Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What are the ways to remove a stump?

I have 3 tree stumps. One is about a 1 foot in length and level with the ground.

The other 2 stumps fell from trees that actually lifted the surroundiing grass with it, so that the
stumps are on an angle with the grass surrounding them pulled up.

I want to remove all 3 stumps. I gather I can rent a "stump grinder from the local outlet." However,
is there some kind of "chemical treatment" that is cheap to get rid ot these. I have heard that
stump grinders are dangerous. I can get someone to do it, but as I am feeling "handy",
I would like to save some money and remove them myself.

BTW, all of the actual trees were removed by myself with much time and energy with the aid of a
chain saw and many sore muscles.

Thanks in advance,

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine
Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page:
www.seldin.net
Posted to alt.home.repair

In a similar situation I dug as much as I could around the stumps. Fastened
a chain to the stump and my Pickup truck and pulled them out with no
problem.
Depends on what kind of tree and how deep the roots are.

Good luck..

Steve

"Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC wrote:
I have 3 tree stumps. One is about a 1 foot in length and level with the ground.

The other 2 stumps fell from trees that actually lifted the surroundiing grass with it, so that the
stumps are on an angle with the grass surrounding them pulled up.

I want to remove all 3 stumps. I gather I can rent a "stump grinder from the local outlet." However,
is there some kind of "chemical treatment" that is cheap to get rid ot these. I have heard that
stump grinders are dangerous. I can get someone to do it, but as I am feeling "handy",
I would like to save some money and remove them myself.

BTW, all of the actual trees were removed by myself with much time and energy with the aid of a
chain saw and many sore muscles.

Thanks in advance,

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Drill numerous holes.

Soak in Kerosene.

Burn.

Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 19, 1:07 pm, "Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC"
wrote:
I have 3 tree stumps. One is about a 1 foot in length and level with the ground.

I presume "length" here means "diameter" as if is level w/ ground
don't know from what point one would measure a linear distance?

The other 2 stumps fell from trees that actually lifted the surroundiing grass with it, so that the
stumps are on an angle with the grass surrounding them pulled up.

I want to remove all 3 stumps. I gather I can rent a "stump grinder from the local outlet." However,
is there some kind of "chemical treatment" that is cheap to get rid ot these. ...

If cheap is what you're after, cheapest is time and the pileated
woodpeckers (see other thread of last several days)...

As someone else noted, with no indication of what variety of tree
these might be or how large 2 out of the 3 are, how much effort to
simply uproot them and haul them off is undeterminable. If the
objective were that, having left a sizable section above ground would
have been good for leverage and grip, but gathering that's not the
case, suggest simply digging around them a little and finding out how
much root structure there is first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC writes:

However, is there some kind of "chemical treatment" that is cheap
to get rid ot these.

The chemical sold as stump remover is potassium nitrate. You're supposed
to bore many deep holes, a huge chore in itself, and pack this in.
Supposedly this either (1) fertilizes fungal growth in the wood, causing
"rapid" (a few years instead of a lifetime) decay to pith, or (2)
eventually permeates the wood with oxidizer such that it will smoulder into
ash if you ignite it, like an incense punk. Neither method sounds like it
would really remove anything but parts of the stump, and likely not some
parts you really wanted gone. Nor have I tried it, or despite following
this idea for a long time, have I heard of anyone succeeding at it. I
guess if you're going to leave the stump sitting there in any case, its
worth a go.

You should be able to hire a stump-grinding service for $100 to $200. You
may find that doing it yourself with a rental unit is more than you
bargained for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Drill numerous holes.

Soak in Kerosene.

Burn.

I would not advise this. Being a Vol. Fire fighter..........a root
fire can occur..........a root could smolder for days or even weeks
and sprout a brush fire somewhere down yonder.

Other than the stump grinder; You could always take your aggressions
out on it with an axe and shovel. I wish your muscles happier days
ahead :-)

Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

1) Stump Grinder

2) Dig around and pull out with a tractor or truck

3) Dynamite! (personal favorite)

4) Home Depot does sell some sort of liquid you pour into it and it
mushes up the wood over time.

5) Cover up with dirt and nature will do its job over time.

