Posted to alt.home.repair

Default taking care of tools

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 16:34:44 -0700, "AKA gray asphalt"
wrote:

I've got to start taking better care of my tools. CLR got some lime or
whatever it was off of an electric stapler but my T=square is rusted beyond
help. It's a few decades old but when it was my dad's it was bright and
shiny. Is there an oil to put on things like saws clamps which seem to be
taking the worst from the desert weather here?
Thanks again,
: - )

Plain engine oil should do the job. I'd use a non-detergent straight
10W. Others mentioned 3 in 1 oil, and yes that will work too, but why
pay a high price for that stuff, then have to cope with all your tools
smelling like some nasty perfume. I never understood why make that
stuff stink like it does, and if you get it on your hands you'll smell
it for days no matter how much you wash them.

If the 10W is a little too thick, add a little kerosene to it.
Another thing that would work is Neatsfoot oil, which is intended to
oil leather saddles and other leather.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've got to start taking better care of my tools. CLR got some lime or
whatever it was off of an electric stapler but my T=square is rusted beyond
help. It's a few decades old but when it was my dad's it was bright and
shiny. Is there an oil to put on things like saws clamps which seem to be
taking the worst from the desert weather here?
Thanks again,
: - )

Indeed. Taking care of your tools is a very good idea. Last summer, I
left my favorite claw hammer out in the garden and it took some work
to get it presentable again.

Some 3-in-1 oil, and steel wool took care of most of the problem. It
would be better to never leave the tools out. Just think about how
much money good tools cost these days.

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 6:34 pm, "AKA gray asphalt"
wrote:
I've got to start taking better care of my tools. CLR got some lime or
whatever it was off of an electric stapler but my T=square is rusted beyond
help. It's a few decades old but when it was my dad's it was bright and
shiny. Is there an oil to put on things like saws clamps which seem to be
taking the worst from the desert weather here?
Thanks again,
: - )

Use steel wool, scotchbrite. or even sandpaper along with water or
W-40 to get the rust off. Wipe completely dry with paper towels.
Clean it twice if necessary.

If it's a tool you use often you can just wipe on some oil. I use
motor oil since I have it on hand. If it's in storage you can just
slather on some grease.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in
:

I've got to start taking better care of my tools. CLR got some lime or
whatever it was off of an electric stapler but my T=square is rusted
beyond help. It's a few decades old but when it was my dad's it was
bright and shiny. Is there an oil to put on things like saws clamps
which seem to be taking the worst from the desert weather here?
Thanks again,
: - )

Boeshield T-something(T-21? T-45?) is a spray on rust preventative.
Since your T-square may be used for marking bare wood,you don't want an oil
film on it,or it would affect any finish you put on later.

Desert weather should be dry and thus little rust.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I've got to start taking better care of my tools. CLR got some lime or
whatever it was off of an electric stapler but my T=square is rusted beyond
help.

Have you tried a 4 or 5" wire wheel on a bench grinder? I haven't had
anything that wouldn't improve** and some things come out like new.
Including lots of rusty things. Some times the improvement is
incredible.

I'm almost sure I'm using coarse and not fine for the wheel. I know
that's what I used on the muffler and it seemed the same.

I've even cleaned a chrome motorcycle muffler with a wire wheel, and
although it looked like 30% was covered with rust, underneath much of
that was shiny chrome. It's like the rust oozed out of a tiny hole
and spread over the surface of the chrome.

Practice on something less important of course, but it didn't take
much practice. The only hard thing is avoiding painted surfaces that
I don't want to repaint. And some times positioning the thing so that
the wire wheel can get to all the surfaces.

All I have is a grinder axle in a housing, powered by a spare motor,
like powers a furnace fan, maybe smaller than that. I can check on the
HP if it matters. I don't think I have any cover on the side, and
that helps get access, and the muffler I did with a 6" wheel and I
took off the entire cover. With the cover on, it only takes a 5"
wheel.

Spent a lot of time on the muffler and exhaust pipe, but then again,
it was almost 6 feet long.

When you do hit something you don't intend to, it doesn't do that much
damage, but that's not carte blanche.

I'm dubious about any method that doesn't use a motor because I would
never have the energy to do what the motor does.

