Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Door bell wired wrong

We have a door bell that is wired in such a way that it won't work
unless the front entry way light is on??? The bell has a white and
red thin guage wire going into the wall and I can't find where the
wires go to? I have looked in the receptacle box for both the entry
way light switch and light fixture but the bell wires are not found in
either. I have also looked at the breaker box and surroundings but
still can't find any such wires??? Aren't these a low voltage type of
wires that go to a small transformer or something? I am only a novice
at house wiring but too cheap to call an electrician. Any help or
suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve" wrote in message
ups.com...
We have a door bell that is wired in such a way that it won't work
unless the front entry way light is on??? The bell has a white and
red thin guage wire going into the wall and I can't find where the
wires go to? I have looked in the receptacle box for both the entry
way light switch and light fixture but the bell wires are not found in
either. I have also looked at the breaker box and surroundings but
still can't find any such wires??? Aren't these a low voltage type of
wires that go to a small transformer or something? I am only a novice
at house wiring but too cheap to call an electrician. Any help or
suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Steve

sonds like the transformer is hooked into the kight so that it only gets
power when the switch is on. may have to move it to a different wire where
it currently is or may have to move it to a different location where there
is constant power source for the transformer

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On 7 Feb 2007 09:14:37 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

We have a door bell that is wired in such a way that it won't work
unless the front entry way light is on??? The bell has a white and
red thin guage wire going into the wall and I can't find where the
wires go to? I have looked in the receptacle box for both the entry
way light switch and light fixture but the bell wires are not found in
either. I have also looked at the breaker box and surroundings but
still can't find any such wires??? Aren't these a low voltage type of
wires that go to a small transformer or something? I am only a novice
at house wiring but too cheap to call an electrician. Any help or
suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Steve

They go up into the attic to a small 24 volt transformer that is
connected to 110v wiring - somewhere near your entry light.
Unfortunately, yours is NOT connected to the proper 110v source.

Find the transformer and move it to another hot source that is not
switched.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DK" wrote in message
[...]

Better yet: Disconnect it, take it down in the cellar and put it there,
which is where it belongs, especially if you have an unfinished attic full
of fiberglass insulation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote:
We have a door bell that is wired in such a way that it won't work
unless the front entry way light is on??? The bell has a white and
red thin guage wire going into the wall and I can't find where the
wires go to? I have looked in the receptacle box for both the entry
way light switch and light fixture but the bell wires are not found in
either. I have also looked at the breaker box and surroundings but
still can't find any such wires??? Aren't these a low voltage type of
wires that go to a small transformer or something? I am only a novice
at house wiring but too cheap to call an electrician. Any help or
suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Steve

1. Put a CFL in the porch fixture and leave the sucker on all the time.
2. Tape over the doorbell button and encourage people to knock.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Steve wrote:
We have a door bell that is wired in such a way that it won't work
unless the front entry way light is on??? The bell has a white and
red thin guage wire going into the wall and I can't find where the
wires go to? I have looked in the receptacle box for both the entry
way light switch and light fixture but the bell wires are not found in
either. I have also looked at the breaker box and surroundings but
still can't find any such wires??? Aren't these a low voltage type of
wires that go to a small transformer or something? I am only a novice
at house wiring but too cheap to call an electrician. Any help or
suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Steve

1. Put a CFL in the porch fixture and leave the sucker on all the time.
2. Tape over the doorbell button and encourage people to knock.

My doorbell works. But, everyone knocks. If I put up a sign that said
"Doorbell Broken", they'd probably stand there pressing the button for a
half hour.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 12:31 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"DK" wrote in message

[...]

I agree. I never wanted to wire one but someone gave me a new one as
a present last year with just transmitter/receiver, batteries in
each. Don't think it cost much, works well, and no wiring.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
:

Steve wrote:
We have a door bell that is wired in such a way that it won't work
unless the front entry way light is on??? The bell has a white and
red thin guage wire going into the wall and I can't find where the
wires go to? I have looked in the receptacle box for both the entry
way light switch and light fixture but the bell wires are not found in
either. I have also looked at the breaker box and surroundings but
still can't find any such wires??? Aren't these a low voltage type of
wires that go to a small transformer or something? I am only a novice
at house wiring but too cheap to call an electrician. Any help or
suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Steve

1. Put a CFL in the porch fixture and leave the sucker on all the time.
2. Tape over the doorbell button and encourage people to knock.

