Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr.John

Default Ok to use outlet boxes larger than required by code?

I'm adding a room in a basement and running a couple of new circuits.
Since the electrical boxes are a trivial expense compared to everything
else, I have purchased the largest capacity boxes to use for all my
outlet and switch connections, rather than buying smaller capacity
boxes where I have only a couple of connections to save a dime.

I have assumed it is against code to have a box that is too small, but
fine to have one that is larger than required. Is this in fact the
case?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Waller

On 5 Mar 2006 09:38:55 -0800, "Dr.John" wrote:

I'm adding a room in a basement and running a couple of new circuits.
Since the electrical boxes are a trivial expense compared to everything
else, I have purchased the largest capacity boxes to use for all my
outlet and switch connections, rather than buying smaller capacity
boxes where I have only a couple of connections to save a dime.

I have assumed it is against code to have a box that is too small, but
fine to have one that is larger than required. Is this in fact the
case?

I have never had an inspector balk at a box to large; too small, yes, but never
too large. Personally, I have always preferred the deeper boxes. I don't like,
however, using square J boxes with mud rings. They are too much trouble when
applying the wall skin, be it drywall or paneling.
____________________
Even if you are the on right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
--Will Rogers
____________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Mar 2006 09:38:55 -0800, "Dr.John" wrote:

I'm adding a room in a basement and running a couple of new circuits.
Since the electrical boxes are a trivial expense compared to everything
else, I have purchased the largest capacity boxes to use for all my
outlet and switch connections, rather than buying smaller capacity
boxes where I have only a couple of connections to save a dime.

I have assumed it is against code to have a box that is too small, but
fine to have one that is larger than required. Is this in fact the
case?

Perfectly legal.
If you want, you can have a box custom made that you can part you car
in, as long as the wires are enclosed inside. (Of course if you plan
to park in there, you'll have to put a smaller box inside )

15 or 20 Amp barry martin Home Repair 7 November 26th 04 04:41 PM
blower keeps running on 383KAV gas furnace - error code is 33 Thomas Miller Home Repair 10 October 12th 04 01:05 AM
Do you have Past Woodpeck Weekly Special Email? Jeremy Woodworking 2 August 8th 04 03:24 AM
Repairing home in Pennsylvania BS! TOM KAN PA Home Repair 7 May 12th 04 03:06 PM
Building code: Electrical boxes back-to-back, how many _firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca.us Home Ownership 1 March 15th 04 07:34 PM