Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default Painting a metal door?

Cshenk wrote:
One of the other things my renters did was replace my lovely old oak
front door, with a cheaper metal one. (apparently they got in a
fight and kicked the old one in per my neighbors). They did have it
well installed, new frame and all. There are only 2 problems. One
is easy to fix (they didnt redo the interior molding which is broken
in places).
The only 'problem' is the new door is white and my house is almond
and dark brown exterior. The inside also needs to change as the
white sticks out like a sore thumb against the cherry stained 50/60's
style pinewood walls. (angled appx 4 inch wide solid boards, lovely
stuff).
What sort of paint is recommended for this type of door? I've never
painted a metal door and we do not want drips or brushstrokes. For
the inside, we are considering a sort of 'distressed almond/ivory'
with an antique looking wallpaper on the lower 'squares' (you'd have
to see the place to realize this would work here, normally would
sound pretty stupid).

Remove door.
Take to auto paint shop.
Pick a color.
Replace door.
Won't wash off and you can't paint over it. (Wait! That's a line from a
movie. Never mind.)