3) Put up Bubonic Plague sign.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Your bell transformer is attached to the front hall fixture, but you're not
going to see the R&W low voltage wires in the fixture junction box as they
are on the "load" (16 volt) side of the transformer, which is probably
mounted to the outside of that lighting outlet box. It is possible that
there is a constant live feed in that outlet box and the bell transformer
was inadvertently connected to the switched leg instead

"Steve" wrote in message
ups.com...
We have a door bell that is wired in such a way that it won't work
unless the front entry way light is on??? The bell has a white and
red thin guage wire going into the wall and I can't find where the
wires go to? I have looked in the receptacle box for both the entry
way light switch and light fixture but the bell wires are not found in
either. I have also looked at the breaker box and surroundings but
still can't find any such wires??? Aren't these a low voltage type of
wires that go to a small transformer or something? I am only a novice
at house wiring but too cheap to call an electrician. Any help or
suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve" wrote in message
ups.com...
We have a door bell that is wired in such a way that it won't work
unless the front entry way light is on??? The bell has a white and
red thin guage wire going into the wall and I can't find where the
wires go to? I have looked in the receptacle box for both the entry
way light switch and light fixture but the bell wires are not found in
either. I have also looked at the breaker box and surroundings but
still can't find any such wires??? Aren't these a low voltage type of
wires that go to a small transformer or something? I am only a novice
at house wiring but too cheap to call an electrician. Any help or
suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Steve

Why mess with it? Buy a wireless.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

My doorbell works. But, everyone knocks. If I put up a sign that said
"Doorbell Broken", they'd probably stand there pressing the button for a
half hour.

The only people who come to the main door at my house are the Mormon
missionaries and process servers. The others know how to come through the
garage or around to the back doors.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

My doorbell works. But, everyone knocks. If I put up a sign that said
"Doorbell Broken", they'd probably stand there pressing the button for a
half hour.

The only people who come to the main door at my house are the Mormon
missionaries and process servers. The others know how to come through the
garage or around to the back doors.

Steve

Process servers plural??? How many wives have you had? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 7 Feb 2007 09:14:37 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

We have a door bell that is wired in such a way that it won't work
unless the front entry way light is on??? The bell has a white and
red thin guage wire going into the wall and I can't find where the
wires go to? I have looked in the receptacle box for both the entry
way light switch and light fixture but the bell wires are not found in
either. I have also looked at the breaker box and surroundings but
still can't find any such wires??? Aren't these a low voltage type of
wires that go to a small transformer or something? I am only a novice

Yes, that's right. Maybe 3 inches by 3 by 3, or so. Often grey
shaped ends with a black middle, a couple screws on one side with the
thin wires, and heavy wires on the other side, that disappear into
what ever the transformer is mounted to.

Sometimes they are mounted to the breaker box, but mine is on a joist
in the ceiling of the basement attached to a light fixture box, but on
the other side of the laundry room from the breaker box. OTOH, if it
is in one of the regular places, it would be hard to imange how they
managed to wire it into the front light.

Most houses are built along with other houses on the same block, even
if they don't look alike. Maybe your neighbors have already dealt
with this, and can tell you where to find things. I suppose there
might have been more than one crew so some houses might be more
standard than others.

If you ever find those two thin wires somewhere, you'll be well on
your way to solving this.

at house wiring but too cheap to call an electrician. Any help or
suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

A doorbell-- so that is what that is. Every time we go to look for where
that music is coming from, somebody comes to the door! Seriously, can
you find any wires going to the doorbell swich, and to the bell itself.
If you can find either, trace it down and it should lead you to the
tranformer. If the transformer is in a spot that is too hard to access,
just go buy a new one-- only a few dollars- and hook it up to a constant
source of 120 volts wherever is easiest. One low voltage wire from the
transformer will go straight to the bell, and the other to the switch
and then back to the bll. Good luck Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

