Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outlet position according to code.

Has anyone determined the correct way to mount an outlet according to
code these days? I dont have a current NEC book. For many years
everyone mounted them with the ground on the bottom. Then some years
back they wanted the ground on the top, the reason given was because
of objects falling onto the hot terminal of a plug. After that, it
seems like the rules changed again, and the last I heard it was no
longer a "rule" but simply personal choice. Of course that was
several years ago too.

From a personal point of view, I think they look stupid when the
ground is on the top. I can somewhat understand the problem with the
hot prong on the top and gravity issue, but aside from a metal outlet
cover losing it's screw and falling onto the hot terminal, it seems
pretty unlikely that any other metal object would contact the prongs.
If a child is playing around an outlet, they can touch the hot prong
from the bottom as well as the top. Of course they should get their
butt kicked for playing with an outlet, (which of course will violate
another law and get the parent sent to prison for physical abuse to a
child..... but that's another issue, not to be discussed here).

In the end, it seems that this matter becomes pretty senseless in the
end. If the prongs of a plug are that loose, the plug usually falls
out of the wall. As long as people keep metal (and all) outlet cover
plate screws tight, there should be no real issue.

But code is code, (right or wrong). According to code, what is the
latest "approved" method to mount an outlet?
I am asking this because I have an old neighbor who calls himself an
electrician. (In reality, he's a handyman who does some minor
electrical work, such as adding an outlet). He said he has not read
the code in at least ten years, (probably more than 20 years). Yet he
insists that my outlets all need to be flipped to put the ground on
the top.

Alvin

Posted to alt.home.repair

ive never failed an inspection going ground down ;-)

wrote:
Has anyone determined the correct way to mount an outlet according toqcode

these days? I dont have a current NEC book. For many yearsÿeveryone mounted
them with the ground on the bottom. Then some yearspback they wanted the
ground on the top, the reason given was becauseof objects falling onto the
hot terminal of a plug. After that, itseems like the rules changed again,
and the last I heard it was no‡longer a "rule" but simply personal choice. Of
course that wasrseveral years ago too. From a personal point of view, I
think they look stupid when theground is on the top. I can somewhat
understand the problem with thehot prong on the top and gravity issue, but
aside from a metal outlet™cover losing it's screw and falling onto the hot
terminal, it seemsØpretty unlikely that any other metal object would contact
the prongs.If a child is playing around an outlet, they can touch the hot
prongsfrom the bottom as well as the top. Of course they should get
theirmbutt kicked for playing with an outlet, (which of course will
violateanother law and get the parent sent to prison for physical abuse to
achild..... but that's another issue, not to be discussed here).„In the end,
it seems that this matter becomes pretty senseless in theÎend. If the prongs
of a plug are that loose, the plug usually fallsRout of the wall. As long as
people keep metal (and all) outlet coverplate screws tight, there should be
no real issue.vBut code is code, (right or wrong). According to code, what
is thelatest "approved" method to mount an outlet? qI am asking this because
I have an old neighbor who calls himself anelectrician. (In reality, he's a
handyman who does some minor~electrical work, such as adding an outlet). He
said he has not readthe code in at least ten years, (probably more than 20
years). Yet heˆinsists that my outlets all need to be flipped to put the
ground onxthe top. Alvin

Posted to alt.home.repair

there is no rule on this, other than no face up on a counter as previously
mentioned. Never has been. so tell mr. electrician to produce some
documention (from ANY year) that proves his point.

wrote in message
Has anyone determined the correct way to mount an outlet according to
code these days? I dont have a current NEC book. For many years
everyone mounted them with the ground on the bottom. Then some years
back they wanted the ground on the top, the reason given was because
of objects falling onto the hot terminal of a plug. After that, it
seems like the rules changed again, and the last I heard it was no
longer a "rule" but simply personal choice. Of course that was
several years ago too.

From a personal point of view, I think they look stupid when the
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Has anyone determined the correct way to mount an outlet according to
code these days? I dont have a current NEC book. For many years
everyone mounted them with the ground on the bottom. Then some years
back they wanted the ground on the top, the reason given was because
of objects falling onto the hot terminal of a plug. After that, it
seems like the rules changed again, and the last I heard it was no
longer a "rule" but simply personal choice. Of course that was
several years ago too.

