Posted to alt.home.repair

Default When mixing on site, how much concrete could one guy pour and finish in one day?

With a small electric concrete mixer (2 bags of 60# or 80# ready mix at a
time) I'm not able to mix much more than an area of 6' x 12' by 4" thick,
anymore I'm not able to finish before it sets in. That was about 44 bags of
60# of ready mix.

Would having two small mixers on at the same time increase productivity? I
don't think I could, or want to, do more than 100 60# bags day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 10:21?am, "** Frank **" wrote:
With a small electric concrete mixer (2 bags of 60# or 80# ready mix at a
time) I'm not able to mix much more than an area of 6' x 12' by 4" thick,
anymore I'm not able to finish before it sets in. That was about 44 bags of
60# of ready mix.

Would having two small mixers on at the same time increase productivity? I
don't think I could, or want to, do more than 100 60# bags day.

your losing fiancially, for larger quanties your better off getting it
ppre mixed by a truck.

last time I did a slab, 70 bucks a yard, by truck

by bag 4 tmes that.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 7, 10:21?am, "** Frank **" wrote:
With a small electric concrete mixer (2 bags of 60# or 80# ready mix at a
time) I'm not able to mix much more than an area of 6' x 12' by 4" thick,
anymore I'm not able to finish before it sets in. That was about 44 bags
of
60# of ready mix.

Would having two small mixers on at the same time increase productivity?
don't think I could, or want to, do more than 100 60# bags day.

your losing fiancially, for larger quanties your better off getting it
ppre mixed by a truck.

last time I did a slab, 70 bucks a yard, by truck

by bag 4 tmes that.....

Ok, than how would one guy finish say a 5 yard minimum delivered without the
concrete setting in? Or I could get it one yard at a time (same price as
premixed bags) but I have to return the trailer within 3 hours which takes
away time for finishing. The problem is, its just one of me. If I have 7
guys, there wouldn't be any problem getting a 12 yard truck load at a time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 9:29 am, " wrote:
On May 7, 10:21?am, "** Frank **" wrote:

With a small electric concrete mixer (2 bags of 60# or 80# ready mix at a
time) I'm not able to mix much more than an area of 6' x 12' by 4" thick,
anymore I'm not able to finish before it sets in. That was about 44 bags of
60# of ready mix.

Would having two small mixers on at the same time increase productivity? I
don't think I could, or want to, do more than 100 60# bags day.

your losing fiancially, for larger quanties your better off getting it
ppre mixed by a truck.

last time I did a slab, 70 bucks a yard, by truck

by bag 4 tmes that.....

The guy says he's working alone you have to take his word for it. I
live in a remote part of the country where it can be difficult or
impossible to find helpers. Whether paid or not, no one wants to
drive all that way to help out or to make a few bucks. Of course you
can get someone if you are loaded and can afford to pay well. Most
are not.

When you hire a stranger then they immediatly know a whole lot about
you, which is worth avoiding. Even if the contractor is well known
his workers may not be. Robberies and home invasions are becoming
more common and the bad guys always come armed. Do the job by
yourself unless you want to invite the bad guys over to "help" you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 7, 10:27 am, Lawrence wrote:
On May 7, 9:29 am, " wrote:

On May 7, 10:21?am, "** Frank **" wrote:

With a small electric concrete mixer (2 bags of 60# or 80# ready mix at a
time) I'm not able to mix much more than an area of 6' x 12' by 4" thick,
anymore I'm not able to finish before it sets in. That was about 44 bags of
60# of ready mix.

Would having two small mixers on at the same time increase productivity? I
don't think I could, or want to, do more than 100 60# bags day.

your losing fiancially, for larger quanties your better off getting it
ppre mixed by a truck.

last time I did a slab, 70 bucks a yard, by truck

by bag 4 tmes that.....

The guy says he's working alone you have to take his word for it. I
live in a remote part of the country where it can be difficult or
impossible to find helpers. ...

You have no friends that will come for a weekend work/party?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 9:29 am, " wrote:

On May 7, 10:21?am, "** * *Frank * ***" wrote:

With a small electric concrete mixer (2 bags of 60# or 80# ready mix at a
time) I'm not able to mix much more than an area of 6' x 12' by 4" thick,
anymore I'm not able to finish before it sets in. That was about 44 bags of
60# of ready mix.

Would having two small mixers on at the same time increase productivity? I
don't think I could, or want to, do more than 100 60# bags day.

your losing fiancially, for larger quanties your better off getting it
ppre mixed by a truck.

last time I did a slab, 70 bucks a yard, by truck

by bag 4 tmes that.....

The guy says he's working alone you have to take his word for it. *I
live in a remote part of the country where it can be difficult or
impossible to find helpers. ...

You have no friends that will come for a weekend work/party?- Hide quoted text -

try to find some friends, or paid help.

check cost of 5 yards delivered

check cost of 5 yards by bag

then check cost of friends realtives or paid help.

I was just pointing out by the bag is the pricest way to go, and not
good if your placing a large slab......

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 7, 9:29 am, " wrote:

On May 7, 10:21?am, "** ? ?Frank ? ?**" wrote:

[...]

If you'll note, I agreed w/ you and suggested to OP he get some
help...Lawrence was the one who ragged about being a loner, not me,
and my response was to him, not you...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 9:29 am, " wrote:

On May 7, 10:21?am, "** Frank **" wrote:

With a small electric concrete mixer (2 bags of 60# or 80# ready mix at a
time) I'm not able to mix much more than an area of 6' x 12' by 4" thick,
anymore I'm not able to finish before it sets in. That was about 44 bags of
60# of ready mix.

Would having two small mixers on at the same time increase productivity? I
don't think I could, or want to, do more than 100 60# bags day.

your losing fiancially, for larger quanties your better off getting it
ppre mixed by a truck.

last time I did a slab, 70 bucks a yard, by truck

by bag 4 tmes that.....

The guy says he's working alone you have to take his word for it. I
live in a remote part of the country where it can be difficult or
impossible to find helpers. ...

You have no friends that will come for a weekend work/party?- Hide quoted text -

Here is the mixer I am looking at for pouring piers and fence posts on
my place. I know I can have it delivered but I probably won't. On
the back of my place no Truck can get. I will be able to pour corner
posts and bracing posts for the fence I want to build back there. I
bet the OP would love to have this thing.

http://www.bobcat.com/attachments/concrete_mixer

To answer you, I can get some people over here if necessary. People
are so stressed and strapped anymore that I would be embarrased to ask
for help unless absolutely necessary. People have families,
mortgages, and their own important projects. A big pour comes close
to being an emergency but not quite.

If I had a big pour I would do what you said and impose upon those who
owe me favors and even those who don't. I could go to the local bar
and hire men right now. Sure it's better to have a crew and have the
mud delivered. The OP said he was working alone, that's all.

I also plan my jobs to be completed alone and on this basis feel I am
in a position to respect the OP and his need or desire to work alone.
He has his reasons some of which may have been mentioned and some
maybe not. Some sites could be inacessable enough to prohibit bringin
in the Truck. It don't matter the reason for if you want to work
alone then it can usually be done. It's nice to have help, no one can
disagree.

The one job that almost has to be hired is well drilling. It is quite
a specialty and I have never heard of an average property owner
renting or buying a drilling rig, hehe. I hired one. Of course
people had to dig their own well back in the day. The don't anymore
at least not that I hear of. What other jobs are so specialized that
almost no one, no matter how handy, would attempt?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 9:29 am, " wrote:

On May 7, 10:21?am, "** Frank **" wrote:

[...]

Repairing a slate roof is one I'd feel uncomfortable doing. Of course
my grandfather actually did it back in the 40's because like you say
money was tight. I also tend to shy away from gas-fired appliances that
require flues, just because I don't have the experience to set them up
right.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 9:29 am, " wrote:

On May 7, 10:21?am, "** * *Frank * ***" wrote:

[...]

almost no one, no matter how handy, would attempt?- Hide quoted text -

well the concrete job may cost him 4 or 5 times the cost of concrete
to do it alone, besides being very hard work.

on water well drilling google hydra dry or deep rock. the DIY of well
drillers for the cost of a well you can buy a machine, I have one here
and will drill shortly. I have city water but will use it for
weatering lawn, washing cars, toilets and such.

Posted to alt.home.repair

�People
are so stressed and strapped anymore that I would be embarrased to ask
for help unless absolutely necessary. *People have families,
mortgages, and their own important projects. *A big pour comes close
to being an emergency but not quite.

those fiancially strapped people are just the ones to have help for
some fast cash........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 9:29 am, " wrote:

On May 7, 10:21?am, "** Frank **" wrote:

[...]

replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

That's another good example Nate. I wonder how much one of those
slate shingles would weigh? I know I used to put a bundle of ashpalt
shingles on my shoulder and carry it up to a two-story roof. I can't
do it anymore though. I would hire a lift to put the shingles up
there these days. Anyone who delivers shingles will also be able to
put them on the roof if desired. Slate has got to be heavy though.
It might take two people to lift a slate shingle. I don't know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ups.com...
On May 7, 9:29 am, " wrote:

On May 7, 10:21?am, "** Frank **" wrote:

[...]

Couldn't get any help from in-laws, too rich and busy to be of use. They
themselves hire contractors to do their own projects so why should they
physically help me? Sadly that's their perspective. If I have a party they
would come, but if I need help, forget it. Most of my friends are out of
town or in another state and some in bad health. Anyway, there are some
Mexicans in the Home Depot parking lot a few towns over, so that might be a
possibility but my truck only holds a couple of helpers and they don't have
transportation. I have to drive them back, there will be a language barrier
and insurance issue so its not worth the hassle. I once hired some people
off the street on an hourly bases but it turn out cheaper if I had used a
licensed contractor in the first place. That was for interior painting and
screw ups I could fix but concrete screw ups are pretty much permanent
without a jackhammer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The one job that almost has to be hired is well drilling. It is quite
a specialty and I have never heard of an average property owner
renting or buying a drilling rig, hehe. I hired one. Of course
people had to dig their own well back in the day. The don't anymore
at least not that I hear of. What other jobs are so specialized that
almost no one, no matter how handy, would attempt?

If you're driving your well through rock, you pretty much have to hire
it done. If you're on dirt or sand, driving a well point for a
relatively shallow well (say, 20' or less) isn't that big a deal.
You can get a sand point from www.lehmans.com.

You COULD drive a deep well by yourself, but the chances are
there are better uses for your time, and it probably won't
save you much money by the time you're done building or renting
the equipment.

There's also a technique using concentric pipes where you
use a trash pump to pump water down one pipe and up the other,
and sort of wash your way to the aquifer, but I've never
seen that done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's another good example Nate. I wonder how much one of those
slate shingles would weigh? I know I used to put a bundle of ashpalt
shingles on my shoulder and carry it up to a two-story roof. I can't
do it anymore though. I would hire a lift to put the shingles up
there these days. Anyone who delivers shingles will also be able to
put them on the roof if desired. Slate has got to be heavy though.
It might take two people to lift a slate shingle. I don't know.

Slate roofs can weight anywhere from 750 pounds per square to 2250
pounds per square, depending on the thickness of the slate.
The individual slates aren't heavy, though, they're about 1/3rd
to 1/2 the size of a regular 3-tab.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.deeprock.com/diy.htm

its a rotary portable machine that works well for DIY well drilling.

I have one here getting ready to drill cobbled together over the last
few years......... cheap

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 11:00�am, Goedjn wrote:
That's another good example Nate. *I wonder how much one of those
slate shingles would weigh? *I know I used to put a bundle of ashpalt
shingles on my shoulder and carry it up to a two-story roof. *I can't
do it anymore though. *I would hire a lift to put the shingles up
there these days. *Anyone who delivers shingles will also be able to
put them on the roof if desired. *Slate has got to be heavy though.
It might take two people to lift a slate shingle. *I don't know.

Slate roofs can weight anywhere from 750 pounds per square to 2250
pounds per square, depending on the thickness of the slate.
The individual slates aren't heavy, though, they're about 1/3rd
to 1/2 the size of a regular 3-tab.

the big danger if repairing a slate roof, they last so long the nails
often rust away or the slate fails and slides down the roof.

dont walk directly on slate roofs use ladders and wood to spread the
weight...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 9:41 am, Goedjn wrote:
[...]

That's a good post Goedjn. My well is 150 feet so you can see why I
was a bit imtimidated. It is perfectly reliable so it seems I'm where
I need to be. Cost me about $5000 and looks like drillers make a great
profit if their busy.

I bet there are times when a shallow well would hold water on my place
though. I would be willing to look into it. My soil has rock but it
is mostly on the surface. I have clay too so that would slow me
down.

The State of Minnesota wants to know when you drill a well and they
try to keep track of where they all are. When a property is abandoned
they want to close them up for godd reasons.

I am lucky on my place, it seems I can drill a well anywhere and as
many as I want on my 20 acres. Water is the number one necessity which
makes your property usable. We have a tremendous water resource in
our state, the best.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 10:23 am, " wrote:
http://www.deeprock.com/diy.htm

its a rotary portable machine that works well for DIY well drilling.

I have one here getting ready to drill cobbled together over the last
few years......... cheap

Great post. I did not know about that. I think it would be very cool
to drill your own well especially since that maching goes place the
big rigs can't. One thing I notice is that a supply of water is
require to do the drilliing to wash out the soil. I seem to remember
the big rig had a water tank on board. I imagine some barrels and a
pump would do the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 10:33�pm, Lawrence wrote:
On May 8, 10:23 am, " wrote:

http://www.deeprock.com/diy.htm

its a rotary portable machine that works well for DIY well drilling.

I have one here getting ready to drill cobbled together over the last
few years......... cheap

Great post. I did not know about that. I think it would be very cool
to drill your own well especially since that maching goes place the
big rigs can't. *One thing I notice is that a supply of water is
require to do the drilliing to wash out the soil. *I seem to remember
the big rig had a water tank on board. *I imagine some barrels and a
pump would do the job.

yeah some tanks and a pump, a buddy did this and recycled the water,
let the solids settle and pump the water back down the hole.

some buy a machine cause they are so affordable, drill a well or two,
then sell the machine on e bay or whatever,.