For what it is worth, mine is in the attic, hung off the box feeding the
bathroom and hall lights. Only six feet or so from the ringer. Sounds like
they put it on the same switched circuit as the light, which means it is
probably near the door, assuming a typical switch leg down from the box on
the porch. Where is the inside chime? I'd bet the transformer is either in
attic like mine, or in a box in a closet, somewhere close by. It may be in a
papered or painted over housing, or even in the same box as the ringer.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yup, the Beverly Hillbillies is what I was referrring to. IMO, that is
by far the funniest show that has ever been on TV, period. It is hard to
believe it has been 44 years since it began, and it is just as funny
today as it was then. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

My doorbell works. But, everyone knocks. If I put up a sign that said
"Doorbell Broken", they'd probably stand there pressing the button for a
half hour.

The only people who come to the main door at my house are the Mormon
missionaries and process servers. The others know how to come through
the garage or around to the back doors.

Steve

Process servers plural??? How many wives have you had? :-)

I'd rather not comment, as there are things that were never proven in court

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"lp13-30" wrote in message
Yup, the Beverly Hillbillies is what I was referrring to. IMO, that is
by far the funniest show that has ever been on TV, period. It is hard to
believe it has been 44 years since it began, and it is just as funny
today as it was then. Larry

I was channel surfing last night and ............

Green Acres .........

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 11:14 am, "Steve" wrote:

I can't believe I got so many replies on this very serious problem and
question I had regarding my faulty wired front door bell!

I haven't had such a good laugh reading them in such a long time!

We have lived in this same house since June of 1981 with this same
faulty wired door bell and for some strange reason I thought it might
be time to finally see if I could rectify the problem. I guess
because the bell is mounted on the wall in our front entry way hallway
and I just took it down the other day to repaper the wall.

What I should have done was to just fill in the little hole in the
wall where the wires come through and paper over the dang thing and be
done with it. No one has ever come to the house in the past 26 years
and complained that our door bell doesn't work.

I guess I could still take the stupid bell back off the wall and hang
a picture over the little hole............

Thanks for the many ideas - it made my day!

I wonder where Ellie May is? Out by the ce-ment pond?

Steve ;-}

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ellie May... Wheeeeeeeeee doggie!

--
Steve Barker

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the many ideas - it made my day!

I wonder where Ellie May is? Out by the ce-ment pond?

Steve ;-}

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 9:04 pm, "Steve Barker" wrote:
Ellie May... Wheeeeeeeeee doggie!

Loved that show! Especially the first year or two it was on........

Wish I could hit some of that "Black Gold - Texas Tea!"

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 7 Feb 2007 18:45:39 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

We have lived in this same house since June of 1981 with this same
faulty wired door bell and for some strange reason I thought it might
be time to finally see if I could rectify the problem.

I've had a desklamp, the kind with a heavy steel base and a flexible,
spiral metal tube going up to the light, with a semispherical metal
shade around the bulb, where the top of the copper colored bulb
holder, which has the weight of the bulb and the metal shade on it,
and the socket itself, falls off a lot, probably every time I used it,
and it's done this since I got the lamp in 1966.

That's probably why the previous owner left it behind in a room I
lived in after he did.

Last summer I finally drilled a hole through the top part and the
bottom part, and put in a short sheet metal screw. It hasn't come
apart since.

I guess
because the bell is mounted on the wall in our front entry way hallway
and I just took it down the other day to repaper the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hard to believe, but Ellie May is 70 this year, or possibly even older.
I had read that she was born in 1937, which would have put her at 25
when the show began and 34 when it ended, but recently saw several sites
on the web that gave her BOD as several years before that. I read that
she has a son who was born in 1954. Regardless, she sure did look good
on the show. I guess she and Jethro are the only ones left from the
original cast now. Time marches on-- Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yup, the Beverly Hillbillies is what I was referrring to. IMO, that is
by far the funniest show that has ever been on TV, period. It is hard to
believe it has been 44 years since it began, and it is just as funny
today as it was then. Larry

Yeah. It had the potential to be so stupid, but instead it was great.

And if it came on today, they wouldn't let it on. It is not politically
correct, and profiles minorities in a derogatory way. If you think of it, a
lot of the old shows wouldn't be PC correct enough to make it through the
network screeners today.

