Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Default Portable A/C on wheels as backup in case the central AC dies?

I'm considering getting an extra portable AC on wheels for the bedroom
(which is upstairs) in case my 20 year old central AC were to suddenly die.
That way, I'd be able to get some sleep at night if I weren't able to
immediately have a new central AC installed or the existing system couldn't
be immediately repaired. Is this a good idea or do you I am crazy to want
to spend a few hundred dollars on something to use as a backup for the
bedroom in case the central AC should fail?

Granted my bedroom has ceiling fan, but I'm afraid that alone won't be
enough, because it will most likely be upper 80s or hotter in the upstairs
bedroom at night should the central AC fail in summer.

When central AC is working normally, as an added benefit, I suppose the
portable may also be useful for purpose of cooling the bedroom at night by a
few degrees without my having to lower the thermostat for the entire house.

I already have a portable AC for the home office (also upstairs), since that
room has a cooling problem. I realize the portables on wheels don't work as
well as window units due to negative pressure, but at night when the outside
temperature is cooler they generally work well. Window units can't be
installed here though.

J.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Jay-n-123" wrote in message
[...]

What it really sounds like is that your current AC isn't working right and
the house isn't insulated/vented well enough to keep the heat from coming
in.

If all you want is a bandaid, why not just install a window fan. Like you
said, the night air is cooler, so that should do the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

What it really sounds like is that your current AC isn't working right and
the house isn't insulated/vented well enough to keep the heat from coming
in.

It's a one zone system for two floors, and so the upstairs is warmer.

If all you want is a bandaid, why not just install a window fan. Like you
said, the night air is cooler, so that should do the job.

How I would install a window fan in a casement window? The portable AC
could be installed using a piece of plexiglas, but not sure how a window fan
could be installed.

J.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Jay-n-123" wrote in message

How I would install a window fan in a casement window? The portable AC
could be installed using a piece of plexiglas, but not sure how a window

fan
could be installed.

Use a ****ing chainsaw.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

--

there are casement window air conditioners they cost more but work
well.

if you own a generator and have a power outage a window ac is a great
thing on a hot night

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Jay-n-123 wrote:
What it really sounds like is that your current AC isn't working right and
the house isn't insulated/vented well enough to keep the heat from coming
in.

It's a one zone system for two floors, and so the upstairs is warmer.

If all you want is a bandaid, why not just install a window fan. Like you
said, the night air is cooler, so that should do the job.

How I would install a window fan in a casement window? The portable AC
could be installed using a piece of plexiglas, but not sure how a window fan
could be installed.

J.

We rigged these up in an apartment we lived in. Buy the window fans
first, so you know the size. Get some kind of plexiglass and cut it to
fit the whole window opening overlapping the edge of the frame, then cut
a piece out of that to fit the fan in, in a vertical position with the
cord coming from the bottom edge. We had plexiglass that was a double
layer insulation type with channels through it and it was frosted for
privacy.

We then cut some 1x3 to fit three sides of the window (the uncut
vertical side, the top, and the cut vertical from the top of the window
to the top of the fan opening) and drilled holes through the 1x and
plexiglass so that the holes would line up.

You then open the window fully and sandwich the window frame between the
plexi (outside) and the 1x (inside) and secure it at each hole with a
wingnut and bolt and some big washers on the plexi side. You do this by
reaching out through the hole you cut to fit the fan into; it can be a
little precarious, especially on the second floor. Have extra hardware
because you'll drop a few and running downstairs to get them gets old.

You then set the fan into the opening, and secure it from falling
forward into the room by putting a spring curtain rod into the window
frame in front of the top edge of the fan.

We're not very handy, but were very proud of ourselves for coming up
with and executing this plan successfully!

Karen
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
DK DK is offline

On Tue, 22 May 2007 04:01:19 GMT, "Jay-n-123"
wrote:

[...]

Portables cost about $400. You can pick up a window unit for $79 at
walmart.

If you don't want it in the window, use the chainsaw like the man
said and put it in the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Jay-n-123" wrote in message
[...]

Pardon the obvious, but the system IS 20 years old, instead of waiting for
it to fail, get it replaced now and be done with it. That way, you might be
out of A/C for maybe a day, instead of weeks. Do you wait for the engine in
your car to blow up before trading it in on a new one??

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Why not just switch the portable you already have to the BR if needed?

And, PC Richards et al always have these in stock, so IF the central A/C
breaks, just run out and get one.

I have two portable Amanas, one I keep in the shop as a dehumidifier, the
other is on the top floor where the central A/C isn't the greatest.
They suck, but hey.....

The dehumidifying aspect of even a crappy A/C is quite a help on some days.
I did the calcs some time ago (based on what a small A/C condenses out), and
a 5 ton central A/C can crank out 100-200 gals of water on a single humid
day.
Almost pure, second only to true distilled water.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

"Jay-n-123" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in
message ...
Why not just switch the portable you already have to the BR if needed?