**A couple putty knives didn't improve much, but rust was not the
issue with them.

It's a few decades old but when it was my dad's it was bright and
shiny. Is there an oil to put on things like saws clamps which seem to be
taking the worst from the desert weather here?
Thanks again,
: - )

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've got to start taking better care of my tools. CLR got some lime or
whatever it was off of an electric stapler but my T=square is rusted
beyond
help. It's a few decades old but when it was my dad's it was bright and
shiny. Is there an oil to put on things like saws clamps which seem to be
taking the worst from the desert weather here?
Thanks again,
: - )

Indeed. Taking care of your tools is a very good idea. Last summer, I
left my favorite claw hammer out in the garden and it took some work
to get it presentable again.

Some 3-in-1 oil, and steel wool took care of most of the problem. It
would be better to never leave the tools out. Just think about how
much money good tools cost these days.

Mark

The tools I left in a workshop got rusted too. Does 3 in 1 oil keep that
from happening. I think this sounds like a put on but it isn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I've got to start taking better care of my tools. CLR got some lime or
whatever it was off of an electric stapler but my T=square is rusted beyond
help. It's a few decades old but when it was my dad's it was bright and
shiny. Is there an oil to put on things like saws clamps which seem to be
taking the worst from the desert weather here?
Thanks again,
: - )

I meant to say that JCWhitney and I'm sure others sell sheets that fit
in the tool drawer that they say prevent rust. They came in a couple
standard? sizes and in a bigger sheet that one can cut to fit.

My last brake rotors came with a piece of paper in each box that were,
I think, impregnated with something to keep the rotors from rusting.
They didn't envelop the rotors, nor were they as big as the rotors,
but I'm sure they were intended to prevent any of the rotor from
rusting, and there was no rust.

So I saved these pieces of paper and will put them in the tool
drawers, but normally the tools in my basement don't rust anyhow.

But I have had tools rust when the water heater sprayed water, and I
don't even worry much anymore, because I have my wire wheel and it
makes lots of bad stuff look great again.

I even wire brushed a wooden hammer handle that had a variety of
stains on it. No one here was impressed by the idea, or even thought
it was good, but I ended up doing it anyhow, and it worked fine. Like
sandpaper but quicker. It's as fast as or faster than coarse
sandpaper, but can make an almost fine finish.

Posted to alt.home.repair

asphalt,

Car wax will prevent tools from rusting.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 23:45:27 -0700, "AKA gray asphalt"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Check into Naval Jelly. My Grandfather always used in on his hand
saws. He brushed in on, allowed to set (short period) and then cleaned
and oiled the saws.

See: Rust Treatments & Cleaners section at this link.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/quest...rme=100#cat100

Yes tools rust in the desert (frown)
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 23:45:27 -0700, "AKA gray asphalt"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Diesel, it's what I use on my guns during storage. It cleans the surface
and leaves thin coating of oil on the metal but won't harm the wood

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 13:01:34 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Never heard of that. My .357 is stainless (close the 30 years old).
Never put it in a dhishwasher for cleaning, but it is said to be safe.

You just had to mention gun cleaning; my list just got longer(G). My
bride gets to clean her own gun.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 13:01:34 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 23:45:27 -0700, "AKA gray asphalt"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

I'd watch the stainless guns. Despite what people think, stainless steel
does corrode, it just doesn't show it like regular blued steel does.
Biggest problem with stainless steel is hydrogen embrittlement. I'm not
trying to scare the hell out of you or something, just pointing out that
washing your guns isn't a good idea. Anyway enough of the lecture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

or kerosene;leaves a thin waxy coating.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 13:29:09 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 23:45:27 -0700, "AKA gray asphalt"
wrote:

om...
wrote:

[...]

Yep, I never have done the dishwasher thing. Stainless, most likely
was better 30 years ago. I don't know. A light cleaning and oil is all
it needs. A six-shooter.....
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Martel" wrote in message
ink.net...
asphalt,

Car wax will prevent tools from rusting.

Dave M.

This seems like such a great idea that it would have been more commonly
known. Is there any downside? I've heard of using car wax on table saw
blades ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1 Apr 2007 20:33:43 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 23:45:27 -0700, "AKA gray asphalt"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

Turpentine will clean a hand saw blade; removing sap. Don't know about
the coating affect.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Martel" wrote in message
ink.net...
asphalt,

Car wax will prevent tools from rusting.