From a personal point of view, I think they look stupid when the
[...]

Alvin- Hide quoted text -

ground up is better, having once dropped change into a outlet with
ground down. the spark display was impressive

some new homes all outlets but swiched ones are ground up, switched
ones ground down. saves service calls for dead outets

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 21, 5:47 pm, wrote:
Has anyone determined the correct way to mount an outlet according to
code these days?

..
Alvin:
We recently had a long long thread here on this ng on this very topic.
It covered all the options and the outcome was that unless there is
written local code in some jurisdiction, there is nothing in the
National Electrical Code (American) that defines up, down or sideways!
Here in Canada where our systems (especially residential/domestic) are
very similar we have found nothing either.
Here, in this part of Canada it does seem that some of the wal-warts
and small chargers for rechargeable batteries, cell phones,
rechargeable flashlights etc. presently available are easier to use
with the ground on the bottom. But that is only a personal
observation.
Built this house some 37 years ago; ours tend to be on the bottom or
occasionally sideways! Terry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 21, 3:47 pm, wrote:
Has anyone determined the correct way to mount an outlet according to
code these days? I dont have a current NEC book. For many years
everyone mounted them with the ground on the bottom. Then some years

If you look at most receptacles, the manufacturer's writing on the
outlet is right side up with the ground prong up.

I vote up.

We were required to put them "up" in Atlanta health care facilities.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 21, 6:50 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , wrote:
Has anyone determined the correct way to mount an outlet according to
code these days? [...]
But code is code, (right or wrong). According to code, what is the
latest "approved" method to mount an outlet?

The Code doesn't care, and never has.

I am asking this because I have an old neighbor who calls himself an
electrician. (In reality, he's a handyman who does some minor
electrical work, such as adding an outlet). He said he has not read
the code in at least ten years, (probably more than 20 years). Yet he
insists that my outlets all need to be flipped to put the ground on
the top.

My guess is, he's *never* read a Code book. Want to make some easy money? Bet
him fifty bucks he can't show you *any* edition of the NEC, no matter how
ancient or recent, that specifies whether receptacles in walls must be mounted
up, down, or sideways. He doesn't have the first clue what he's talking about.

Is there a section in Health Care?

I don't use that online code book because I don't use Java due to
security risks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Has anyone determined the correct way to mount an outlet according to
code these days?

From a personal point of view, I think they look stupid when the
ground is on the top.

Code does not care. Seems to be getting more and more the accepted practice
to have them ground up, especially in offices where a paper clip could fall
onto the prongs. I don't know if there are any documented cases of a paper
clip falling onto prongs though.

In my case, two room air conditioners would have the cord hand better if the
pin was up. I recently bought a power strip and the cord can be rotated on
the plug to easily accommodate either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 18:54:44 -0700, Terry
wrote:

On Sep 21, 3:47 pm, wrote:
Has anyone determined the correct way to mount an outlet according to
code these days? I dont have a current NEC book. For many years
everyone mounted them with the ground on the bottom. Then some years

If you look at most receptacles, the manufacturer's writing on the
outlet is right side up with the ground prong up.

I vote up.

We were required to put them "up" in Atlanta health care facilities.

But all those 3 neon bulb outlet testers they sell have their wording
right side up if the outlet is ground prong down. You'd have to stand
on your head to use one if the ground prong was up.

My stove needs a ground prong down outlet, my refridgerator needs a
ground prong up outlet.

-dickm
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

None that I'm aware of -- not that it would be relevant to the OP anyway.

I don't use that online code book because I don't use Java due to
security risks.

It's not available at the moment anyway...

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , wrote:
[...]

Just curious. I have heard about this online code book. Where is it
(the URL)?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 07:00:11 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Has anyone determined the correct way to mount an outlet according to
code these days?

From a personal point of view, I think they look stupid when the
ground is on the top.

Code does not care. Seems to be getting more and more the accepted practice
to have them ground up, especially in offices where a paper clip could fall
onto the prongs. I don't know if there are any documented cases of a paper
clip falling onto prongs though.

In my case, two room air conditioners would have the cord hand better if the
pin was up. I recently bought a power strip and the cord can be rotated on
the plug to easily accommodate either.

Too bad they dont make outlets where the ground pin can be rotated to
the preferred side. LOL.

I never realized how confusing and complicated this could all get.
The point about the neon tester is a good one, since they are intended
for the ground down. As far as paperclips landing on outlets in an
office, that should be grounds for dismissal. Throwing paperclips is
dangerous and should not be tolerated. Heaven forbid if the ground
prong was UP, and the paperclip got hung on it, and touched the hot
prong as it spun around the ground prong.

I sure am glad the code dont specify the correct way, the whole world
would be in chaos......

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Although it's never been in the NEC, I remember around 10 -12 years ago,
electrical inspectors telling us to start installing outlets with ground up,
because it was going to be code. I also remember at the same time right
angle plugs started coming out with ground up, but nothing ever came of it.
The rational for ground up, always seemed a little lame to me. Those folks
in Batterymarch Park have a little to much time on their hands

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's not a little lame. It's a LOT lame.

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
The rational for ground up, always seemed a little lame to me. Those folks
in Batterymarch Park have a little to much time on their hands

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'll bet you could, on purpose, dump a whole box of paperclips right down
the wall, and none would land on the prongs. And if the cord was plugged in
properly, the prongs won't be exposed anyway.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
Code does not care. Seems to be getting more and more the accepted
practice to have them ground up, especially in offices where a paper clip
could fall onto the prongs. I don't know if there are any documented
cases of a paper clip falling onto prongs though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sep 21, 3:47 pm, wrote:
Has anyone determined the correct way to mount an outlet according to
code these days? I dont have a current NEC book. For many years
everyone mounted them with the ground on the bottom. Then some years

If you look at most receptacles, the manufacturer's writing on the
outlet is right side up with the ground prong up.

I vote up.

We were required to put them "up" in Atlanta health care facilities.

But all those 3 neon bulb outlet testers they sell have their wording
right side up if the outlet is ground prong down. You'd have to stand
on your head to use one if the ground prong was up.

Both of my testers have the lights visible from either side. No
headstands required.

My stove needs a ground prong down outlet, my refridgerator needs a
ground prong up outlet.

-dickm

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message
from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive,
please ignore it. If you don't know how to
ignore a posting, complain to me and I will
demonstrate."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 07:44:41 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 07:00:11 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
Has anyone determined the correct way to mount an outlet according to
code these days?

From a personal point of view, I think they look stupid when the
ground is on the top.

Code does not care. Seems to be getting more and more the accepted practice
to have them ground up, especially in offices where a paper clip could fall
onto the prongs. I don't know if there are any documented cases of a paper
clip falling onto prongs though.

In my case, two room air conditioners would have the cord hand better if the
pin was up. I recently bought a power strip and the cord can be rotated on
the plug to easily accommodate either.

Too bad they dont make outlets where the ground pin can be rotated to
the preferred side. LOL.

I never realized how confusing and complicated this could all get.
The point about the neon tester is a good one, since they are intended
for the ground down.

Such a tester should work just as well with either orientation. I
don't have any ground-up wall receptacles to try this with, but they
work fine in extension cords turned any way.

As far as paperclips landing on outlets in an
office, that should be grounds for dismissal. Throwing paperclips is
dangerous and should not be tolerated.

Rules don't prevent accidents (or 2 year olds).

Heaven forbid if the ground
prong was UP, and the paperclip got hung on it, and touched the hot
prong as it spun around the ground prong.

That would be difficult to arrange. You could fit a paper clip around
the ground prong and then plug it in.

I sure am glad the code dont specify the correct way, the whole world
would be in chaos......

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message
from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive,
please ignore it. If you don't know how to
ignore a posting, complain to me and I will
demonstrate."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 08:27:53 -0500, "Steve Barker LT"
wrote:

I'll bet you could, on purpose, dump a whole box of paperclips right down
the wall, and none would land on the prongs.

