Mark and Kim Smith

Default Best Way To Remove A Stump???? Thanks and pics link!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! The ax was my best friend on
this job. Now I just need to figure out how to get the thing up to the
bed of my truck. (Time to think like the Egyptians.) I guess I could
borrow a cherry picker (engine lift.) Once in my truck it can be
forklifted into a dumpster. Bent my hitch a little, too (1/2" steel
plate.) But those are cheap enough to replace. The receiver still
looks great, as does the hitch pin! Colbyt had mentioned to find and
cut the brother or sister to one of the big roots on the back side.
Heck!, there was a brother, sister, mother, father, first cousin, etc.
But she's out now! Thanks again for all the suggestions!!
http://www.bunchobikes.com/tree.htm

Michael Baugh

Seems like time for some steel wedges.
Two of them for about 5 dollars each, you can turn a big
stump into smaller pieces, suitable for picking up and tossing
into the back of a truck.
Not one of the sledhammer style mauls, they get stuck in the
wood too easily.
Put one of the wedges along the side near the cut portion, drive it
in with a sledge, then drive another along the split and pull the
first one out, and repeat the process, etc.

Mark and Kim Smith wrote in message
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! The ax was my best friend on
this job. Now I just need to figure out how to get the thing up to the
bed of my truck. (Time to think like the Egyptians.) I guess I could
borrow a cherry picker (engine lift.) Once in my truck it can be
forklifted into a dumpster. Bent my hitch a little, too (1/2" steel
plate.) But those are cheap enough to replace. The receiver still
looks great, as does the hitch pin! Colbyt had mentioned to find and
cut the brother or sister to one of the big roots on the back side.
Heck!, there was a brother, sister, mother, father, first cousin, etc.
But she's out now! Thanks again for all the suggestions!!
http://www.bunchobikes.com/tree.htm

Jim Elbrecht

"Michael Baugh" wrote:

Seems like time for some steel wedges.
Two of them for about 5 dollars each, you can turn a big
stump into smaller pieces, suitable for picking up and tossing
into the back of a truck.

-snip-

For one time use, I'd buy one good steel wedge and make an assortment
of wedges from the hardwood lying there. Just sharpen some 3-4-6"
diameter chunks of branch about a foot long. If the wood is
fairly hard they'll stand up to a suprising amount of abuse. [Locust
will last nearly as well as steel]

A couple advantages of wood is ;
1. you don't have to worry about sawing around them
2. you can beat on them with your axe
3. they're free

Jim
davefr

As long as the site was safe, I would have drilled holes in it and
then saturated it with diesel and burned it out.

There is no better method IMHO.

Mark and Kim Smith wrote in message ...
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! The ax was my best friend on
this job. Now I just need to figure out how to get the thing up to the
bed of my truck. (Time to think like the Egyptians.) I guess I could
borrow a cherry picker (engine lift.) Once in my truck it can be
forklifted into a dumpster. Bent my hitch a little, too (1/2" steel
plate.) But those are cheap enough to replace. The receiver still
looks great, as does the hitch pin! Colbyt had mentioned to find and
cut the brother or sister to one of the big roots on the back side.
Heck!, there was a brother, sister, mother, father, first cousin, etc.
But she's out now! Thanks again for all the suggestions!!
http://www.bunchobikes.com/tree.htm

JerryMouse

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! The ax was my best friend on
this job. Now I just need to figure out how to get the thing up to
the bed of my truck. (Time to think like the Egyptians.) I guess I
could borrow a cherry picker (engine lift.) Once in my truck it can
be forklifted into a dumpster. Bent my hitch a little, too (1/2"
steel plate.) But those are cheap enough to replace. The receiver
still looks great, as does the hitch pin! Colbyt had mentioned to
find and cut the brother or sister to one of the big roots on the
back side. Heck!, there was a brother, sister, mother, father, first
cousin, etc. But she's out now! Thanks again for all the
suggestions!! http://www.bunchobikes.com/tree.htm

Well, actually, the Egyptians did it the hard way - they had not yet
invented the pully.

No pully, no block and tackle. No force multiplier.

Think chainsaw.

willshak

davefr wrote:

As long as the site was safe, I would have drilled holes in it and
then saturated it with diesel and burned it out.

Just recently, either here or in another group, someone suggested piling
charcoal briquettes on top of the stump and lighting them. Sounds like
a good idea, but I have a propane gas grill, so I don't have any
charcoal laying around. I once tried the drilling of multiple holes,
soaking it with kerosene, and burning it, on another stump, but that
didn't work so well. I left it for about 5 years and the dryrot,
termites, and grubs helped to make it easier to dig out.
..

There is no better method IMHO.

Mark and Kim Smith wrote in message ...

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! The ax was my best friend on
this job. Now I just need to figure out how to get the thing up to the
bed of my truck. (Time to think like the Egyptians.) I guess I could
borrow a cherry picker (engine lift.) Once in my truck it can be
forklifted into a dumpster. Bent my hitch a little, too (1/2" steel
plate.) But those are cheap enough to replace. The receiver still
looks great, as does the hitch pin! Colbyt had mentioned to find and
cut the brother or sister to one of the big roots on the back side.
Heck!, there was a brother, sister, mother, father, first cousin, etc.
But she's out now! Thanks again for all the suggestions!!
http://www.bunchobikes.com/tree.htm

Stormin Mormon

Roll it up onto packing skid, build a carport over it, and wait till it
dries out a bit?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! The ax was my best friend on
this job. Now I just need to figure out how to get the thing up to the
bed of my truck. (Time to think like the Egyptians.) I guess I could
borrow a cherry picker (engine lift.) Once in my truck it can be
forklifted into a dumpster. Bent my hitch a little, too (1/2" steel
plate.) But those are cheap enough to replace. The receiver still
looks great, as does the hitch pin! Colbyt had mentioned to find and
cut the brother or sister to one of the big roots on the back side.
Heck!, there was a brother, sister, mother, father, first cousin, etc.
But she's out now! Thanks again for all the suggestions!!
http://www.bunchobikes.com/tree.htm

Stormin Mormon

The pictures looked a bit closer to the house. I remember something about
drilling it full of holes, and pack the holes with powdered milk. Wait for
it to rot. Wonder if that really works?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus