deadbolt off. No reason
not to- it is just a few screws. If you mask it, no matter how
carefully, there will always be paint on the knob, and when (not if) the
knob gets a tad loose, the unpainted areas will show, and when the knob
moves it will likely flake the paint edge right around it.

Is the reason for removing the door and putting it over sawhorses to prevent
drips? My husband was thinking to do it in place with 3 coats and thinned
down latex exterior lightly applied. We didnt know the grit level for the
sandpaper or the recommended brands of paint so thank you!

Painting on horses is much preferred, to avoid runs, avoid missing
spots, and because it is much easier to see what you are doing, to get
in all the little nooks and crannies. You paint in place, you have to
keep the door propped open anyway. Just as easy to barricade the hole if
you have to leave it overnight.

aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Cshenk wrote:
[...]

WHAT? Just buy some exterior grade satin latex paint; lightly sand the
door to remove any sheen; and paint the door leaving no brush marks. I've
painted exterior doors plenty of times and never had a problem. I've also
painted an entire aluminum sided house several times following a similar
procedure. Only difference was that I had to work harder to remove chalking
which shouldn't be a problem with the door as it's relatively new -- I
presume.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 7:03 pm, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 14:06:49 -0800, Oren wrote:
A judge looked at my former tenant and told him he was getting his
deposit back, nor should he expect it.

Sorry. Should have read NOT getting his money back..

You certainly can paint a metal door with a brush and it's probably
fine for a rental property. If it were my own house, with a brand
new door, I'd spray paint it to get a better finish. Either way, I'd
definitely remove it to paint it. Much easier to work on and get good
results.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 19:36:42 -0700, "Cshenk"
wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote

Cshenk wrote:
"Phisherman" wrote

One painting a metal exterior door:.

Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore. Remove the door hinge pins and
rest the door on two sawhorses. Remove the hardware and window (if
present). Mask off the hinge. Lightly sand the surface using 220
grit. Prime and apply two finish coats per manufacturer's
suggestions. The paint should last 20+ years.

Ok thanks! The hardware is just the deadbolt and doorknob which we can
masking tape off pretty easy (samwich bag over knob).

Uh, no you really want to take the knob and deadbolt off. No reason not
to- it is just a few screws. If you mask it, no matter how carefully,
there will always be paint on the knob, and when (not if) the knob gets a
tad loose, the unpainted areas will show, and when the knob moves it will
likely flake the paint edge right around it.

Knobs can be replaced but Don ans I are both Navy and using to taping orr
correctly. There's several tricks to it uncluding using a razor blade
around the edges to make a clean line. We just changed out the door
hardware and can again but it's easier to tape off in this case. It's the
hardware on the frame we'd want to remove before painting that.

You can remove and replace the dead-bolt, knob and latches cheaper
than tape..imo. Plus one gets a better job.

ARMY myself .. if it moves, paint it!

Is the reason for removing the door and putting it over sawhorses to
prevent drips? My husband was thinking to do it in place with 3 coats
and thinned down latex exterior lightly applied. We didnt know the grit
level for the sandpaper or the recommended brands of paint so thank you!

Painting on horses is much preferred, to avoid runs, avoid missing spots,
and because it is much easier to see what you are doing, to get in all the
little nooks and crannies. You paint in place, you have to keep the door
propped open anyway. Just as easy to barricade the hole if you have to
leave it overnight.

Ok and thanks! Might do that then. Don's checking to see if he can
color-match a brown to the same as we need for the brickwork (slightly
diffrent paints involved).

--
Oren

"Painting is the art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather and exposing them to the critics."
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Todays work was light: to replace 3 sets of blinds. Don did a very nice job
with them. 2 roughly 78 inch (were they 72?) and 1 102 inch. The type with
panels that hang down and you cut the bottoms to fit what you want. We
didnt get fancy panels (that can wait for later for cost reasons). Later,
we will put up curtins (over in case of the livingroom, behind in case of
bedroom). I even have some nice ones that are in shipment from our
household goods from Japan, that are made to fit in the top clip and replace
the long blinds which we think we may do for the kitchen patio door to the
back porch. They also can attach to a normal rod or a round one you sort of
shuffle the curtin along (has 3 attachments and we saved them from the kit).

xxcarol

Posted to alt.home.repair

DonC wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Remove door.
Take to auto paint shop.
Pick a color.
Replace door.
Won't wash off and you can't paint over it. (Wait! That's a line
from a movie. Never mind.)

WHAT? Just buy some exterior grade satin latex paint; lightly sand
the door to remove any sheen; and paint the door leaving no brush
marks. I've painted exterior doors plenty of times and never had a
problem. I've also painted an entire aluminum sided house several
times following a similar procedure. Only difference was that I had
to work harder to remove chalking which shouldn't be a problem with
the door as it's relatively new -- I presume.

Had you done what I recommended, you wouldn't have had to "paint(ed)
exterior doors plenty of times..." It would have been painted once and be
done with it.

As for the house, that's a bit of a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote

The only 'problem' is the new door is white and my house is almond and
dark
brown exterior.

Have these renters left the country? A front door is a "fixture"
i.e. if it is removed the landlord can legally require that the
renters provide a replacement equal to what they removed.

Grouping reply, they have vanished. Long story and not worth repeating
here.

