Posted to alt.home.repair

Default taking care of tools

Mark K wrote:
Being a metallurgist, even if he is really a metallurgist, still
doesn't excuse him for being lazy.

It isn't lazy, IMO, to ask someone making possibly erroneous
statements to defend them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 10:10:03 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote

I live near Vegas. North Las Vegas. : -)

I live in Vegas near Pecos/Trop. The only time I have a problem with
stuff
is when I forget and leave it out.

Pebble/215

--
Oren

Small world, eh?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3 Apr 2007 10:57:19 -0700, "Greg Esres"
wrote:

Mark K wrote:
Being a metallurgist, even if he is really a metallurgist, still
doesn't excuse him for being lazy.

It isn't lazy, IMO, to ask someone making possibly erroneous
statements to defend them.

It's lazy when he didn't bother to enter the word in the search field
on that site before coming back here and proclaiming that the site
didn't have any information on embrittlement. It took all of three
seconds.

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Greg Esres" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mark K wrote:
Being a metallurgist, even if he is really a metallurgist, still
doesn't excuse him for being lazy.

It isn't lazy, IMO, to ask someone making possibly erroneous
statements to defend them.

As Bill would say, "Define 'lazy' ".

How can anyone defend or make the charge of being lazy? There is no proof,
nor defense.

It's a conundrum.

(Geez, using the word Bill and conundrum in the same message, I hope I got
my words right.)

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

Mark K wrote:
Being a metallurgist, even if he is really a metallurgist, still
doesn't excuse him for being lazy.

It isn't lazy, IMO, to ask someone making possibly erroneous
statements to defend them.

It's lazy when he didn't bother to enter the word in the search field
on that site before coming back here and proclaiming that the site
didn't have any information on embrittlement. It took all of three
seconds.

Mark

IT'S OFFICIAL! Newsgroups are closing. We can all go to Google for what we
want. All this social interaction and dealing with people who are dumb was
really starting to bother me. ;-)

Yipeeeeeee!

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Mark K wrote:
Being a metallurgist, even if he is really a metallurgist, still
doesn't excuse him for being lazy.

It isn't lazy, IMO, to ask someone making possibly erroneous
statements to defend them.

It's lazy when he didn't bother to enter the word in the search field
on that site before coming back here and proclaiming that the site
didn't have any information on embrittlement. It took all of three
seconds.

Mark

Mark, I didn't really have to look. The only reason I looked at the
page that the other poster had referenced was to try to understand
where he had derived the information to offer his previous cryptic
caution to another poster about hydrogen embrittlement resulting when
a handgun was washed in a dishwasher.

There was no mention in that link of hydrogen embrittlement of what I
had referred to as commercial stainless steels in a mildly corrosive
environment--as typified by the stainless steel handgun in a
dishwasher scenario. I hadn't really expected to find any such
reference.

Hydrogen embrittlement is most commonly associated with the behaviour
of strong acids on hardened steels, particularly during electroplating
operations. There are thermal treatments to ameliorate that type of
embrittlement.

A few weeks ago, the authority on hydrogen embrittlement couldn't
understand why the handle of a wrench he had bought was discolouring.
I had suggested, at that time, that the problem with the wrench might
be due to the corrosive effects from his sweat on the lean alloy steel
from which the wrench was made. Of course, at that time, it wasn't
clear what time of plating or coating was on his wrench.

My input, based on just a little experience with steels and their
corrosion behaviour, was dismissed, seemingly on the basis that I was
wrong, but that it would be pointless to argue with me about it.

Polite enough?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cavedweller" wrote in
oups.com:

On Apr 2, 4:42 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
"cavedweller" wrote
groups.com:

On Apr 2, 9:11 am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
"cavedweller" wrote in message

oups.com... On Apr
1, 4:29 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:

I'd watch the stainless guns. Despite what people think,
stainless steel does corrode, it just doesn't show it like
regular blued steel does. Biggest problem with stainless steel
is hydrogen embrittlement. I'm not trying to scare the hell out
of you or something, just pointing out that washing your guns
isn't a good idea. Anyway enough of the lecture.

Interesting. Would you have a reference for the embrittlement
phenomenon in commercial grades of stainless in mildly corrosive
environments?

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?articleID=1177

Well that wasn't hard was it. And that was just a simple Google
search, there are many other references out there of course - but
you'll have to take a trip to the library.

Hmmm, no reference to embrittlement there.

how does OXIDATION (rusting) bring *hydrogen* into the alloy for
embrittlement?

