Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Metal Buildings, what's your experience?

I want to get a metal building. I called contractors. For a 1500 sf
building, they want $55,000 to $65,000 for a total job.

I have found building packages that size for around $15,000, and that was
from name brand major suppliers.

I see ads all the time in the paper for metal buildings that someone
cancelled, and they are going to sell this package "really cheap." I tend
to not believe these, or figure they are selling these 300 x 600 buildings
in the paper trying to get in the people who want smaller buildings, and
they switch them to another package. (I have also seen car dealerships that
say their buyer has bought thousands too many of certain cars, and I don't
believe that either.)

Has anyone built or had built an approximately 1500 sf metal building, and
what were the costs? Headaches? Warnings?

My slab will take about 30 yards of concrete, plus some wire and rebar. I
think that would be $7,000 tops with concrete and labor. Flat work is flat
work, and extra on top of that. Any awnings or lean to roofs would be
additional, too.

Bottom line, I think I can do it for half or less than what they want. I
can weld, and have steel erection experience. What do you think?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

[...]

Why would you even consider contracting anything beyond the foundation?
It's an excuse to rent a telehandler and have a BBQ with your buddies at
the very least. With the foundation properly completed, a telehandler
and several competent friends I can't see basic structural assembly
taking more than a day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
Steve B wrote:

[...]

I have some medical "issues" which are beginning to limit me. A couple of
my ships have arrived in port, and things are good financially. STILL, it
was all I could do not to laugh in the guy's face that told me $65,000 for
the building. I was a steel erection contractor, did some fast math in my
head, and said, "That leaves you with more than $30,000 clear profit." He
didn't like that, and started explaining about all the "engineering costs,
permits, blah, blah, blah." He didn't even have the balls to say, "I'm in
business to make money", which is what I would have said.

But still, I'll get out there, find a band of buddies, fire up the barbecue,
provide lots of food and drinks, and Git-r-done. The extra thirty thousand
will more than pay for a car lift, a complete Plasmacam system, flatwork all
around, some leanto awnings for shade, and LOTS of trick tools and gadgets
for the inside of the shop. Probably a few grand left over to go relax at
Mazatlan for a few weeks, too.

Do these people think you can't even operate a calculator?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
Steve B wrote:

[...]

Your excuse to remain comfortably in the operators seat of the rented
telehandler

A couple of
my ships have arrived in port, and things are good financially.

Lucky you, I think my ships capsized in a storm and dumped my containers
of loot in the middle of the ocean.

STILL, it
was all I could do not to laugh in the guy's face that told me $65,000 for
the building. I was a steel erection contractor, did some fast math in my
head, and said, "That leaves you with more than $30,000 clear profit." He
didn't like that, and started explaining about all the "engineering costs,
permits, blah, blah, blah." He didn't even have the balls to say, "I'm in
business to make money", which is what I would have said.

Unless you're looking for something odd, those buildings should all be
pre engineered so it's just permits and labor. Certainly he's got to
have a profit margin, but he doesn't need to buy a new boat entirely on
your jobs profit.

But still, I'll get out there, find a band of buddies, fire up the barbecue,
provide lots of food and drinks, and Git-r-done. The extra thirty thousand
will more than pay for a car lift, a complete Plasmacam system, flatwork all
around, some leanto awnings for shade, and LOTS of trick tools and gadgets
for the inside of the shop. Probably a few grand left over to go relax at
Mazatlan for a few weeks, too.

Exactly, gotta have stuff to put in the new building, or perhaps upgrade
it's HVAC.

Do these people think you can't even operate a calculator?

I expect so, and with recent "graduates" of our "educational" system I
expect they are correct. The latest batch can't even figure out the
mileage their car is getting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote

I have some medical "issues" which are beginning to limit me.

Your excuse to remain comfortably in the operators seat of the rented
telehandler

I have run forklifts for a lot of years, and up to a 60 ton crane. Looks
like I could handle some small trusses and whatever else had to be hoisted
up with these.

Do these people think you can't even operate a calculator?

I expect so, and with recent "graduates" of our "educational" system I
expect they are correct. The latest batch can't even figure out the
mileage their car is getting.

Why do that? Nowadays, the cash register tells you how much change to give,
and if you push a button, there's a mpg indicator on most cars. You DO have
to be able to read the manual, though.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

"Pete C." wrote

I have some medical "issues" which are beginning to limit me.

Your excuse to remain comfortably in the operators seat of the rented
telehandler

I have run forklifts for a lot of years, and up to a 60 ton crane. Looks
like I could handle some small trusses and whatever else had to be hoisted
up with these.

Yep, models available with plenty of reach and lift capacity. Common
items at United Rentals, Nations Rent, etc.

Do these people think you can't even operate a calculator?

I expect so, and with recent "graduates" of our "educational" system I
expect they are correct. The latest batch can't even figure out the
mileage their car is getting.

Why do that? Nowadays, the cash register tells you how much change to give,
and if you push a button, there's a mpg indicator on most cars. You DO have
to be able to read the manual, though.

Several recent incidents I've heard of:

A "gifted" high school students with no idea how to use a ruler. Didn't
they teach that in kindergarten?

Several "gifted" high school students with no idea how to use a socket
set. I don't care if you've never used one before, common sense should
dictate that the square thingy on the long thingy might connect with the
square recess on the small round thingies.

Someone well out of high school who thought their new truck got better
mileage than their old one because they put less $ in the tank each fill
up. Completely missing the difference in tank sizes, frequency of fill
ups, etc.

This whole country is generally doomed, I just hope it doesn't get too
bad before my birth certificate expires...
Posted to alt.home.repair

But still, I'll get out there, find a band of buddies, fire up the barbecue,
provide lots of food and drinks, and Git-r-done. The extra thirty thousand
will more than pay for a car lift, a complete Plasmacam system, flatwork all
around, some leanto awnings for shade, and LOTS of trick tools and gadgets
for the inside of the shop. Probably a few grand left over to go relax at
Mazatlan for a few weeks, too.

Do these people think you can't even operate a calculator?

No thinking involved. They know, from experience, that a sufficient
fraction of the american consumers can't, won't, or doesn't care.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve,

I want to get a metal building. I called contractors. For a 1500 sf
building, they want $55,000 to $65,000 for a total job.

Ok, what's "a total job"? The building package, a concrete slab,
electricity?, water and sewer?, site prep?, final lot grading? You don't
say but you do need to know what you'll get from a "pro" job.
You claim that the building package is $15000 but I think you need to
check that. That may not be the retail price. The dealer may not sell you
consumers at all.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in
:

"Pete C." wrote

[...]

Personal true story (read it on the Internet...has to be true right?). Go
to pizza joint. Bill is 16.21 and I go to register. Open wallet and start
to pull out bills. First a 20. On the ball HS kid sees me pull it out and
punches 20.00 into register. Then I pull out a $1 and give him that and
..21 so I get a 5 back. He goes into toxic shock. Looking around at stacks
of stuff near counter in total confusion. Finally he guesses and gives me
back $4. I says I gave you the extra 1.21 so I could get a 5 back. He
takes the four $1 bills back. Gives me back a $5 & a $1. Owner is a small
business owner and good friend. I give him back the buck and tell him
only supposed to get $5 back. He goes into tilt mode and just stuffs buck
back in drawer. Probably thought I was a flim-flam artist.

But then at that, we, the Iron Butterfly In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida crowd, are
running the country today...:-(
Posted to alt.home.repair

My 30x40 was $16,500 with the slab.

SEVENTY yards??? How thick you planning on having that 1500sq, ft? 4" thick
would only require 18 yards.

www.eshqualitystructures.com is who did mine, but they are limited to about
400 miles around Garnett, Kansas.

--
Steve Barker

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:59:33 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Steve B wrote:

"Pete C." wrote

[...]

I'm told that at fast food places like McDonald's, the cash registers
now have PICTURES on them, since the kids can't read words like
hamburger, coke, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Goedjn" wrote in message

But still, I'll get out there, find a band of buddies, fire up the
barbecue,
provide lots of food and drinks, and Git-r-done. The extra thirty
thousand
will more than pay for a car lift, a complete Plasmacam system, flatwork
all
around, some leanto awnings for shade, and LOTS of trick tools and gadgets
for the inside of the shop. Probably a few grand left over to go relax at
Mazatlan for a few weeks, too.

Do these people think you can't even operate a calculator?

No thinking involved. They know, from experience, that a sufficient
fraction of the american consumers can't, won't, or doesn't care.

It's just like elk hunting. All you need to end the season is one dumb elk.
At $30k per building clear profit, I'd just be out there looking for the
dumb elk, too. I'd even be happy doing one building a month.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Martel" wrote in message
ink.net...
Steve,

I want to get a metal building. I called contractors. For a 1500 sf
building, they want $55,000 to $65,000 for a total job.

Ok, what's "a total job"? The building package, a concrete slab,
electricity?, water and sewer?, site prep?, final lot grading? You don't
say but you do need to know what you'll get from a "pro" job.
You claim that the building package is $15000 but I think you need to
check that. That may not be the retail price. The dealer may not sell you
consumers at all.

Dave M.

Dave, Dave, Dave. I have contracted three houses. I have done half a dozen
remodels. I'm good at math. I can add. I was a licensed steel erection
contractor in Nevada for nine years.

A project of this size is a small one. You break it down into categories.
You figure out how long it takes and at how much an hour. I found half a
dozen companies that would sell me buildings delivered on site with their
forklift. As one guy suggested, I could get a group of four buddies
together, or even four half assed workmen, and have it together in a week.
I WOULD have a concrete contractor do the slab. Other than that, prefab
metal buildings are just slightly harder than Lincoln Logs.

