Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Painting a metal door?

DonC wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
DonC wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Remove door.
Take to auto paint shop.
Pick a color.
Replace door.
Won't wash off and you can't paint over it. (Wait! That's a line
from a movie. Never mind.)
WHAT? Just buy some exterior grade satin latex paint; lightly sand
the door to remove any sheen; and paint the door leaving no brush
marks. I've painted exterior doors plenty of times and never had a
problem. I've also painted an entire aluminum sided house several
times following a similar procedure. Only difference was that I had
to work harder to remove chalking which shouldn't be a problem with
the door as it's relatively new -- I presume.

Had you done what I recommended, you wouldn't have had to "paint(ed)
exterior doors plenty of times..." It would have been painted once and be
done with it.

I never had to repaint a door due to paid degradation. Only reason was
moving, wife wanting it a different color or doing one for someone else.
IOW, I "painted once and was done with it" until I moved or my better half
decided she need a change.

I can't believe anyone would have a standard metal door painted at an auto
body shop. That's overkill to the nth degree.

Oh, probably. But they sure do come out looking pretty. And some of us
are all thumbs with a paint brush or spray gun. I can hang a door, no
problem, but I can't make it pretty. So if the cost comparison is body
shop vs. pro painter, rather than body shop vs. DIY, well, maybe it
isn't so expensive. I probably wouldn't do it for a single door, but if
I was doing multiple exterior doors on a house I was fixing up, and had
no other need for a pro painter on site anyway, and couldn't find a
factory color I liked on the doors, I might consider it.

First place I saw body-shop-painted doors was at- you guessed it- a
body shop. They looked fantastic. I asked the manager about it, and he
said they maybe do a dozen a year, usually brand new doors for high-end
custom homes where the missus had hired a decorator. I don't think most
men give too much of a rip about the color, as long as whatever is on
there is weatherproof so it doesn't rust.

aem sends...