Dave M.

Is there a downside to using carwax on metal tools?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 14:19:46 -0700, "AKA gray asphalt"
wrote:

"David Martel" wrote in message
link.net...
asphalt,

Car wax will prevent tools from rusting.

Dave M.

Is there a downside to using carwax on metal tools?

If there is, I will ask the local car wash to remove car wax for my
drive through wash. Wax your car and tell me?
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"David Martel" wrote in message
hlink.net...
asphalt,

Car wax will prevent tools from rusting.

Dave M.

Is there a downside to using carwax on metal tools?

If there is, I will ask the local car wash to remove car wax for my
drive through wash. Wax your car and tell me?
--
Oren

I get that this done a lot, the wax. Cool, thanks.
011 52 6461725039

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Is oil better than wax? Seems like wax would be a less messy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Martel wrote:
asphalt,

Car wax will prevent tools from rusting.

So will paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message
I've got to start taking better care of my tools. CLR got some lime or
whatever it was off of an electric stapler but my T=square is rusted
beyond help. It's a few decades old but when it was my dad's it was bright
and shiny. Is there an oil to put on things like saws clamps which seem to
be taking the worst from the desert weather here?
Thanks again,

Hard to imagine that the square would rust in a desert environment unless
you left it outside. That's when I have the most problems with my stuff.
Or, I leave it there with the intention of returning the next day, then
don't. Now, I try to put things up daily. I, too, live in the desert, in
Las Vegas. And yes, stuff rusts or corrodes if you leave it out.

Other than that, I'd just use light oil, like a 5-20 wiped on there, and
bring them in at night or when it rains.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"AKA gray asphalt"

The tools I left in a workshop got rusted too. Does 3 in 1 oil keep that
from happening. I think this sounds like a put on but it isn't.

Which desert do you live in, son?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is there a downside to using carwax on metal tools?

Birds void their bowels over freshly waxed cars in my experience. Hasn't
happened in my tool box but they are wily creatures. If you oil or grease
your tools dirt will quickly accumulate.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message
I've got to start taking better care of my tools. CLR got some lime or
whatever it was off of an electric stapler but my T=square is rusted
beyond help. It's a few decades old but when it was my dad's it was bright
and shiny. Is there an oil to put on things like saws clamps which seem to
be taking the worst from the desert weather here?
Thanks again,
: - )

I'm in the desert (NM) too and unless I leave something out and it rains,
stuff just doesn't rust. For my tools however, I do put on just plain ole
Johnson's paste wax. Mostly to keep things slick but it has prevented
rust the few times my tools got wet. For additional protection, you can
check into Boeshield T-9. Pricey but many say it's good stuff.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 4:29 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:

I'd watch the stainless guns. Despite what people think, stainless steel
does corrode, it just doesn't show it like regular blued steel does.
Biggest problem with stainless steel is hydrogen embrittlement. I'm not
trying to scare the hell out of you or something, just pointing out that
washing your guns isn't a good idea. Anyway enough of the lecture.

Interesting. Would you have a reference for the embrittlement
phenomenon in commercial grades of stainless in mildly corrosive
environments?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cavedweller" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Apr 1, 4:29 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:

I'd watch the stainless guns. Despite what people think, stainless steel
does corrode, it just doesn't show it like regular blued steel does.
Biggest problem with stainless steel is hydrogen embrittlement. I'm not
trying to scare the hell out of you or something, just pointing out that
washing your guns isn't a good idea. Anyway enough of the lecture.

Interesting. Would you have a reference for the embrittlement
phenomenon in commercial grades of stainless in mildly corrosive
environments?

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?articleID=1177

Well that wasn't hard was it. And that was just a simple Google search,
there are many other references out there of course - but you'll have to
take a trip to the library.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ps.com... On Apr 1, 4:29 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:

I'd watch the stainless guns. Despite what people think, stainless steel
does corrode, it just doesn't show it like regular blued steel does.
Biggest problem with stainless steel is hydrogen embrittlement. I'm not
trying to scare the hell out of you or something, just pointing out that
washing your guns isn't a good idea. Anyway enough of the lecture.

Interesting. Would you have a reference for the embrittlement
phenomenon in commercial grades of stainless in mildly corrosive
environments?

