Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Default Portable A/C on wheels as backup in case the central AC dies?

Excellent idea. Have at it!

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Jay-n-123" wrote in message
: I'm considering getting an extra portable AC on wheels for the
bedroom
: (which is upstairs) in case my 20 year old central AC were to
suddenly die.
: That way, I'd be able to get some sleep at night if I weren't
able to
: immediately have a new central AC installed or the existing
system couldn't
: be immediately repaired. Is this a good idea or do you I am
crazy to want
: to spend a few hundred dollars on something to use as a backup
for the
: bedroom in case the central AC should fail?
:
: Granted my bedroom has ceiling fan, but I'm afraid that alone
won't be
: enough, because it will most likely be upper 80s or hotter in
the upstairs
: bedroom at night should the central AC fail in summer.
:
: When central AC is working normally, as an added benefit, I
suppose the
: portable may also be useful for purpose of cooling the bedroom
at night by a
: few degrees without my having to lower the thermostat for the
entire house.
:
: I already have a portable AC for the home office (also
upstairs), since that
: room has a cooling problem. I realize the portables on wheels
don't work as
: well as window units due to negative pressure, but at night
when the outside
: temperature is cooler they generally work well. Window units
can't be
: installed here though.
:
: J.