During welding or brazing,H2 embrittlement is a problem,but not under
ordinary temps.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

You'll just get told to Google it you know.

I thought UseNet convention was for the claimant to provide the proof,by a
cite or a link to the cite,not to tell the doubter to search themselves?

IOW,the one who claims "corrosion creates Hydrogen embrittlement" should
provide the specific proof,in a cite. If the page cited is large,then the
citer should post the relevant part.

O course,the OP's wording did not specifically claim "corrosion created the
embrittlement",just that "embrittlement was a problem with SS".

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in
:

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
. ..

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message
I've got to start taking better care of my tools. CLR got some lime
or whatever it was off of an electric stapler but my T=square is
rusted beyond help. It's a few decades old but when it was my dad's
it was bright and shiny. Is there an oil to put on things like saws
clamps which seem to be taking the worst from the desert weather
here? Thanks again,
: - )

I'm in the desert (NM) too and unless I leave something out and it
rains, stuff just doesn't rust. For my tools however, I do put on
just plain ole Johnson's paste wax. Mostly to keep things slick
but it has prevented rust the few times my tools got wet. For
additional protection, you can check into Boeshield T-9. Pricey but
many say it's good stuff. Cheers,
cc

When I leave stuff in the little workshop in back of my house, things
seem to rust. There isn't any water anywhere near them. Is it the
moisture in the desert air or is it my imagination?

it could be condensation when nighttime temps drop and things cool down.
Around a household,there would be more moisture available than in the open
desert.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Greg Esres" wrote in
oups.com:

Mark K wrote:
Being a metallurgist, even if he is really a metallurgist, still
doesn't excuse him for being lazy.

It isn't lazy, IMO, to ask someone making possibly erroneous
statements to defend them.

and if they cite a huge page of text,to post the relevant part they are
referrring to.
It's NOT stealing from the author,nor copyright infringement

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark K wrote in
news
wrote:

Mark K wrote:
Being a metallurgist, even if he is really a metallurgist, still
doesn't excuse him for being lazy.

It isn't lazy, IMO, to ask someone making possibly erroneous
statements to defend them.

It's lazy when he didn't bother to enter the word in the search field
on that site before coming back here and proclaiming that the site
didn't have any information on embrittlement. It took all of three
seconds.

Mark

I do not believe it's "lazy" to expect a poster to give a cite or link that
goes DIRECT to the pertinent info that is the "cite". Or else to clip and
post the pertinent info.

All that guy did was to link to a metallurgy site and say "search";NO
different than citing "Google" and saying "search".

It's the claimant's duty to provide a *specific* cite.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Apr 2007 00:31:51 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

I do not believe it's "lazy" to expect a poster to give a cite or link that
goes DIRECT to the pertinent info that is the "cite". Or else to clip and
post the pertinent info.

You're welcome to your opinion. I still think it is lazy to visit a
site and come back to report that there was no information on that
site about embrittlement, when the site was absolutely LOADED with
information on embrittlement.

I wasn't even a part of the argument, and I found the information in a
few seconds. He was just too eager to be a wise guy.

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 3 Apr 2007 23:22:26 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

"Greg Esres" wrote in
roups.com:

Mark K wrote:
Being a metallurgist, even if he is really a metallurgist, still
doesn't excuse him for being lazy.

It isn't lazy, IMO, to ask someone making possibly erroneous
statements to defend them.

and if they cite a huge page of text,to post the relevant part they are
referrring to.
It's NOT stealing from the author,nor copyright infringement

I didn't look at this page and haven't been following this argument,
but in another group on another subject, more important even than this
imo, there was a guy who made strange claims and constantly cited
webpages that didn't support his claim. Often they had nothing to do
with it. After enough people pointed this out, he started citing
journals and magazines. After I found a specialty library that had
most of those, and saw that they had either nothing to do with the
specific topic, I reported that to the group.

Eventually he left the group and became a contributor to some
"resource" webpages, where they had a little bit about everything, but
there was no discussion.

Eventually he ended up at Wikipedia where he contrinued to repeat his
nonsense and the one time I looked, someone was saying if he didn't
remove his text that someone would. Wikipedia a couple years ago
gave a little bit of background discussion like this, the fighting
between the crazy guy and the other ones, but it must not have had
anywhere near all of it online.

During this time the guy was enrolled in a graduate degree program at
a university and it seems never got his degree, so wrapped up he was
in posting nonsense on the net.