Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Door bell wired wrong

Your bell transformer is attached to the front hall fixture, but you're not
going to see the R&W low voltage wires in the fixture junction box as they
are on the "load" (16 volt) side of the transformer, which is probably
mounted to the outside of that lighting outlet box. It is possible that
there is a constant live feed in that outlet box and the bell transformer
was inadvertently connected to the switched leg instead

"Steve" wrote in message
ups.com...
We have a door bell that is wired in such a way that it won't work
unless the front entry way light is on??? The bell has a white and
red thin guage wire going into the wall and I can't find where the
wires go to? I have looked in the receptacle box for both the entry
way light switch and light fixture but the bell wires are not found in
either. I have also looked at the breaker box and surroundings but
still can't find any such wires??? Aren't these a low voltage type of
wires that go to a small transformer or something? I am only a novice
at house wiring but too cheap to call an electrician. Any help or
suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Steve