A judge looked at my former tenant and told him he was (not) getting his
deposit back, nor should he expect it. It was about a door change and
I was not advised of. I replaced his replacement, before I sold the
home...

The new door is ok, except for color and we are getting their entire
deposit. Creditors tracked back to the realtor but apparently we have
priority on the deposit over them. This includes the idiot who tried to
reclaim *our* car thinking it was theirs. (The police were not amused with
that repo fellow, was a Nissan but not same color or model as our Maxima).

I know doors , so I would say hire a pro, you will only make alot of
mistakes, you will regret, I have refinished doors at 20- 30,000.00
value. Anybody has to see it to give honest advise.

Thanks Mike but we have too many repairs to make to hire anyone for this.
In a year or so when we recover financially, we will have a new one put in
if the job we do isnt good enough. We did hire professionals for the
critical items that we can not do ourselves such as replacing the 3-wide bay
window they kicked out.

I'll put in a plug for my housing insurance folks. State Farm is covering
several items best they can and on things that technically they do not have
to. They bundled some things together despite that the written rules of the
contract meant 500$ deductable each, to give us more back. They've seen
worse, but seldom so many random senseless small items.

The hidden blessing is Don and I actually *are* pretty handy and with the
exception of the tub liner, windows, fireplace, and electrical, we can do
the rest ourselves and we *do* still have a house. They only punched in the
walls in the back enclosed porch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DonC" wrote

Remove door.
Take to auto paint shop.
Pick a color.
Replace door.
Won't wash off and you can't paint over it. (Wait! That's a line from a
movie. Never mind.)

WHAT? Just buy some exterior grade satin latex paint; lightly sand the
door to remove any sheen; and paint the door leaving no brush marks. I've
painted exterior doors plenty of times and never had a problem. I've
also painted an entire aluminum sided house several times following a
similar procedure. Only difference was that I had to work harder to remove
chalking which shouldn't be a problem with the door as it's relatively
new -- I presume.

Snicker, yes the door is pretty new. It was a very well done job actually
so we are happy enough except for the color. We can even tell you it was
installed 16 August 2005 via Lowes as they had it on record (popped up when
we contracted the patio door as same address but diffrent name). Lowes has
transferred the warentee to us now. The screen door which is damaged, we
get an offset to replace with a dark brown one and free install. Thats why
we only asked on painting the door in the thread. Lowes will cover the
screen door part for nominal money anytime in the next 2 years. I found it
amusing that had the screen door not been damaged, they would not have
covered replacement due to color, but as it has been, they will do so for a
new color match ;-). Gotta love the world as it's so insane sometimes!

My old door was 'nicer looking' but had upper glass windows and it was
single panes (heat loss). They were also not safely situated to prevent an
intruder from busting them in and reaching to unlatch the door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
DonC wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Remove door.
Take to auto paint shop.
Pick a color.
Replace door.
Won't wash off and you can't paint over it. (Wait! That's a line
from a movie. Never mind.)

WHAT? Just buy some exterior grade satin latex paint; lightly sand
the door to remove any sheen; and paint the door leaving no brush
marks. I've painted exterior doors plenty of times and never had a
problem. I've also painted an entire aluminum sided house several
times following a similar procedure. Only difference was that I had
to work harder to remove chalking which shouldn't be a problem with
the door as it's relatively new -- I presume.

Had you done what I recommended, you wouldn't have had to "paint(ed)
exterior doors plenty of times..." It would have been painted once and be
done with it.

I never had to repaint a door due to paid degradation. Only reason was
moving, wife wanting it a different color or doing one for someone else.
IOW, I "painted once and was done with it" until I moved or my better half
decided she need a change.

I can't believe anyone would have a standard metal door painted at an auto
body shop. That's overkill to the nth degree.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DonC wrote:

Had you done what I recommended, you wouldn't have had to "paint(ed)
exterior doors plenty of times..." It would have been painted once
and be done with it.

I never had to repaint a door due to paid degradation. Only reason
was moving, wife wanting it a different color or doing one for
someone else. IOW, I "painted once and was done with it" until I
moved or my better half decided she need a change.

I can't believe anyone would have a standard metal door painted at an
auto body shop. That's overkill to the nth degree.

Often, when you move, you can take the door with you.

By demonstrating how easy it is to paint a door with a roller and whatever's
left over in the garage, you have incentivized your spouse.

No, taking the door to an auto paint shop would have put the kebosh on
future "I need it to match my dress for the yard party" business.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DonC wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
DonC wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
[...]

Oh, probably. But they sure do come out looking pretty. And some of us
are all thumbs with a paint brush or spray gun. I can hang a door, no
problem, but I can't make it pretty. So if the cost comparison is body
shop vs. pro painter, rather than body shop vs. DIY, well, maybe it
isn't so expensive. I probably wouldn't do it for a single door, but if
I was doing multiple exterior doors on a house I was fixing up, and had
no other need for a pro painter on site anyway, and couldn't find a
factory color I liked on the doors, I might consider it.

First place I saw body-shop-painted doors was at- you guessed it- a
body shop. They looked fantastic. I asked the manager about it, and he
said they maybe do a dozen a year, usually brand new doors for high-end
custom homes where the missus had hired a decorator. I don't think most
men give too much of a rip about the color, as long as whatever is on
there is weatherproof so it doesn't rust.

aem sends...