Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Who owns a Direct Tv Dish? (the company or the home owner)

I have a rental property. The tenants moved out and left a Direct Tv
satellite dish on the house. Their lease states that after they give
notice to move, and have finally left the premises, any items left on
the property become the property of myself (the landlord). These
tenants moved a year ago. They keep calling me and saying they want
their satellite dish. I have made them aware that they no longer own
the thing, and if they attempt to remove it, I will have them
prosecuted for trespassing and theft (they left on very bad terms,
owing rent money, etc).

Yesterday I was doing some work on the building and I removed the
dish, and brought it home with me. First off, I dont want it hanging
on the house for no reason, secondly, I dont have to deal with these
idiots calling me anymore, and third, I may be able to sell it, "IF"
they become property of the homeowner........ That's where my
question arises. Are these rented from the Direct Tv company, or do
the homeowner (user) buy them? I dont want to sell it if it belongs
to the company. Otherwise it goes in my scrap metal pile....

Thanks

Alvin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 15:53:27 -0700, "Dave Bugg"

...snip

Are these rented from the Direct Tv company, or do
the homeowner (user) buy them? I dont want to sell it if it belongs
to the company. Otherwise it goes in my scrap metal pile....

They are part of an equipment package provided by DirectTV in exchange for a
specified contract. Technically, it would belong to the company if the
renters did not complete the terms of their contract.

I purchased a dish and receiver in a big box store years ago.

I seriously doubt DTV would want to "mess" with the old stuff. Rupert
is busy :-)

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 17:40:16 -0500, alvinamorey wrote:

[...]

Just call DD and ask them if they want it. That way you dont have to deal
with the hassle. Let DD handle it.

I dont think you can withhold it in lieu of money owed. If there is a
renters association where you are call them. Ask them what the laws in
your area say.

--
coffee
Linux Registered User #449534

Posted to alt.home.repair

coffee wrote:

I dont think you can withhold it in lieu of money owed.

He didn't give that as justification for keeping the dish. He had written,
"Their lease states that after they give notice to move, and have finally
left the premises, any items left on the property become the property of
myself (the landlord)."
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Basic rule in real property: If a tenant attaches something to the property
(like a fence), it becomes the property of the property owner.

Say your tenants installed a central air conditioning system on which they
still owed money. Yours? Theirs? or the HVAC companies?

The HVAC company has a legal action against the renter, not you. The renter
has a claim against you, but, in lieu of principle #1 above, it doesn't
amount to much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 16:53:27 -0700, "Dave Bugg"
wrote:

coffee wrote:

I dont think you can withhold it in lieu of money owed.

He didn't give that as justification for keeping the dish. He had written,
"Their lease states that after they give notice to move, and have finally
left the premises, any items left on the property become the property of
myself (the landlord)."

My leases had an "abandonment" clause, after X days.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

dish network owns the LNBs, and receivers, everything else is low
value and stays with the home

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 21:02:53 -0400, Terry
wrote:

They give them away for free. From what I understand if you don't
have a card that has a valid subscription, they won't work anyway.

Cards will not; also, transcend receivers - memory/EPROM. The card is
a real computer. Initialize it and it writes to the card - associates
a receiver to a card, thus subscription.

They gave millions of dishes away.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 12, 10:39?pm, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:
wrote:
dish network owns the LNBs, and receivers, everything else is low
value and stays with the home

Take another peek at the subject line and get back to us on that. I don't
believe Dish owns anything mentioned here in this case.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

my point is that i have specific knowledge of dish having used to be a
dealer, and direct is likely the same. the dishes are low priced
cheap, and as such companies dont care, return and refurbish will cost
more than a new one, and who would want a used dish on their home?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I am NOT an attorney (although I often play one in saloons
when I've had enought to drink).

Your tenant made a leasehold improvement. Unless there is a
written agreement to the contrary, the improvement belongs
to you. Direct TV certainly knows this and probably doesn't
care as they would hope the next tenant will subscribe. OTOH
your former tenants may be being dunned by DT for not
skipping out and need the box to avoid some payment.

