Posted to alt.home.repair
Mortimer Schnerd, RN Mortimer Schnerd, RN is offline

Default Who owns a Direct Tv Dish? (the company or the home owner)

wrote:
my point is that i have specific knowledge of dish having used to be a
dealer, and direct is likely the same. the dishes are low priced
cheap, and as such companies dont care, return and refurbish will cost
more than a new one, and who would want a used dish on their home?

I'm not exactly sure what you've written but here's the deal with DirecTV:

There are two avenues for getting equipment such as receivers and dishes: 1)
you can buy it direct at Circuit City (or other distributors similar to it like
Best Buy or a bunch of places online). If you do, you own the equipment. 2)
you can get free from a multitude of sources but if you do there will be a
minimum service agreement required while DirecTV retains ownership. If you
don't meet your end of the bargain there are some pretty stiff penalties. But
you can get them to come out to the house and install a multi-room system free.

All of that being said, I believe DirecTV retains ownership of the card no
matter how you obtain it.

As for the former, I know for a fact that this is true as I own all my own
equipment and have also installed a four receiver system in my father's house
that my brother and I gave him for Christmas. Now he owns the system... not
DirecTV (except the cards, of course).

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com