m Ransley

Default Tree Stump

I had a tree cut down and have a 5 ft stump 1.5ft high , can it be
burnt out easily by adding wood on top or will it take a week or month
to burn. Is it a waste of time trying.

Les Nessman

"m Ransley" wrote in message
I had a tree cut down and have a 5 ft stump 1.5ft high , can it be
burnt out easily by adding wood on top or will it take a week or month
to burn. Is it a waste of time trying.

Neighbour of mine had one and used it as a flower bed for years eventually
rotting
it out and then took a chain saw to the remains one day. This took years
but was
fairly effortless and served a purpose.

I've heard of chemical products you can purchase at either Home Hardwares or
Depots that you just pour over the top and it desolves the stump....how
effective they
are I don't know but that's where I'd start.

Home Depot also rents out tools and there is such a thing as a stump
grinder...another
neighbour of mine had that done and we were going to use it in our back yard
but
we ended up buying the house across the street & moving....yes, the one
that used to have the
stump/flowerbed. )

MrAoD

Les Nessman" writes:

"m Ransley" wrote in message
I had a tree cut down and have a 5 ft stump 1.5ft high , can it be
burnt out easily by adding wood on top or will it take a week or month
to burn. Is it a waste of time trying.

Waste of time unless you live in the country and won't run afoul of air
pollution/open fire laws.

If you do decide to burn it out drill a mess of holes in the stump. Add a
quart of diesel every two-three days, soaking through. No more than a gallon
or so, and let it soak in real good.

Build a fire atop the stump when you've got the time to sit and watch it for
2-3 days. Make sure you got plenty of water and toilet paper handy, you don't
want to take your eyes off it.

Neighbour of mine had one and used it as a flower bed for years eventually
rotting
it out and then took a chain saw to the remains one day. This took years
but was
fairly effortless and served a purpose.

Alternative is to cover with high-nitrogen stuff like grass clippings and keep
wet. It'll still take 1-3 years but eventually it'll rot out.

I've heard of chemical products you can purchase at either Home Hardwares or
Depots that you just pour over the top and it desolves the stump....how
effective they
are I don't know but that's where I'd start.

Skip the "stump dissolver" chemicals. If you're going to go that route just
get a high-nitrogen fertilizer, same diff.

Marc

Home Depot also rents out tools and there is such a thing as a stump
grinder...another
neighbour of mine had that done and we were going to use it in our back yard
but
we ended up buying the house across the street & moving....yes, the one
that used to have the
stump/flowerbed. )

Perry Templeton

If you used a tree service to cut it down, why didn't you get them to
grind the stump?

In my area, the tree cutters and stump grinders are separate businesses.
Perry

dadiOH

m Ransley wrote:
I had a tree cut down and have a 5 ft stump 1.5ft high , can it be
burnt out easily by adding wood on top or will it take a week or
month to burn. Is it a waste of time trying.

Depends on the kind. If resinous (pine, etc) it will burn easily. Roots
too, most likely. I burned one out and the roots burned underground for a
week.

If not resinous, the motor oil suggestion works well.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

RVerDon

I just got rid of two stumps. Rented a stump grinder and did it myself.
Took about an hour for each one. Most of the other methods, burning,
chemicals, etc., will take years.

Don

The only reasonable way to get rid of a stump is to hire someone with
a stump grinder. This business is very competitive and costs almost
nothing, especially if you make several calls to check on pricing.
Plus, it can be done in a couple of minutes instead of waiting years
with other methods.

Or, you can rent a small stump grinder if you want to d-i-y.
Bruce
A&B Construction
Houston, TX
www.roof.cc

m Ransley wrote:

I had a tree cut down and have a 5 ft stump 1.5ft high , can it be
burnt out easily by adding wood on top or will it take a week or month
to burn. Is it a waste of time trying.

put some termites on the stump.. thats the way nature gets rid of trees
that fall in the woods.... it works...
Jay

Mmmmmmm....Mushrooms.... :+)

Peter H wrote:

The problem w/ grinding is that it sends splinters of wood all over the
place. Those wood particles will generate mushrooms someday.

