Posted to alt.home.repair
Srgnt Billko Srgnt Billko is offline

Default What are the ways to remove a stump?

"Bob F" wrote in message

"Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC" wrote in message
I have 3 tree stumps. One is about a 1 foot in length and level with the
ground.

The other 2 stumps fell from trees that actually lifted the surroundiing
grass with it, so that the
stumps are on an angle with the grass surrounding them pulled up.

I want to remove all 3 stumps. I gather I can rent a "stump grinder from
the local outlet." However,
is there some kind of "chemical treatment" that is cheap to get rid ot
these. I have heard that
stump grinders are dangerous. I can get someone to do it, but as I am
feeling "handy",
I would like to save some money and remove them myself.

BTW, all of the actual trees were removed by myself with much time and
energy with the aid of a
chain saw and many sore muscles.

Thanks in advance,

I've had good luck on several stumps by digging under them to
expose an upside down "saddle" under the structural center of
the stump. I then slip a chunk of 3/4" plywood under it and roll
my floor jack down between the ply and the stump. I then jack
it up, which pulls out, and finally breaks the smaller roots. After
it's mostly loose, I can then pull it the rest of the way out with
my come-along.

Bob

I second the come-a-long method. I have an old automotive chain hoist I use
as a come-a-long. It will move a house.