Tom

On Apr 19, 2:07 pm, "Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC"
wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I've had good luck on several stumps by digging under them to
expose an upside down "saddle" under the structural center of
the stump. I then slip a chunk of 3/4" plywood under it and roll
my floor jack down between the ply and the stump. I then jack
it up, which pulls out, and finally breaks the smaller roots. After
it's mostly loose, I can then pull it the rest of the way out with
my come-along.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

It doesn't work even after many applications and after many months or maybe
a year or two. Ended up pulling it out myself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 13:34:39 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

[...]

Start an argument with some guys about how hard it is, and bet them
$50 that they can't get the stumps out in less than 2 days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC wrote:
I have 3 tree stumps. One is about a 1 foot in length and level with
the ground.

The other 2 stumps fell from trees that actually lifted the
surroundiing grass with it, so that the stumps are on an angle with
the grass surrounding them pulled up.

I want to remove all 3 stumps. I gather I can rent a "stump grinder
from the local outlet." However, is there some kind of "chemical
treatment" that is cheap to get rid ot these. I have heard that stump
grinders are dangerous. I can get someone to do it, but as I am
feeling "handy",
I would like to save some money and remove them myself.

BTW, all of the actual trees were removed by myself with much time
and energy with the aid of a chain saw and many sore muscles.

Thanks in advance,

Ten dollars worth of dynamite. And before you reject this out of hand, look
in the yellow pages under "Explosives." Make a couple of calls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:07:57 GMT, "Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC"
wrote:

I have 3 tree stumps. One is about a 1 foot in length and level with the ground.

The other 2 stumps fell from trees that actually lifted the surroundiing grass with it, so that the
stumps are on an angle with the grass surrounding them pulled up.

I want to remove all 3 stumps. I gather I can rent a "stump grinder from the local outlet." However,
is there some kind of "chemical treatment" that is cheap to get rid ot these. I have heard that
stump grinders are dangerous. I can get someone to do it, but as I am feeling "handy",
I would like to save some money and remove them myself.

BTW, all of the actual trees were removed by myself with much time and energy with the aid of a
chain saw and many sore muscles.

Thanks in advance,

Get some day laborers and make sure one can multi-task as an
interpreter...
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have 3 tree stumps. One is about a 1 foot in length and level with the
ground.

If you wanted to remove it by hand, you should leave the trunk as high as
possible to give you leverage.

The other 2 stumps fell from trees that actually lifted the surroundiing
grass with it, so that the
stumps are on an angle with the grass surrounding them pulled up.

That seems to be easy as you could jack it up now with hydraulic jack(s).

I want to remove all 3 stumps. I gather I can rent a "stump grinder from
the local outlet." However,
is there some kind of "chemical treatment" that is cheap to get rid ot
these. I have heard that
stump grinders are dangerous. I can get someone to do it, but as I am
feeling "handy",
I would like to save some money and remove them myself.

Chemicals never works for me, perhaps others have better luck. The problem
with grinder is there is a lot of chips thrown all around the stump area so
its ease to miss a few major roots. This happen to me when I had it done by
a professional and then I had to pull out the remaining roots by hand.

Its amazing how much pulling force requires to pull out a little tree - it
may take well over 50 tons. So dig, dig and then dig some more. I had my 2
ton hoist attached to a little 1 inch root. Broke the damn hoist, spend the
next day welding it back. I had couple of come along pullers failed with the
chain snapped back at me. Pretty exciting and lucky part of my face didn't
go with it. I must admit pulling stumps by hand offers the best workout
other than pouring concrete.

I would not go after the roots with a chain saw, as soon as you hit dirt you
need to regrind the chain.

BTW, all of the actual trees were removed by myself with much time and
energy with the aid of a
chain saw and many sore muscles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I remove stumps routinely on my place. My latest method is to dig the
thing up and remove it to the edge of the clearing later adding it to
a bonfire. I use a Bobcat skidsteer with a digging attachment.
Downside: A large crater is left where the stump was. Digging
combined with yanking is often suggested.

