Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default What are the ways to remove a stump?

On 19 Apr 2007 11:37:45 -0700, avid_hiker
wrote:

Drill numerous holes.

Soak in Kerosene.

Burn.

I would not advise this. Being a Vol. Fire fighter..........a root
fire can occur..........a root could smolder for days or even weeks
and sprout a brush fire somewhere down yonder.

Other than the stump grinder; You could always take your aggressions
out on it with an axe and shovel. I wish your muscles happier days
ahead :-)

Dean

Growing up; it was said to drill the holes and pour Diesel and leave
it soak or later set ablaze. Usually a large Oak stump.

As a kid with the family camping we loved to collect Loblolly pine for
camp fires. Stumps were harvested, loaded on trains and later
processed for turpentine. Not sure about today. A good hot heat on a
camp fire. The sap would snap and pop, might even get a spark on you.

A stump will burn for days in the ground as it essentially has a deep
center tap root full of sap.
--
Oren