Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default When mixing on site, how much concrete could one guy pour and finish in one day?

The one job that almost has to be hired is well drilling. It is quite
a specialty and I have never heard of an average property owner
renting or buying a drilling rig, hehe. I hired one. Of course
people had to dig their own well back in the day. The don't anymore
at least not that I hear of. What other jobs are so specialized that
almost no one, no matter how handy, would attempt?

If you're driving your well through rock, you pretty much have to hire
it done. If you're on dirt or sand, driving a well point for a
relatively shallow well (say, 20' or less) isn't that big a deal.
You can get a sand point from www.lehmans.com.

You COULD drive a deep well by yourself, but the chances are
there are better uses for your time, and it probably won't
save you much money by the time you're done building or renting
the equipment.

There's also a technique using concentric pipes where you
use a trash pump to pump water down one pipe and up the other,
and sort of wash your way to the aquifer, but I've never
seen that done.