Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Door bell wired wrong

On Feb 7, 9:02 pm, Thomas Horne wrote:
Steve B wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

My doorbell works. But, everyone knocks. If I put up a sign that said
"Doorbell Broken", they'd probably stand there pressing the button for a
half hour.

The only people who come to the main door at my house are the Mormon
missionaries and process servers. The others know how to come through the
garage or around to the back doors.

Steve

When I was about ten years old my father was working three jobs to keep
the family fed. Sunday morning was the only day he got to sleep in. It
was also the day that a Saturday sabbath sect would try to convert the
Sunday sabbath heretics. The first time they called my mother told them
never to return but that only raised their missionary fervor. The
second time my father promised they would regret it if they wakened him
again. When they still insisted that he should hear them out he
developed an oddly determined look. The next Saturday he got his boss
to let him off early and came home with a box of parts from his full
time employers scrap heap. He spent five hours running pipes in the
front porch overhead. When they rang the door bell the next morning the
solenoid valve opened and they were soaked by the cold water coming from
the newly installed fire sprinklers in the porch ceiling. When they
returned the next Sunday carrying umbrellas my father had already opened
the valve that supplied the cornice sprinklers in each corner of the
porch that pointed upward from floor level. My mother, having lost all
patience with these zealots had called the police when they had hove
into sight. Not only did they get soaked again but they had to have a
conversation with a harness bull who, like my mother, was Irish
Catholic. My siblings and I watched in fascination as that policeman
wrote each of them a citation for trespass. The next Sunday morning we
awoke to find part of the catholic high school football squad camped out
in cars in front of our house. I think my father was disappointed that
my mother had run the zealots off. I suspect that he had several more
Sundays worth of entertainment planned for us when my mother spoiled it
all by loosing her temper. She knew how hard my dad was working and
really got mad at these deluded folks. She had not noticed that my
father was having a good time outwitting them.
--
Tom Horne

When I first moved into this house in the country, I was plagued by
the JWs for several years. I learned that if you start to talk to
them, even just to say 'not interested' they ain't gonna leae without
a fight.

I thought I had fixed the problem the day I was woke up (working
graveyard). Sleep in the nekkidness so threw on a bathrobe to answer
the door...yep them again. Had a reasonable conversation going saying
I really wasn't interested etc when they suddenly left. Gee, could it
be that I was letting my robe gape open more and more?

No more heard from them for years then two years ago, there they were
again.

I saw the Watchtower sticking out of their briefcase as I oopened the
door. "I am not interested in your cult. Leave, NOW!"

Haven't seen them since.

Point is the only thing that works is outright rudeness.

Harry K