And, PC Richards et al always have these in stock, so IF the central A/C
breaks, just run out and get one.

I have two portable Amanas, one I keep in the shop as a dehumidifier, the
other is on the top floor where the central A/C isn't the greatest.
They suck, but hey.....

The dehumidifying aspect of even a crappy A/C is quite a help on some
days.
I did the calcs some time ago (based on what a small A/C condenses out),
and a 5 ton central A/C can crank out 100-200 gals of water on a single
humid day.
Almost pure, second only to true distilled water.

Really?? what about all the stuff in the air that is being carried off by
that condensate water?? all of the contaminates in the air that your
breathing?? You can drink it if you want, not me.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in
message ...
Almost pure, second only to true distilled water.

Well.... almost pure except for the boogers, dust, dead dust mites, live
dust mites, and fungus.

Yes, PV, _almost_ pure! G

(Actually... we capture and filter condensate at the plant for "almost pure"
applications. At least it's mostly de-mineralized. LOTs cheaper than the
Zephyr Hills Guy coming twice a week.)

LLoyd

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Jay-n-123 wrote:
I'm considering getting an extra portable AC on wheels for the bedroom
(which is upstairs) in case my 20 year old central AC were to
suddenly die. That way, I'd be able to get some sleep at night if I
weren't able to immediately have a new central AC installed or the
existing system couldn't be immediately repaired. Is this a good
idea or do you I am crazy to want to spend a few hundred dollars on
something to use as a backup for the bedroom in case the central AC
should fail?

Install a 5,000 BTU window unit. Turn off the house AC at night.

Your electrical bills will drop by almost half.

As for installation, we removed the glass from one pane and replaced it with
3/8" plywood, then cut a hole in the plywood to house the AC unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Noon-Air" wrote in message

[...]

Had a guy drink some water from his condensing furnace cause he thought it
was pure. LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

If I were to do something like this I'd not just "keep it around in
case". That's what stores are for. Actually, I'd probably simple
move the existing portable unit to the bedroom until I could get the
central air fixed. I mean, unless you live in Florida, or something I
would think that you could limp by on just the one portable until you
get your central air fixed.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Jay-n-123" wrote in message
I'm considering getting an extra portable AC on wheels for the bedroom
(which is upstairs) in case my 20 year old central AC were to suddenly
die. That way, I'd be able to get some sleep at night if I weren't able
to immediately have a new central AC installed or the existing system
couldn't be immediately repaired. Is this a good idea or do you I am
crazy to want to spend a few hundred dollars on something to use as a
backup for the bedroom in case the central AC should fail?

Better buy 2 just in case the backup unit dies.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Excellent idea. Have at it!

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Window fans can be tipped on end. They make horizontal models
which work fine vertical.

If there is such a switch as [auto - fan on], put it on fan on to
see if that helps. On the thermostat.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Jay-n-123" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Ah, but those are likely not allowed either. Imagine if everyone
in the development had a chainsaw running in the window? Hmm?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

ups.com...
wrote:
"Jay-n-123" wrote in message

How I would install a window fan in a casement window? The

portable AC
could be installed using a piece of plexiglas, but not sure

how a window
fan
could be installed.

Use a ****ing chainsaw.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Casement window AC are hard to find. But can be found, if needed.
I believe the OP said the neighborhood didn't allow window AC.

Generator and AC sounds good, but they likely are allowed
neither. Sounds like a housing tract from Hell.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
ups.com...

there are casement window air conditioners they cost more but
work
well.

if you own a generator and have a power outage a window ac is a
great
thing on a hot night

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Please don't confuse him with facts.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
:
: "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote in
: message ...
: and a 5 ton central A/C can crank out 100-200 gals of water
on a single
: humid day.
: Almost pure, second only to true distilled water.
:
: Really?? what about all the stuff in the air that is being
carried off by
: that condensate water?? all of the contaminates in the air that
your
: breathing?? You can drink it if you want, not me.
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Tue, 22 May 2007 20:54:16 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Please don't confuse him with facts.

You wouldnt know a fact from thrid base you ****ing hack.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in
message ...
Well, if the folks here object to A/C condensate, then they must be

getting
dysentery from rainwater in a resevoir.

Well, ****.

Maybe your onto something here.

FWIW, here our well water is of such poor quality that I do collect
condensate during the summer months and use for in-process cutting tool
cooling application.

( Yes, Kris, that would be as in "toilet water" )

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

wrote in message
oups.com...
If I were to do something like this I'd not just "keep it around in
case". That's what stores are for. Actually, I'd probably simple
move the existing portable unit to the bedroom until I could get the
central air fixed. I mean, unless you live in Florida, or something I
would think that you could limp by on just the one portable until you
get your central air fixed.

Hey you ****ing retard.

Google posts dont show immediately.