Grinding the stump is the standard solution. Most chemical solutions
have the reputation of being either very slow or not working at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC" wrote in message
I have 3 tree stumps. One is about a 1 foot in length and level with the
ground.

the guy who ground mine said to drill holes in the stump and pour
buttermilk in them. don't know if it works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.walterreeves.com/how_to/a...?cat=26&id=856

Posted to alt.home.repair

I burnt mine out, had two stumps, one was at least 2 foot high and that far
across, the other only slightly smaller, took two days of burning, but they
are gone and the ground is level.

[...]

Kaye

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Apr 2007 11:37:45 -0700, avid_hiker
wrote:

Drill numerous holes.

Soak in Kerosene.

Burn.

I would not advise this. Being a Vol. Fire fighter..........a root
fire can occur..........a root could smolder for days or even weeks
and sprout a brush fire somewhere down yonder.

Other than the stump grinder; You could always take your aggressions
out on it with an axe and shovel. I wish your muscles happier days
ahead :-)

Dean

Growing up; it was said to drill the holes and pour Diesel and leave
it soak or later set ablaze. Usually a large Oak stump.

As a kid with the family camping we loved to collect Loblolly pine for
camp fires. Stumps were harvested, loaded on trains and later
processed for turpentine. Not sure about today. A good hot heat on a
camp fire. The sap would snap and pop, might even get a spark on you.

A stump will burn for days in the ground as it essentially has a deep
center tap root full of sap.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

i burn then with firewood , get good coals going then put the large wood
on the stump to smolder. if you want to try charcoal ,i bet it would
work too. it took me 2-3 days to burn 4 foot stump below ground . i take
a shovel and break out the burnt coals on the stump often during the
processs. of course a stump grinder is fastest way. lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

"Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC" wrote in message
I have 3 tree stumps. One is about a 1 foot in length and level with the
ground.

The other 2 stumps fell from trees that actually lifted the surroundiing
grass with it, so that the
stumps are on an angle with the grass surrounding them pulled up.

Hire a backhoe to dig them out and either put them on a truck, or bury them
in place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message

[...]

I second the come-a-long method. I have an old automotive chain hoist I use
as a come-a-long. It will move a house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have 3 tree stumps. One is about a 1 foot in length and level with the ground.

The other 2 stumps fell from trees that actually lifted the surroundiing grass with it, so that the
stumps are on an angle with the grass surrounding them pulled up.

I want to remove all 3 stumps. I gather I can rent a "stump grinder from the local outlet." However,
is there some kind of "chemical treatment" that is cheap to get rid ot these. I have heard that
stump grinders are dangerous. I can get someone to do it, but as I am feeling "handy",
I would like to save some money and remove them myself.

BTW, all of the actual trees were removed by myself with much time and energy with the aid of a
chain saw and many sore muscles.

Thanks in advance,

Increase the speed of rotting by drilling several holes in the stump
and keep the holes filled with potassium nitrate. You can use 34-0-0
granular fertilizer, less expensive. A 1" spade bit and corded drill
works well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cedar, white oak, teak, cypress are very rot resistant. For these you
will need a stump puller, chain, physical labor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 6:40�am, Phisherman wrote:
Cedar, white oak, teak, cypress are very rot resistant. *For these you
will need a stump puller, chain, physical labor.

cut off just below ground level, and cover with dirt. problem solved

at some point rot will cause the area to sink, so add some dirt.

people make some things so complicated

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

Ten dollars worth of dynamite. And before you reject this out of hand, look
in the yellow pages under "Explosives." Make a couple of calls.

Well, I don't know how the authorities would look on
that, particularly if you live in town. But in my
family it is the traditional way. My grandfather bought
a farm in about 1898 and spent 10 or 15 years clearing
the bottom land. He used so much dynamite that there
was still a large stack of dynamite boxes in the barn
when the farm was sold in the 60s. In fact I have one
in the living room I use for maps.

Bill Gill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 16:00:13 -0400, "Apu Inmypants"
wrote:

"Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC" wrote in message
.. .
I have 3 tree stumps. One is about a 1 foot in length and level with the
ground.

the guy who ground mine said to drill holes in the stump and pour
buttermilk in them. don't know if it works.