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?articleID=1177

Well that wasn't hard was it. And that was just a simple Google search,
there are many other references out there of course - but you'll have to
take a trip to the library.

Hmmm, no reference to embrittlement there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2 Apr 2007 06:28:39 -0700, "cavedweller"
wrote:

On Apr 2, 9:11 am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
http://www.azom.com/details.asp?articleID=1177

Well that wasn't hard was it. And that was just a simple Google search,
there are many other references out there of course - but you'll have to
take a trip to the library.

Hmmm, no reference to embrittlement there.

You are one LAZY son-of-a-gun. Type the word into the search field at
the top of that page.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Apr 2, 9:11 am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
http://www.azom.com/details.asp?articleID=1177

Well that wasn't hard was it. And that was just a simple Google search,
there are many other references out there of course - but you'll have to
take a trip to the library.

Hmmm, no reference to embrittlement there.

You are one LAZY son-of-a-gun. Type the word into the search field at
the top of that page.

Mark

Right you are, Mark...a lazy metallurgist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cavedweller" wrote in
oups.com:

On Apr 2, 9:11 am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
"cavedweller" wrote in message

ps.com... On Apr
1, 4:29 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:

I'd watch the stainless guns. Despite what people think,
stainless steel does corrode, it just doesn't show it like regular
blued steel does. Biggest problem with stainless steel is hydrogen
embrittlement. I'm not trying to scare the hell out of you or
something, just pointing out that washing your guns isn't a good
idea. Anyway enough of the lecture.

Interesting. Would you have a reference for the embrittlement
phenomenon in commercial grades of stainless in mildly corrosive
environments?

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?articleID=1177

Well that wasn't hard was it. And that was just a simple Google
search, there are many other references out there of course - but
you'll have to take a trip to the library.

Hmmm, no reference to embrittlement there.

how does OXIDATION (rusting) bring *hydrogen* into the alloy for
embrittlement?

During welding or brazing,H2 embrittlement is a problem,but not under
ordinary temps.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 4:42 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
"cavedweller" wrote groups.com:

On Apr 2, 9:11 am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
"cavedweller" wrote in message

oups.com... On Apr
1, 4:29 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:

[...]

You'll just get told to Google it you know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

[...]

I live near Vegas. North Las Vegas. : -)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
. ..

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message
I've got to start taking better care of my tools. CLR got some lime or
whatever it was off of an electric stapler but my T=square is rusted
beyond help. It's a few decades old but when it was my dad's it was
bright and shiny. Is there an oil to put on things like saws clamps which
seem to be taking the worst from the desert weather here?
Thanks again,
: - )

I'm in the desert (NM) too and unless I leave something out and it rains,
stuff just doesn't rust. For my tools however, I do put on just plain
ole Johnson's paste wax. Mostly to keep things slick but it has
prevented rust the few times my tools got wet. For additional protection,
you can check into Boeshield T-9. Pricey but many say it's good stuff.
Cheers,
cc

When I leave stuff in the little workshop in back of my house, things seem
to rust. There isn't any water anywhere near them. Is it the moisture in the
desert air or is it my imagination?

Would liquid wax work as well as paste on the tools to prevent rust?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 23:31:42 -0700, "AKA gray asphalt"
wrote:

[...]

Any moisture in the air will cause metal to rust. This is compounded
by salt, acidic conditions, and temperature. Wipe your tools using a
rag dampened with kerosene and store the tools in an air-tight
container.
Posted to alt.home.repair

CaveDweller wrote:

Right you are, Mark...a lazy metallurgist.

LOL. A good example of why it's wise to be polite to everyone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote

I live near Vegas. North Las Vegas. : -)

I live in Vegas near Pecos/Trop. The only time I have a problem with stuff
is when I forget and leave it out.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 10:10:03 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote

I live near Vegas. North Las Vegas. : -)

I live in Vegas near Pecos/Trop. The only time I have a problem with stuff
is when I forget and leave it out.

Pebble/215

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3 Apr 2007 09:23:06 -0700, "Greg Esres"
wrote:

CaveDweller wrote:

Right you are, Mark...a lazy metallurgist.

LOL. A good example of why it's wise to be polite to everyone.

Being a metallurgist, even if he is really a metallurgist, still
doesn't excuse him for being lazy.

Mark