Might be they think you coulda posted kiddy porn or something I guess, and
they dont want it in *THEIR ARCHIVES*

However, still no excuse for you to ****ing post the same gawdammned ****
onto usenet FOUR ****ING TIMES.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Mebbe you can un-confuse me by explaining the diff. between rain (a
condensate in clouds), and A/C condensate on a coil.
Afaict, condensate on a coil should be somewhat purer than rain, or a lot
more, depending on atmospheric conditions/pollution.
--
------

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Please don't confuse him with facts.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
:
: "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote in
: message ...
: and a 5 ton central A/C can crank out 100-200 gals of water
on a single
: humid day.
: Almost pure, second only to true distilled water.
:
: Really?? what about all the stuff in the air that is being
carried off by
: that condensate water?? all of the contaminates in the air that
your
: breathing?? You can drink it if you want, not me.
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in
message news
Mebbe you can un-confuse me by explaining the diff. between rain (a
condensate in clouds), and A/C condensate on a coil.
Afaict, condensate on a coil should be somewhat purer than rain, or a lot
more, depending on atmospheric conditions/pollution.

Rain isn't concentrating all of the airborne pollutants and pathogens from
your home in the resultant precipitation.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Assuming there is that much of a difference.
And on how much smog is up about the rain clouds.
And what the raindrops collect on the way down.
etc.

If it is as bad as you seem to imply, mebbe the home-moaner should be
walking around with a respirator/surgical mask.

Not saying you are wrong, or that there is no difference, just don't
intuitively see it as much of a diff.

I hark back to the various studies on bottled water, and the ripoffs
therein.
Recall Penn and Teller w/ their garden-hose water at a 5-star restaurant....

--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote
in message news
Mebbe you can un-confuse me by explaining the diff. between rain (a
condensate in clouds), and A/C condensate on a coil.
Afaict, condensate on a coil should be somewhat purer than rain, or a lot
more, depending on atmospheric conditions/pollution.

Rain isn't concentrating all of the airborne pollutants and pathogens from
your home in the resultant precipitation.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Thu, 24 May 2007 13:25:51 -0500, "B-Hate-Me" B-Hate-Me@home
wrote:

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in
message ...

I hark back to the various studies on bottled water, and the ripoffs
therein.
Recall Penn and Teller w/ their garden-hose water at a 5-star
restaurant....

That was some of the funniest **** I've ever seen on tv.

Despite watching the show, I *still* drink Poland Spring.
It's my replacement for beer.

That's very sad.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

I'm sure it's better than nothing at all, but I find it surprising and
contemptable that you are so spoiled that you can't live through one
bloody night without your A/C.

Crank the fan, kick off the covers, and GO BACK TO SLEEP fer
chrissake! Hell, you probably won't even realize that the A/C died
until the next morning.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Wed, 23 May 2007 21:20:52 -0500, "Noon-Air"
wrote:

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in
message news
Mebbe you can un-confuse me by explaining the diff. between rain (a
condensate in clouds), and A/C condensate on a coil.
Afaict, condensate on a coil should be somewhat purer than rain, or a lot
more, depending on atmospheric conditions/pollution.

Rain isn't concentrating all of the airborne pollutants and pathogens from
your home in the resultant precipitation.

Steve screw this asshole. If he wants to prove something he can
either drink the **** for a month and report back or puss out and take
a sample, send it off and post the results of the test.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

wrote:

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote
in
message news
Mebbe you can un-confuse me by explaining the diff. between rain (a
condensate in clouds), and A/C condensate on a coil.
Afaict, condensate on a coil should be somewhat purer than rain, or a
lot
more, depending on atmospheric conditions/pollution.

Rain isn't concentrating all of the airborne pollutants and pathogens from
your home in the resultant precipitation.

Steve screw this asshole. If he wants to prove something he can
either drink the **** for a month and report back or puss out and take
a sample, send it off and post the results of the test.

Yup, he wouldn't know a pathogen if he walked on one.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Thu, 24 May 2007 22:48:42 -0500, "Noon-Air"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote
in
message news Mebbe you can un-confuse me by explaining the diff. between rain (a
condensate in clouds), and A/C condensate on a coil.
Afaict, condensate on a coil should be somewhat purer than rain, or a
lot
more, depending on atmospheric conditions/pollution.

Rain isn't concentrating all of the airborne pollutants and pathogens from
your home in the resultant precipitation.

Steve screw this asshole. If he wants to prove something he can
either drink the **** for a month and report back or puss out and take
a sample, send it off and post the results of the test.

Yup, he wouldn't know a pathogen if he walked on one.

Yup, let him get some creeping crud disease and the lab sample will be
a biopsy.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Malissa Baldwin" wrote in message
ps.com...
On May 22, 7:30 am, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"Noon-Air" wrote in message

"Proctologically Violated©®"

wrote
in
[...]

It's not.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"ftwhd" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 May 2007 22:48:42 -0500, "Noon-Air"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Its not rocket science, its more complicated than that.