Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
dkhedmo dkhedmo is offline

Default Portable A/C on wheels as backup in case the central AC dies?

Jay-n-123 wrote:
What it really sounds like is that your current AC isn't working right and
the house isn't insulated/vented well enough to keep the heat from coming
in.

It's a one zone system for two floors, and so the upstairs is warmer.

If all you want is a bandaid, why not just install a window fan. Like you
said, the night air is cooler, so that should do the job.

How I would install a window fan in a casement window? The portable AC
could be installed using a piece of plexiglas, but not sure how a window fan
could be installed.

J.

We rigged these up in an apartment we lived in. Buy the window fans
first, so you know the size. Get some kind of plexiglass and cut it to
fit the whole window opening overlapping the edge of the frame, then cut
a piece out of that to fit the fan in, in a vertical position with the
cord coming from the bottom edge. We had plexiglass that was a double
layer insulation type with channels through it and it was frosted for
privacy.

We then cut some 1x3 to fit three sides of the window (the uncut
vertical side, the top, and the cut vertical from the top of the window
to the top of the fan opening) and drilled holes through the 1x and
plexiglass so that the holes would line up.

You then open the window fully and sandwich the window frame between the
plexi (outside) and the 1x (inside) and secure it at each hole with a
wingnut and bolt and some big washers on the plexi side. You do this by
reaching out through the hole you cut to fit the fan into; it can be a
little precarious, especially on the second floor. Have extra hardware
because you'll drop a few and running downstairs to get them gets old.

You then set the fan into the opening, and secure it from falling
forward into the room by putting a spring curtain rod into the window
frame in front of the top edge of the fan.

We're not very handy, but were very proud of ourselves for coming up
with and executing this plan successfully!

Karen