Posted to alt.home.repair
SYKOTABOY SYKOTABOY is offline
Junior Member

Default Who owns a Direct Tv Dish? (the company or the home owner)

I'm not any attorney...hehe..... (more like h.s. student), but my uncle and
Grandpa are, and my uncle was reading this almost out loud a minute ago,
from behind my chair to my Grandpa for old-time-sake laughs...hehe.. AND he
claims that "if" you gave ANY kind of prior WARNING of this item being left
behind and THEY did NOT respond, they have pretty much GIVEN-UP ALL RIGHTS
to such property. Especially if they have been informed of leaving such
property in person by mail, E-mail, msgr, or attorney. If more than once,
he claims, they have undoubtedly given up any property claim.

He says, UNLESS he has been paying satellite receiving bill for that item
(by serial) this WHOLE time, he has made it the property of anyone who
claims it, just as if left in garbage, street side.

Dunno if that helps any...doubtful..., but I'm sure the bill would be
devastatingly higher in person...lol....

He only asks what "exact" U.S. state or territory you are in (USA,
CANADA,U.K.,RU., ETC,..) to be "absolutely" positive. He's telling me what
to type, or atleast watching over this one...lol...

Joey
near N.E. FL(USA)

"Dick Adams" wrote in message

I have a rental property. The tenants moved out and left a Direct Tv
satellite dish on the house. Their lease states that after they give
notice to move, and have finally left the premises, any items left on
the property become the property of myself (the landlord). These
tenants moved a year ago. They keep calling me and saying they want
their satellite dish. I have made them aware that they no longer own
the thing, and if they attempt to remove it, I will have them
prosecuted for trespassing and theft (they left on very bad terms,
owing rent money, etc).

Yesterday I was doing some work on the building and I removed the
dish, and brought it home with me. First off, I dont want it hanging
on the house for no reason, secondly, I dont have to deal with these
idiots calling me anymore, and third, I may be able to sell it, "IF"
they become property of the homeowner........ That's where my
question arises. Are these rented from the Direct Tv company, or do
the homeowner (user) buy them? I dont want to sell it if it belongs
to the company. Otherwise it goes in my scrap metal pile....

I am NOT an attorney (although I often play one in saloons
when I've had enought to drink).

Your tenant made a leasehold improvement. Unless there is a
written agreement to the contrary, the improvement belongs
to you. Direct TV certainly knows this and probably doesn't
care as they would hope the next tenant will subscribe. OTOH
your former tenants may be being dunned by DT for not
skipping out and need the box to avoid some payment.

Call DT and get the straight scoop.

Dick