Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Waller

Default Ok to use outlet boxes larger than required by code?

On 5 Mar 2006 09:38:55 -0800, "Dr.John" wrote:

I'm adding a room in a basement and running a couple of new circuits.
Since the electrical boxes are a trivial expense compared to everything
else, I have purchased the largest capacity boxes to use for all my
outlet and switch connections, rather than buying smaller capacity
boxes where I have only a couple of connections to save a dime.

I have assumed it is against code to have a box that is too small, but
fine to have one that is larger than required. Is this in fact the
case?

I have never had an inspector balk at a box to large; too small, yes, but never
too large. Personally, I have always preferred the deeper boxes. I don't like,
however, using square J boxes with mud rings. They are too much trouble when
applying the wall skin, be it drywall or paneling.
Even if you are the on right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
--Will Rogers
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA