Posted to alt.home.repair
Cshenk Cshenk is offline

Default Painting a metal door?

"ransley" wrote

The only 'problem' is the new door is white and my house is almond and
dark
brown exterior.

Have these renters left the country? A front door is a "fixture"
i.e. if it is removed the landlord can legally require that the
renters provide a replacement equal to what they removed.

Grouping reply, they have vanished. Long story and not worth repeating
here.

A judge looked at my former tenant and told him he was (not) getting his
deposit back, nor should he expect it. It was about a door change and
I was not advised of. I replaced his replacement, before I sold the
home...

The new door is ok, except for color and we are getting their entire
deposit. Creditors tracked back to the realtor but apparently we have
priority on the deposit over them. This includes the idiot who tried to
reclaim *our* car thinking it was theirs. (The police were not amused with
that repo fellow, was a Nissan but not same color or model as our Maxima).

I know doors , so I would say hire a pro, you will only make alot of
mistakes, you will regret, I have refinished doors at 20- 30,000.00
value. Anybody has to see it to give honest advise.

Thanks Mike but we have too many repairs to make to hire anyone for this.
In a year or so when we recover financially, we will have a new one put in
if the job we do isnt good enough. We did hire professionals for the
critical items that we can not do ourselves such as replacing the 3-wide bay
window they kicked out.

I'll put in a plug for my housing insurance folks. State Farm is covering
several items best they can and on things that technically they do not have
to. They bundled some things together despite that the written rules of the
contract meant 500$ deductable each, to give us more back. They've seen
worse, but seldom so many random senseless small items.

The hidden blessing is Don and I actually *are* pretty handy and with the
exception of the tub liner, windows, fireplace, and electrical, we can do
the rest ourselves and we *do* still have a house. They only punched in the
walls in the back enclosed porch.