Posted to alt.home.repair
Cshenk Cshenk is offline

Default Painting a metal door?

One of the other things my renters did was replace my lovely old oak front
door, with a cheaper metal one. (apparently they got in a fight and kicked
the old one in per my neighbors). They did have it well installed, new
frame and all. There are only 2 problems. One is easy to fix (they didnt
redo the interior molding which is broken in places).

The only 'problem' is the new door is white and my house is almond and dark
brown exterior. The inside also needs to change as the white sticks out
like a sore thumb against the cherry stained 50/60's style pinewood walls.
(angled appx 4 inch wide solid boards, lovely stuff).

What sort of paint is recommended for this type of door? I've never painted
a metal door and we do not want drips or brushstrokes. For the inside, we
are considering a sort of 'distressed almond/ivory' with an antique looking
wallpaper on the lower 'squares' (you'd have to see the place to realize
this would work here, normally would sound pretty stupid).