The other day, I watched Blazing Saddles. Blazing Saddles would not be
allowed today, and I wonder how this was allowed back then. They cut out
the fart scene around the campfire, but left in the doobie smoking scenes in
the marshall's office.

Go figger.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

My doorbell works. But, everyone knocks. If I put up a sign that said
"Doorbell Broken", they'd probably stand there pressing the button for a
half hour.

The only people who come to the main door at my house are the Mormon
missionaries and process servers. The others know how to come through the
garage or around to the back doors.

Steve

When I was about ten years old my father was working three jobs to keep
the family fed. Sunday morning was the only day he got to sleep in. It
was also the day that a Saturday sabbath sect would try to convert the
Sunday sabbath heretics. The first time they called my mother told them
never to return but that only raised their missionary fervor. The
second time my father promised they would regret it if they wakened him
again. When they still insisted that he should hear them out he
developed an oddly determined look. The next Saturday he got his boss
to let him off early and came home with a box of parts from his full
time employers scrap heap. He spent five hours running pipes in the
front porch overhead. When they rang the door bell the next morning the
solenoid valve opened and they were soaked by the cold water coming from
the newly installed fire sprinklers in the porch ceiling. When they
returned the next Sunday carrying umbrellas my father had already opened
the valve that supplied the cornice sprinklers in each corner of the
porch that pointed upward from floor level. My mother, having lost all
patience with these zealots had called the police when they had hove
into sight. Not only did they get soaked again but they had to have a
conversation with a harness bull who, like my mother, was Irish
Catholic. My siblings and I watched in fascination as that policeman
wrote each of them a citation for trespass. The next Sunday morning we
awoke to find part of the catholic high school football squad camped out
in cars in front of our house. I think my father was disappointed that
my mother had run the zealots off. I suspect that he had several more
Sundays worth of entertainment planned for us when my mother spoiled it
all by loosing her temper. She knew how hard my dad was working and
really got mad at these deluded folks. She had not noticed that my
father was having a good time outwitting them.
--
Tom Horne

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

Cut out the fart scene??? Local TV station?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 9:02 pm, Thomas Horne wrote:
Steve B wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

[...]

When I first moved into this house in the country, I was plagued by
the JWs for several years. I learned that if you start to talk to
them, even just to say 'not interested' they ain't gonna leae without
a fight.

I thought I had fixed the problem the day I was woke up (working
graveyard). Sleep in the nekkidness so threw on a bathrobe to answer
the door...yep them again. Had a reasonable conversation going saying
I really wasn't interested etc when they suddenly left. Gee, could it
be that I was letting my robe gape open more and more?

No more heard from them for years then two years ago, there they were
again.

I saw the Watchtower sticking out of their briefcase as I oopened the
door. "I am not interested in your cult. Leave, NOW!"

Haven't seen them since.

Point is the only thing that works is outright rudeness.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, "Harry K" wrote:

When I first moved into this house in the country, I was plagued by
the JWs for several years. I learned that if you start to talk to
them, even just to say 'not interested' they ain't gonna leae without
a fight.

What do you expect, if you continue to stand there? In my experience, it works
just fine to tell them politely: "Thank you, but I'm not interested. Good
day!" then turn around and go back in the house.
[snip]
Point is the only thing that works is outright rudeness.

The only thing you've found, perhaps -- or tried -- and of course that doesn't
bother them anyway: "Blessed are you when they persecute and revile you for my
sake..."

The method I described above worked fine for me for a long time. Then, about
eight years ago, I found an even better one. I tell the JWs we're Roman
Catholic [true, BTW] and happy with it [also true].

They don't seem to want to stick around long after that.

At our previous house, the crucifix hanging on the living room wall was
*clearly* visible as soon as the front door was opened. They just didn't seem
to want to stick around.

I'm not really sure why.

But I'm not complaining.

Nor am I rude to the JWs. It's neither necessary, nor right.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
t...
In article .com, "Harry
K" wrote:

[...]

