Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Direct TV vs Dish

My sister used Dish for quite a few years. Her equipment was looking
pretty ragged.

I talked her into switching to Direct TV so she could get 3 months
free movies and new equipment.

Well after a little over a year she is having trouble with one of her
tuner boxes. She says she has to reset the box to get it to work. It
will work for a while and then she has to reset the box again.

Direct TV wants 75$ to come out and check it. I asked for a
replacement box, but they say it is the cable and not the box and they
want to make the 75$ service call.

I am thinking that she should just go back to Dish and get a new 3
month free movies and a free installation.

Thoughts?

BTW She said that Dish never wanted to charge her a service call the
whole time she was with them.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Terry wrote:

snip

they say it is the cable and not the box and they
want to make the 75$ service call.

If they say it is 'the cable' and assuming it is not their input
cable, then why not simply buzz down to Radio Shack or Circuit City
and get another cable to determine if that is the problem? It
shouldn't cost much and it might just work. Minor corrosion can make
high frequency stuff go funky. Happens more often in field prepared
cabling than factory built assemblies/
If the experiment fails, then switching companies seems logical. Good
luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 May 2007 14:33:22 -0400, Terry
wrote:

My sister used Dish for quite a few years. Her equipment was looking
pretty ragged.

I talked her into switching to Direct TV so she could get 3 months
free movies and new equipment.

Well after a little over a year she is having trouble with one of her
tuner boxes. She says she has to reset the box to get it to work. It
will work for a while and then she has to reset the box again.

Direct TV wants 75$ to come out and check it. I asked for a
replacement box, but they say it is the cable and not the box and they
want to make the 75$ service call.

I am thinking that she should just go back to Dish and get a new 3
month free movies and a free installation.

Thoughts?

BTW She said that Dish never wanted to charge her a service call the
whole time she was with them.

The suggestions to temporary replace the cable might be an option. She
lives in another state, but I do visit often.

The thing that makes me suspect the tuner is because, one trip there,
I tried my nephew's tuner in his sister's room and it did not work.

But......I also tried the sister's tuner in his room and that didn't
work either.

My sister has 3 tuners. From what I understand the receiver on the
dish has ports for 2 tuners. This would mean that his box could be on
a separate tuner.

If he leaves the box off for a period of time the unit starts working
again. This makes me suspect the tuner the most.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry" wrote in message
My sister used Dish for quite a few years. Her equipment was looking
pretty ragged.

I talked her into switching to Direct TV so she could get 3 months
free movies and new equipment.

Well after a little over a year she is having trouble with one of her
tuner boxes. She says she has to reset the box to get it to work. It
will work for a while and then she has to reset the box again.

Direct TV wants 75$ to come out and check it. I asked for a
replacement box, but they say it is the cable and not the box and they
want to make the 75$ service call.

I am thinking that she should just go back to Dish and get a new 3
month free movies and a free installation.

Thoughts?

BTW She said that Dish never wanted to charge her a service call the
whole time she was with them.

I just had a similar problem with Directv. My DVR had to be rebooted at
least once a week. They sent me a refurb box of which I had to pay $20
shipping and handling. I had to install the box and then get it activated. I
spent over 3 hours on the phone getting this thing working. I was at the
point of telling them to shove everything. We finally got that box working
properly and whatever they did, knocked off one of my other boxes and that
didn't work. One hour later, all was well and they graciously gave me 3
months of Showtime for my trouble. They also wanted to charge a service
charge for a repairman to come out. One more incident like this and I'm
going back to (choke) cable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry" wrote in message
My sister used Dish for quite a few years. Her equipment was looking
pretty ragged.

I talked her into switching to Direct TV so she could get 3 months
free movies and new equipment.

Well after a little over a year she is having trouble with one of her
tuner boxes. She says she has to reset the box to get it to work. It
will work for a while and then she has to reset the box again.

Direct TV wants 75$ to come out and check it. I asked for a
replacement box, but they say it is the cable and not the box and they
want to make the 75$ service call.

I am thinking that she should just go back to Dish and get a new 3
month free movies and a free installation.

Thoughts?

Have her swap the two boxes. If the problem goes with the box, the box is
the problem.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 3:58�pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"Terry" wrote in message

My sister used Dish for quite a few years. *Her equipment was looking
pretty ragged.

I talked her into switching to Direct TV so she could get 3 months
free movies and new equipment.

Well after a little over a year she is having trouble with one of her
tuner boxes. *She says she has to reset the box to get it to work. *It
will work for a while and then she has to reset the box again.

Direct TV wants 75$ to come out and check it. *I asked for a
replacement box, but they say it is the cable and not the box and they
want to make the 75$ service call.

I am thinking that she should just go back to Dish and get a new 3
month free movies and a free installation.

Thoughts?

Have her swap the two boxes. If the problem goes with the box, the box is
the problem.

Bob- Hide quoted text -

do the box swap, then threaten cancellation.if your out of your
contract period, they will be very accomodating

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had Dish in my office and Direc in the house. I had such bad service from
Direc that I now have Dish in both places.

--
JC from Gnat Flats

Please cc your email to:

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry" wrote in message
My sister used Dish for quite a few years. Her equipment was looking
pretty ragged.

I talked her into switching to Direct TV so she could get 3 months
free movies and new equipment.

Well after a little over a year she is having trouble with one of her
tuner boxes. She says she has to reset the box to get it to work. It
will work for a while and then she has to reset the box again.

Direct TV wants 75$ to come out and check it. I asked for a
replacement box, but they say it is the cable and not the box and they
want to make the 75$ service call.

Swap one of your working ones with the suspect one. See if it fails in the other
room also.

I am thinking that she should just go back to Dish and get a new 3
month free movies and a free installation.

Thoughts?

Promotional offers limited to "new customers only".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 5:20 pm, " wrote:
On May 2, 3:58?pm, "Bob F" wrote:

do the box swap, then threaten cancellation.if your out of your
contract period, they will be very accomodating.

I actually did call customer service and explain to them that she
could go back to Dish to give them a chance to fix it free.

They declined.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 8:28 pm, "Steve Barker" wrote:

I can't believe she let you talk her into changing for no reason.

I bet she is saying the same thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 5:48�pm, "jim menning" wrote:

[...]

new name, new SS number new phone number = new customer

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 9:12�pm, Terry wrote:
On May 2, 8:28 pm, "Steve Barker" wrote:

I can't believe she let you talk her into changing for no reason.

I bet she is saying the same thing. *

dish has boxes that output to 2 tvs at same time, GET A DVR! this
saves the 5 buck mirror charge if you leave the receiver plugged into
a phone line.

yopu can get lots more info a satellite guys, they specialize on
satellite tv info, I am a poster there.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

[...]

I haven't read the whole thread, but if she has two tuners, can't she
interchange them and see if the problem follows the tuner? That would
usually mean it's a tuner problem. If the problem stays where it is,
that means it's something else, like the cable.

Easier yet, to check the cables, interchange them at the receiver, and
see if the problem follows the port or the cable/tuner.

Both tests may have to be done. The second first might be more
important but the second is easier.

Dish Sanitizer Mark S Home Repair 6 March 7th 07 10:49 PM
dish washer mauro Home Repair 1 August 12th 06 04:41 AM
satellite dish JAT Electronics Repair 3 August 24th 05 01:55 AM
Dish/Direct TV vs Cable FreespiritedFem Home Repair 37 December 11th 04 01:06 AM
Dish tv Muff Home Repair 5 November 24th 04 12:11 AM