However, the probability of this causing a short is still greater than
with the ground up.

And if the cord was plugged in
properly, the prongs won't be exposed anyway.

These things (plugs) do get knocked loose. If the prongs still make
contact, the user is unlikely to notice.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .
Code does not care. Seems to be getting more and more the accepted
practice to have them ground up, especially in offices where a paper clip
could fall onto the prongs. I don't know if there are any documented
cases of a paper clip falling onto prongs though.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message
from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive,
please ignore it. If you don't know how to
ignore a posting, complain to me and I will
demonstrate."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 10:02:12 -0400, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

Isn't that why God created circuit breakers?

There's still a spark, and sometimes a receptacle will be close to a
leaking gas heater.

"Steve Barker LT" wrote in message
m...
I'll bet you could, on purpose, dump a whole box of paperclips right down
the wall, and none would land on the prongs. And if the cord was plugged
in properly, the prongs won't be exposed anyway.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
Code does not care. Seems to be getting more and more the accepted
practice to have them ground up, especially in offices where a paper clip
could fall onto the prongs. I don't know if there are any documented
cases of a paper clip falling onto prongs though.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message
from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive,
please ignore it. If you don't know how to
ignore a posting, complain to me and I will
demonstrate."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Too bad they dont make outlets where the ground pin can be rotated to
the preferred side. LOL.

Like this:

http://www.360electrical.com/index-3.html

--
*** email address mangled ***

Look at the email address before replying.
It is easy to fix. Thanks
Dave Schultz

wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 07:00:11 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
Has anyone determined the correct way to mount an outlet according to
code these days?

From a personal point of view, I think they look stupid when the
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Isn't that why God created circuit breakers?

There's still a spark, and sometimes a receptacle will be close to a
leaking gas heater.

That is why you put up the asbestos barrier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 13:16:42 -0400, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

I think you have to many "what if's" to make it practical

That could be true if installing a receptacle ground-up was any harder
than installing it ground-down. Since there isn't any difference
there, even a very small difference in risk makes it worthwhile.

.. .

news:mb2dnfcgz8oKimjbnZ2dnUVZ_v2unZ2d@giganews. com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 16:46:11 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Isn't that why God created circuit breakers?

There's still a spark, and sometimes a receptacle will be close to a
leaking gas heater.

That is why you put up the asbestos barrier.

And hope you don't have one of those non-trip breakers people have
been talking about.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message
from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive,
please ignore it. If you don't know how to
ignore a posting, complain to me and I will
demonstrate."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Isn't that why God created circuit breakers?

There's still a spark, and sometimes a receptacle will be close to a
leaking gas heater.

That is why you put up the asbestos barrier.

You really shouldn't enter a room where electricity may be in use,
without leather gloves, a full face mask, and a kevlar suit.
Particularly now that so many of our electrons are imported from China.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It was required by the person who brought us our paychecks.

The reason he gave was that a metal item falling down the wall would
hit the ground plug instead of the hot if the cord was not fully
plugged in. (We also used stainless steel receptacle covers and the
screws do work loose)

"They" said it was a requirement in "patient care areas" Dunno if it
was local or where it came from, but it was law for us.

On Sep 22, 9:25 am, "Steve Barker LT"
wrote:
required by who?

"Terry" wrote in message

ps.com...

If you look at most receptacles, the manufacturer's writing on the
outlet is right side up with the ground prong up.

I vote up.

We were required to put them "up" in Atlanta health care facilities

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry" wrote in message
ps.com...
It was required by the person who brought us our paychecks.

Seems like a good enough reason to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you're a follower and never question authority, i guess it's a good rule.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Terry" wrote in message
ps.com...
It was required by the person who brought us our paychecks.f

Seems like a good enough reason to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker LT" wrote in message
If you're a follower and never question authority, i guess it's a good
rule.

There are times to vehemently question authority, there are times to do what
you are told.

Works both way. I often take the suggestions from subordinates but I
sometimes just say "that is the way I want it". I don't have to give a
reason, other than I'm the boss.