Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Outlet position according to code.

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 08:27:53 -0500, "Steve Barker LT"
wrote:

I'll bet you could, on purpose, dump a whole box of paperclips right down
the wall, and none would land on the prongs.

However, the probability of this causing a short is still greater than
with the ground up.

And if the cord was plugged in
properly, the prongs won't be exposed anyway.

These things (plugs) do get knocked loose. If the prongs still make
contact, the user is unlikely to notice.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .
Code does not care. Seems to be getting more and more the accepted
practice to have them ground up, especially in offices where a paper clip
could fall onto the prongs. I don't know if there are any documented
cases of a paper clip falling onto prongs though.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message
from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive,
please ignore it. If you don't know how to
ignore a posting, complain to me and I will
demonstrate."