Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default When mixing on site, how much concrete could one guy pour andfinish in one day?

Lawrence wrote:
On May 7, 11:32 am, dpb wrote:

On May 7, 10:27 am, Lawrence wrote:

On May 7, 9:29 am, " wrote:

On May 7, 10:21?am, "** Frank **" wrote:

With a small electric concrete mixer (2 bags of 60# or 80# ready mix at a
time) I'm not able to mix much more than an area of 6' x 12' by 4" thick,
anymore I'm not able to finish before it sets in. That was about 44 bags of
60# of ready mix.

Would having two small mixers on at the same time increase productivity? I
don't think I could, or want to, do more than 100 60# bags day.

your losing fiancially, for larger quanties your better off getting it
ppre mixed by a truck.

last time I did a slab, 70 bucks a yard, by truck

by bag 4 tmes that.....

The guy says he's working alone you have to take his word for it. I
live in a remote part of the country where it can be difficult or
impossible to find helpers. ...

You have no friends that will come for a weekend work/party?- Hide quoted text -

Here is the mixer I am looking at for pouring piers and fence posts on
my place. I know I can have it delivered but I probably won't. On
the back of my place no Truck can get. I will be able to pour corner
posts and bracing posts for the fence I want to build back there. I
bet the OP would love to have this thing.

http://www.bobcat.com/attachments/concrete_mixer

To answer you, I can get some people over here if necessary. People
are so stressed and strapped anymore that I would be embarrased to ask
for help unless absolutely necessary. People have families,
mortgages, and their own important projects. A big pour comes close
to being an emergency but not quite.

If I had a big pour I would do what you said and impose upon those who
owe me favors and even those who don't. I could go to the local bar
and hire men right now. Sure it's better to have a crew and have the
mud delivered. The OP said he was working alone, that's all.

I also plan my jobs to be completed alone and on this basis feel I am
in a position to respect the OP and his need or desire to work alone.
He has his reasons some of which may have been mentioned and some
maybe not. Some sites could be inacessable enough to prohibit bringin
in the Truck. It don't matter the reason for if you want to work
alone then it can usually be done. It's nice to have help, no one can
disagree.

The one job that almost has to be hired is well drilling. It is quite
a specialty and I have never heard of an average property owner
renting or buying a drilling rig, hehe. I hired one. Of course
people had to dig their own well back in the day. The don't anymore
at least not that I hear of. What other jobs are so specialized that
almost no one, no matter how handy, would attempt?

Repairing a slate roof is one I'd feel uncomfortable doing. Of course
my grandfather actually did it back in the 40's because like you say
money was tight. I also tend to shy away from gas-fired appliances that
require flues, just because I don't have the experience to set them up
right.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.