Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Painting a metal door?

Cshenk wrote:
"Phisherman" wrote

One painting a metal exterior door:.

What sort of paint is recommended for this type of door? I've never
painted
a metal door and we do not want drips or brushstrokes. For the inside, we

Use a quality exterior semi-gloss or gloss latex enamel. I prefer
Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore. Remove the door hinge pins and
rest the door on two sawhorses. Remove the hardware and window (if
present). Mask off the hinge. Lightly sand the surface using 220
grit. Prime and apply two finish coats per manufacturer's
suggestions. The paint should last 20+ years.

Ok thanks! The hardware is just the deadbolt and doorknob which we can
masking tape off pretty easy (samwich bag over knob).

Uh, no you really want to take the knob and deadbolt off. No reason
not to- it is just a few screws. If you mask it, no matter how
carefully, there will always be paint on the knob, and when (not if) the
knob gets a tad loose, the unpainted areas will show, and when the knob
moves it will likely flake the paint edge right around it.

Is the reason for removing the door and putting it over sawhorses to prevent
drips? My husband was thinking to do it in place with 3 coats and thinned
down latex exterior lightly applied. We didnt know the grit level for the
sandpaper or the recommended brands of paint so thank you!

Painting on horses is much preferred, to avoid runs, avoid missing
spots, and because it is much easier to see what you are doing, to get
in all the little nooks and crannies. You paint in place, you have to
keep the door propped open anyway. Just as easy to barricade the hole if
you have to leave it overnight.

aem sends...