If nothing else, the drilled holes will accellerate the rotting
process. If you find a use for the stump where it is,
it't guaranteed to rot away within two years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Burn and rob. We don't know if he's in Los Angeles ghetto.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"trainfan1" wrote in message
:
: Drill numerous holes.
:
: Soak in Kerosene.
:
: Burn.
:
: Rob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dirt and stones dull a chainsaw almost instantly. I know. Sawzall
is much better, but buy a lot of blades. The one stump I took
out, burning wasn't an option. Cause I'm too close to the
neighbors. I dug, sawzalled, and finally used a come along tool
to the bumper of my van. Even so, it was a LOT of work.

I've heard that drilling it full of holes, and then pack the
holes with powdered milk helps. Does it? Never tried.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"** Frank **" wrote in message
. ..
:
: I would not go after the roots with a chain saw, as soon as you
hit dirt you
: need to regrind the chain.
:
:
:
: BTW, all of the actual trees were removed by myself with much
time and
: energy with the aid of a
: chain saw and many sore muscles.
:
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 20:28:45 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Burn and rob. We don't know if he's in Los Angeles ghetto.

Or Watts; specifically!
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Since I haven't seen it mentioned yet. Dig around the stump and then cut it
out. The laziest way I've seen is to find a good spot to dig between roots
and then take your garden hose and wash the dirt around the stump into the
hole you just dug. Repeat until stump is clean of dirt and then use the
sawsall or chain saw.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:24:05 -0400, trainfan1
wrote:

[...]

Drill holes and DON'T burn..
It will rot...

If you try to burn and it doesn't all burn up.. you have just
preserved it. My dad tried to burn stumps in our yard as a kid..
Didn't work..
I've had some pine trees removed from my yard. I put lawn fertilizer
on them and kept damp first few months..Caused mold, fungi to grow.
Now in the rotted areas I put bird feed mixture and let the birds and
squirrels dig into them..
Two and a half years and I could dig them out with a pocket knife now
if I so desired.. But I prefer to use them as bird feeders..
Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

** Frank ** wrote:

Nor have I tried it, or despite following
this idea for a long time, have I heard of anyone succeeding at it. I
guess if you're going to leave the stump sitting there in any case, its
worth a go.

It doesn't work even after many applications and after many months or maybe
a year or two. Ended up pulling it out myself.

Ditto! I drilled holes, used the stump remover crap as directed for 2
years and it didn't phase it. Then tried the kerosene & match route -
still didn't do much. Ended up digging the thing out. Hiring someone
to grind the stumps is well worth the price.

KC

Posted to alt.home.repair

Since I haven't seen it mentioned yet. Dig around the stump and then cut it
out. The laziest way I've seen is to find a good spot to dig between roots
and then take your garden hose and wash the dirt around the stump into the
hole you just dug. Repeat until stump is clean of dirt and then use the
sawsall or chain saw.

"HotRdd" wrote:

2 of the stumps are maybe 2 feet apart. They were part of the same tree that grewup together.
I started to clean away around the area between them, and also underneath. Thinking
about it, the water idea, may work. After removing much of the grass (now all I have left
is actual wood, I think I will wash the stump with water and try one more time,
to get it from the roots. My logic is that the back of the stumps are not almost all exposed
because the 2 trees actually uplifted the surrounding area.

Maybe I can actually get the remaining roots that still touch the ground that are directly below the
stump with the water. If so, I can bypass much more chainsawing the stump and do more of the roots.

I am tired of this project and very close to hiring a stump grinder guy. The reason is that I found
out that the local rental shop charges $70 with tax for a grinder for 3 hours. A stump grinder guy,
may actually be the same price as renting the machine myself.

You guys great great suggestions.

My favorite was having a truck pull it for me. Too bad, my brother does not want to use his truck.
He thinks he'll break it. So the easy way out and "free" did not work for me.

Stump killer Jim Home Repair 4 November 1st 05 08:26 AM
Stump Removal Bob Simon Home Repair 2 April 11th 05 12:09 AM
Square ways vs. Dovetailed ways? DeepDiver Metalworking 2 April 5th 05 12:16 AM
Best Way To Remove A Stump???? Thanks and pics link! Mark and Kim Smith Home Repair 7 November 16th 04 04:15 PM
Tree Stump m Ransley Home Repair 23 August 26th 04 02:46 PM