Peter H

Lar

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:36:16 GMT, "
wrote:

I had a tree cut down and have a 5 ft stump 1.5ft high , can it be
burnt out easily by adding wood on top or will it take a week or month
to burn. Is it a waste of time trying.

put some termites on the stump.. thats the way nature gets rid of trees
that fall in the woods.... it works...

A large colony of subterranean termites of 500,000 insects consumes
the equivalence of a 2 foot 2x4 a year...since only a fraction of the
colony would be working on the stump, they wouldn't be much of a quick
help.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

dadiOH

Lar wrote:
On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:36:16 GMT, "
wrote:

I had a tree cut down and have a 5 ft stump 1.5ft high ,
can it be burnt out easily by adding wood on top or will it
take a week or month to burn. Is it a waste of time trying.

put some termites on the stump.. thats the way nature gets rid
of trees that fall in the woods.... it works...

A large colony of subterranean termites of 500,000 insects consumes
the equivalence of a 2 foot 2x4 a year...since only a fraction of
the colony would be working on the stump, they wouldn't be much of
a quick help.

But if we all chipped in...if we ALL sent the guy a colony...

Heck, some of us could probably even send MORE than one

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

MC

You can have all the D__N termintes around you can get your hands on !!!!!

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Lar wrote:
On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:36:16 GMT, "
wrote:

I had a tree cut down and have a 5 ft stump 1.5ft high ,
can it be burnt out easily by adding wood on top or will it
take a week or month to burn. Is it a waste of time trying.

put some termites on the stump.. thats the way nature gets rid
of trees that fall in the woods.... it works...

A large colony of subterranean termites of 500,000 insects consumes
the equivalence of a 2 foot 2x4 a year...since only a fraction of
the colony would be working on the stump, they wouldn't be much of
a quick help.

But if we all chipped in...if we ALL sent the guy a colony...

Heck, some of us could probably even send MORE than one

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Pat

Buck Turgidson

I tried the burning method. It's not feasible, and I was worried about
complaints from neighbors or a visit from the fire marshall.

Phisherman

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:40:29 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"
wrote:

I tried the burning method. It's not feasible, and I was worried about
complaints from neighbors or a visit from the fire marshall.

Drill several deep 1" holes in the stump and keep the holes filled
with 34-0-0 fertilizer. After two years the stump should easily break
up into pieces with an axe. You can use the "Stump Remover" sold in
stores which is just expensive potassium nitrate.
Zemedelec

A large colony of subterranean termites of 500,000 insects consumes
the equivalence of a 2 foot 2x4 a year...since only a fraction of
the colony would be working on the stump, they wouldn't be much of
a quick help.

But if we all chipped in...if we ALL sent the guy a colony...

Heck, some of us could probably even send MORE than one

Oooooowooooo--NO! There are several commercoa; chemical substances that,
trickled into drilled holes, will dissolve the stump. Don't import
termites---they are the insatiable in search of the irreplaceable,
zemedelec
m Ransley

I dont think I will burn it as my county has a dusk to dawn no burn
order. Grinder or fertiliser is the order. thanks.

Bert Byfield

I dont think I will burn it as my county has a dusk to dawn no burn
order. Grinder or fertiliser is the order. thanks.

The poor man's quick alternative is to dig all the dirt from around the
root ball, and then saw through each one. Presto! And you get a lot of free
exercise in the process.

Explosives: Tree stump removal Crafty Home Repair 73 May 5th 06 05:40 PM
unfortunate Lazarus Long Woodworking 32 April 20th 04 02:44 PM
Tree stump removal Brian UK diy 46 April 6th 04 12:57 PM
Tree stump removal with rock salt? Arthur Davis Home Repair 19 February 24th 04 05:41 PM