Your ideas about dealers not selling to consumers is laughable. When it
comes to customers, they're about as choosy as crack dealers.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
My 30x40 was $16,500 with the slab.

SEVENTY yards??? How thick you planning on having that 1500sq, ft? 4"
thick would only require 18 yards.

Pardon my flatulence. IIRC, it came out to 28.8888 with a 6" slab, and I
figured thirty with footers. I assigned a value of $70 per yard delivered,
as I have not purchased concrete in a long time.

I knew there was a 70 in there somewhere.

Ya caught me.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

My slab will take about 30 yards of concrete, plus some wire and rebar.
I think that would be $7,000 tops with concrete and labor.

First, he said 30 yards, not 70.

How about footings? You'd have about 160 lineal feet and a 24" footing
would take about 12 yards.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 18:22:02 -0700, aspasia wrote:

I'm told that at fast food places like McDonald's, the cash registers
now have PICTURES on them, since the kids can't read words like
hamburger, coke, etc.

I don't think that is the reason. I think that even for you and me a
keyboard like that is quicker to use.

All words look pretty much alike. Even the difference in length isn't
meaningful without actually reading the word. Pictures can be
clearly and quickly unique.

They started having keys for items instead of numbers because that way
the cashier doesn't have to keep track of price changes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 18:30:46 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

No thinking involved. They know, from experience, that a sufficient
fraction of the american consumers can't, won't, or doesn't care.

It's just like elk hunting. All you need to end the season is one dumb elk.
At $30k per building clear profit, I'd just be out there looking for the
dumb elk, too. I'd even be happy doing one building a month.

Reminds me of the shiveled 80 year old guy who would proposition every
woman he saw, on the street or anywhere. His friend asks, What do you
do that for. How many women are going to say yes? "Even if it's only
1 in a 1000, it's worth it."

Posted to alt.home.repair

. ..

"Steve B" wrote in message

My slab will take about 30 yards of concrete, plus some wire and rebar.
I think that would be $7,000 tops with concrete and labor.

First, he said 30 yards, not 70.

How about footings? You'd have about 160 lineal feet and a 24" footing
would take about 12 yards.

That's why I'd let a concrete contractor do the slab.

I won't know how accurate all the cost estimates were until I'm done. I
just know that doing some preliminary calculations, there's a lot of profit
in there that would be just as warm and fuzzy in MY pocket.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 22:11:31 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 18:22:02 -0700, aspasia wrote:

I'm told that at fast food places like McDonald's, the cash registers
now have PICTURES on them, since the kids can't read words like
hamburger, coke, etc.

I don't think that is the reason. I think that even for you and me a
keyboard like that is quicker to use.

All words look pretty much alike. Even the difference in length isn't
meaningful without actually reading the word. Pictures can be
clearly and quickly unique.

They started having keys for items instead of numbers because that way
the cashier doesn't have to keep track of price changes.

I'm betting it has more to do with non-english speaking employees.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
My slab will take about 30 yards of concrete, plus some wire and rebar.
I think that would be $7,000 tops with concrete and labor.

First, he said 30 yards, not 70.

How about footings? You'd have about 160 lineal feet and a 24" footing
would take about 12 yards.

That's why I'd let a concrete contractor do the slab.

I won't know how accurate all the cost estimates were until I'm done. I
just know that doing some preliminary calculations, there's a lot of profit
in there that would be just as warm and fuzzy in MY pocket.

Steve

~15 years ago I got a quote for a 3200 sq ft building erected on my slab
for 30k or less[one big door one small door, so it woulda been more in
the end] Wunner if there are guys who will do that sorta thing around you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote:

This whole country is generally doomed, I just hope it doesn't get too
bad before my birth certificate expires...

The older generation has been whining about the younger generation since mankind
first learned to whine. Remember our parents complaining about "hippy, druggy,
dropouts"? Somehow we muddle along.

-- Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:58:55 -0500, Douglas Johnson
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

This whole country is generally doomed, I just hope it doesn't get too
bad before my birth certificate expires...

The older generation has been whining about the younger generation since mankind
first learned to whine. Remember our parents complaining about "hippy, druggy,
dropouts"? Somehow we muddle along.

-- Doug

I wish I could agree wholeheartedly, but I think there is a difference
now in the power of the media. In previous generations, there wasn't
such a determined effort on the part of large corporate entities to
induce people to buy things they don't need, and think thoughts that
are implanted in them by the complaisant media.

Obese children...religious fanatics running the government...corporate
masters blocking environmental action...lying administration dragging
us into endless, mindless wars...-

And while all this, and more, is going on, there is such a general
apathy in the populace that the few who are trying to keep the
country true to its history have a hard time not despairing.