They used to catch me when I was outside doing yard work. They'd try the
pamphlet trick. I'd point to the trash barrel and ask them to save me having
to do it myself. Twice, I got an argument. I told them wasting resources was
sinful, only agents of satan would do such a thing, and I dealt harshly with
agents of satan on my land. They left quickly. In one case, I had a pitch
fork in my hand and they left faster than quickly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

They used to catch me when I was outside doing yard work. They'd try the
pamphlet trick. I'd point to the trash barrel and ask them to save me having
to do it myself. Twice, I got an argument. I told them wasting resources was
sinful, only agents of satan would do such a thing, and I dealt harshly with
agents of satan on my land. They left quickly. In one case, I had a pitch
fork in my hand and they left faster than quickly.

ROTFL!

It's not necessary to be confrontational with them, though. The ones that have
come to my door honestly don't seem interested in evangelizing Catholics. I'm
guessing that the slight emphasis I lay on the word "Roman" may help in that
regard, but I don't really know.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

. net...
wrote:

[...]

I don't WANT to get confrontational with people, but when I say "No thanks",
it means exactly that. These people wanted to get into a debate. My
neighbors, who I was very friendly with, knew that because of my gardening
addiction, there was never enough time to get it all done. So, the rule was
"Ya wanna talk with me, you gotta walk with me". The JWs weren't worth
explaining that to.

I got a similar routine from the cable TV company last week. I have the most
basic service for $7.23 per month. 5 local channels plus 4-5 other weird
ones they include. I just don't watch TV much.

Salesperson: We've got a special offer this month for digital cable. $XX for
the first 3 months.
Me: No thanks. I hardly ever watch TV, so I'm not interested.
Salesperson: Digital cable has 4 trillion channels including the stamp
collecting network blah blah blah...
Me: Really, I'm not interested. I'd rather read a book or listen to music or
something.
Salesperson: Would you be interested in seeing a complete list of all the
offerings on digital cable?
Me: Ma'am, I told you I'm not interested.
Salesperson: We hear that from a lot of customers, but they're often
surprised once they actually try it.
Me: Señora, no me gusta la televisión.
Salesperson: Excuse me?
Me: Well, you obviously don't understand English, so I thought I'd try
Spanish. Did I say it correctly?
Salesperson: {nervous laugh} What did it mean?
Me: It meant "I didn't know deaf people could work in telemarketing".

Click

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 13:18:58 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

My doorbell works. But, everyone knocks. If I put up a sign that said
"Doorbell Broken", they'd probably stand there pressing the button for a
half hour.

The only people who come to the main door at my house are the Mormon
missionaries and process servers. The others know how to come through the
garage or around to the back doors.

Steve

I have a little video camera at my front door, making it easy to tell
when it'd be better not to open the door, such as with strangers
carrying Bibles (or vacuum cleaners).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 18:34:35 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"lp13-30" wrote in message
Yup, the Beverly Hillbillies is what I was referrring to. IMO, that is
by far the funniest show that has ever been on TV, period. It is hard to
believe it has been 44 years since it began, and it is just as funny
today as it was then. Larry

I was channel surfing last night and ............

Green Acres .........

Steve

Those shows are related. There's a third relative called Petticoat
Junction.

As to doorbells, my grandmother had trouble with telling which door it
was for when someone rung the bell, and they had often given up by the
time she'd checked all the doors. I fixed that by adding an electronic
buzzer I had, across the FRONT solenoid (so it worked only with the
front door). The buzzer I had was a pulsating one and required DC, so
I added a rectifier and capacitor to it. Now when someone's at the
front door, you hear the ding-dong as well as BEEP!! BEEP! BEEP beep
bip bp. Easy to know what door to go to.

That house has since been sold twice. I've been in it since then and
that thing is still there.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 05:02:36 GMT, Thomas Horne
wrote:

Steve B wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

My doorbell works. But, everyone knocks. If I put up a sign that said
"Doorbell Broken", they'd probably stand there pressing the button for a
half hour.

The only people who come to the main door at my house are the Mormon
missionaries and process servers. The others know how to come through the
garage or around to the back doors.

Steve

When I was about ten years old my father was working three jobs to keep
the family fed. Sunday morning was the only day he got to sleep in. It
was also the day that a Saturday sabbath sect would try to convert the
Sunday sabbath heretics. The first time they called my mother told them
never to return but that only raised their missionary fervor.

I never really understood how they seemed to think that ONE MORE
repetition of that nonsense (which did actually remind me of a male
bovine) would have a completely different effect.

[snip]