Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Noon-Air Noon-Air is offline

Default Portable A/C on wheels as backup in case the central AC dies?

"Jay-n-123" wrote in message
I'm considering getting an extra portable AC on wheels for the bedroom
(which is upstairs) in case my 20 year old central AC were to suddenly
die. That way, I'd be able to get some sleep at night if I weren't able
to immediately have a new central AC installed or the existing system
couldn't be immediately repaired. Is this a good idea or do you I am
crazy to want to spend a few hundred dollars on something to use as a
backup for the bedroom in case the central AC should fail?

Granted my bedroom has ceiling fan, but I'm afraid that alone won't be
enough, because it will most likely be upper 80s or hotter in the upstairs
bedroom at night should the central AC fail in summer.

When central AC is working normally, as an added benefit, I suppose the
portable may also be useful for purpose of cooling the bedroom at night by
a few degrees without my having to lower the thermostat for the entire
house.

I already have a portable AC for the home office (also upstairs), since
that room has a cooling problem. I realize the portables on wheels don't
work as well as window units due to negative pressure, but at night when
the outside temperature is cooler they generally work well. Window units
can't be installed here though.

Pardon the obvious, but the system IS 20 years old, instead of waiting for
it to fail, get it replaced now and be done with it. That way, you might be
out of A/C for maybe a day, instead of weeks. Do you wait for the engine in
your car to blow up before trading it in on a new one??