Call DT and get the straight scoop.

Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair

or......Hard work never killed anyone, but why take chances?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Junior Member

I'm not any attorney...hehe..... (more like h.s. student), but my uncle and
Grandpa are, and my uncle was reading this almost out loud a minute ago,
from behind my chair to my Grandpa for old-time-sake laughs...hehe.. AND he
claims that "if" you gave ANY kind of prior WARNING of this item being left
behind and THEY did NOT respond, they have pretty much GIVEN-UP ALL RIGHTS
to such property. Especially if they have been informed of leaving such
property in person by mail, E-mail, msgr, or attorney. If more than once,
he claims, they have undoubtedly given up any property claim.

He says, UNLESS he has been paying satellite receiving bill for that item
(by serial) this WHOLE time, he has made it the property of anyone who
claims it, just as if left in garbage, street side.

Dunno if that helps any...doubtful..., but I'm sure the bill would be
devastatingly higher in person...lol....

He only asks what "exact" U.S. state or territory you are in (USA,
CANADA,U.K.,RU., ETC,..) to be "absolutely" positive. He's telling me what
to type, or atleast watching over this one...lol...

Joey
near N.E. FL(USA)

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

An old dish is worthless. The latest dishes have 5 LNBs and have to be
aimed to receive all 5 satellites. The OP was only concerned about the
dish (the box was probably taken by the renter).

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

---MIKE--- wrote:
An old dish is worthless. The latest dishes have 5 LNBs and have to
be aimed to receive all 5 satellites.

Only if you want hi-def channels. Dual LNBs are still fine for standard def
channels.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dick Adams" wrote in message

[...]

This is in Wisconsin, USA. I agree with what you said. Not to
mention that my lease with the tenants clearly stated that any
property attached to the building becomes a permanent part of the
building when the tenant leaves. It also states that any property
left in the home when the tenant moves, (furniture, etc) is considered
abandoned and the landlord can dispose of it, (and goes on to explain
that the landlord may charge the tenant for disposal, etc) This is
not the exact wording used in the lease, but it explains what is done
with things left by tenants. In other words, once the tenant moves,
whatever they leave behind is no longer theirs.

This problem tenant moved a year ago. Besides the dish on the house,
(not the receiver box) they left several garden tools in the garden
shed (which are in my garage now), and a whole bunch of junked
furniture, and other garbage, which cost me about $250 to dispose of.

I removed the dish and the cable, and had to caulk the hole in the
house where the cable entered. I now have the dish at home (dont need
it), and the cable I will save even if I toss the dish in my scrap
pile. I took the whole thing off the house, bracket and all. If
another tenant wants a dish, they can use the same holes, but I will
likely sell the property before I rent it again. Being a landlord is
not my cup of tea.

I mainly asked this question because I am sure this tenant will call
again, even though I told them numerous times that they no longer own
the damn thing, and if they attempt to enter the property, they will
be prosecuted. However, they are persistent and annoying, not to
mention really dumb....... At least now, if they call, the thing is
gone and I'll just tell them the company must have taken it......
My main reason to remove the thing was not so much the appearance of
it, but I am tired of hearing about it. Plus that is one less thing
for the siding company to remove when I get the place resided before I
list it with a realtor.

Alvin
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Tell your renters to call me or any number of X-direct tv subscribers.
Direct tv apparently leaves them in place as advertisment. They are
worthless.

wrote in message
[...]

Stanp2323 owner of SP TRADING COMPANY nasty attitude don't buy don't buy don't buy Eric Woodworking 4 July 18th 07 12:23 PM
Direct TV vs Dish Terry Home Repair 13 May 3rd 07 04:58 AM
Which "Home Owner Warranty" Company do you recommend? WalkerTexasHiker Home Ownership 6 March 20th 07 02:47 AM
Dish/Direct TV vs Cable FreespiritedFem Home Repair 37 December 11th 04 12:06 AM
Lighting Direct: A good company to do business with. parish UK diy 0 September 6th 03 09:35 PM