Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default taking care of tools

"cavedweller" wrote in
oups.com:

On Apr 2, 9:11 am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
"cavedweller" wrote in message

ps.com... On Apr
1, 4:29 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:

I'd watch the stainless guns. Despite what people think,
stainless steel does corrode, it just doesn't show it like regular
blued steel does. Biggest problem with stainless steel is hydrogen
embrittlement. I'm not trying to scare the hell out of you or
something, just pointing out that washing your guns isn't a good
idea. Anyway enough of the lecture.

Interesting. Would you have a reference for the embrittlement
phenomenon in commercial grades of stainless in mildly corrosive
environments?

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?articleID=1177

Well that wasn't hard was it. And that was just a simple Google
search, there are many other references out there of course - but
you'll have to take a trip to the library.

Hmmm, no reference to embrittlement there.

how does OXIDATION (rusting) bring *hydrogen* into the alloy for
embrittlement?

During welding or brazing,H2 embrittlement is a problem,but not under
ordinary temps.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik