Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Default HAHA - FIXED IT MYSELF!!!!: Furnace blows but does not heat (intermittent problem)

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
ups.com...
You are one stupid SOB... I walked through the debri of what used
to be a Do it yourselfer home yesterday. 2 dead adults and 2 chldren.

So, providing a link to the where and when should not be a problem, right?

Let's see it.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

**** off, asshole

How about another round of sporge? Some people are slow learners.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

blueman wrote in
:

All works PERFECTLY now -- ran the furnace for about 2 hours straight
and didn't get a hiccup.

Congratulations. I, too, fixed my problem myself by replacing my stack
over temp switch, which several of the highly experienced HVAC
professionals here claimed they had never heard of.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 18:36:14 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Bubba" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 09:58:28 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"blueman" wrote
No thanks to some of the "pros" here, but I fixed the problem myself.

My programmable thermostat had a display on it to call a 800 number. It
wouldn't blow hot air from the gas roof unit.

I called the 800#. A nice tekkie came out. We went out on the roof, and
he
pulled a panel. He wiggled a wire, and the thing came on. He said,
"There's your problem. I can't fix it, but all you need to do is stick a
toothpick in there to make it move over for a tighter contact."

He also said it would be a good idea to put in a "smart valve" assembly,
and
showed me how to do it. A simple job of about an hour. He told me he has
seen countless toothpick fixes with the homeowner paying $100 for a
service
call.

I inserted said toothpick after he left. Well, long story short, the
toothpick is still working.

A smart valve is $100, and $400 installed. I think I will install it
myself
when the weather warms up a bit. Until then, it's fine.

There ARE some good hvac guys out there. Just not a lot. I think a lot
of
guys who flunk out of used car school become hvacs.

Steve

Yeah, right. Screw on a new gas valve and plug the wires back in. All
will be well??? Good thing you know about gas pressures, temp rise and
CO levels. No problem there. You're a genius.
Bubba

Smart enough to change a smart valve. It ain't rocket surgery. Even a
hvac man could do it.

Steve

**** off.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
CJT CJT is offline

Steve B wrote:
"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
ups.com...

You are one stupid SOB... I walked through the debri of what used
to be a Do it yourselfer home yesterday. 2 dead adults and 2 chldren.

So, providing a link to the where and when should not be a problem, right?

Let's see it.

Steve

Don't hold your breath waiting.

If there was an incident, I'd be willing to bet it was a "professional"
installation.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

wrote in
:

wrote:

"blueman" wrote
No thanks to some of the "pros" here, but I fixed the problem
myself.

My programmable thermostat had a display on it to call a 800 number.
It wouldn't blow hot air from the gas roof unit.

I called the 800#. A nice tekkie came out. We went out on the roof,
and he pulled a panel. He wiggled a wire, and the thing came on. He
said, "There's your problem. I can't fix it, but all you need to do
is stick a toothpick in there to make it move over for a tighter
contact."

Wow, what a ****ing pro.

He couldn't figure out how to stip back another inch of wire
and double it over ?

Okay, now I'm confused. When we call the highly experienced HVAC
professional to our home, are we supposed to do what he says or argue with
him?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
CJT CJT is offline

Pinko Flaggo wrote:

blueman wrote in
:

All works PERFECTLY now -- ran the furnace for about 2 hours straight
and didn't get a hiccup.

Congratulations. I, too, fixed my problem myself by replacing my stack
over temp switch, which several of the highly experienced HVAC
professionals here claimed they had never heard of.

I think I remember those exchanges.

Good for you for fixing without the need for "professional" help.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Bob_Loblaw" wrote in
:

CJT wrote

Speaking of gas, the "professional" who installed our gas range had
to do it three times before he got it right. I think there are a lot
of DIYers who could do better.

Let me guess...you got your phone book and called around for the
cheapest quote....serves you right....you'll respond and deny this, of
course, but we've seen it all before...

Okay, I'm starting to get it now. Not only are we supposed to call in a
highly experienced HVAC professional, we're supposed to shop around for the
highest bidder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 21:36:42 -0600, Pinko Flaggo
wrote:

wrote in
:

wrote:

"blueman" wrote
No thanks to some of the "pros" here, but I fixed the problem
myself.

My programmable thermostat had a display on it to call a 800 number.
It wouldn't blow hot air from the gas roof unit.

I called the 800#. A nice tekkie came out. We went out on the roof,
and he pulled a panel. He wiggled a wire, and the thing came on. He
said, "There's your problem. I can't fix it, but all you need to do
is stick a toothpick in there to make it move over for a tighter
contact."

Wow, what a ****ing pro.

He couldn't figure out how to stip back another inch of wire
and double it over ?

Okay, now I'm confused. When we call the highly experienced HVAC
professional to our home, are we supposed to do what he says or argue with
him?

If he told you to stick a toothpick in it, he wasn't a pro.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 21:39:01 -0600, Pinko Flaggo
wrote:

"Bob_Loblaw" wrote in
:

CJT wrote

Speaking of gas, the "professional" who installed our gas range had
to do it three times before he got it right. I think there are a lot
of DIYers who could do better.

Let me guess...you got your phone book and called around for the
cheapest quote....serves you right....you'll respond and deny this, of
course, but we've seen it all before...

Okay, I'm starting to get it now. Not only are we supposed to call in a
highly experienced HVAC professional, we're supposed to shop around for the
highest bidder.

Go away.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
If he told you to stick a toothpick in it, he wasn't a pro.

No, a pro would have told him to f**k off instead eh? Do you not see how
laughable you are in this thread? Give up , pour yourself another drink,
and write down a few "clever" memarks to use tomorrow.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Pinko Flaggo writes:
"Bob_Loblaw" wrote in
:

CJT wrote

Speaking of gas, the "professional" who installed our gas range had
to do it three times before he got it right. I think there are a lot
of DIYers who could do better.

Let me guess...you got your phone book and called around for the
cheapest quote....serves you right....you'll respond and deny this, of
course, but we've seen it all before...

Okay, I'm starting to get it now. Not only are we supposed to call in a
highly experienced HVAC professional, we're supposed to shop around for the
highest bidder.

No wonder the "pros" here have so much time on their hands -- they
fail to understand that the combination of incompetence, rudeness, and
high pricing doesn't really make for a thriving business.

It amazes me how pathetic it is that these so-called professionals
feel so threatened by a couple of homeowners that they waste there
supposedly rare free time ranting and raving like a bunch of
elementary school kids. But then again most of them probably don't
have much more than an elementary school level education...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom writes:

wrote in
If he told you to stick a toothpick in it, he wasn't a pro.

No, a pro would have told him to f**k off instead eh? Do you not see how
laughable you are in this thread? Give up , pour yourself another drink,
and write down a few "clever" memarks to use tomorrow.

Cheri

This newsgroup is more entertaining than reality TV... I don't think I
have seen so many losers since the last time my channel surfing landed
on Jerry Springer.

Seriously, I started out being more than happy to call in a tech if
the problem was beyond a simple DIY fix (see my original post, I say
that explicitly). Now, however, with a big renovation coming up
involving some extensive HVAC work, I am really concerned about the
quality and caliber of the potential HVAC subs.

Note to self -- I will have to make sure that the architect and
contractor set down extra-detailed specs and keep their eagle-eyes on
these low lifes -- my apologies of course to the true professionals in
the HVAC trade, but the losers on this newsgroup certainly are not a
credit to your trade. I even told our architect today that I would
like to hire a professional HVAC engineer to spec out the system
before putting it out to bid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

CJT writes:
wrote:

snip
Now profanity snipped go away.

You first.

I honestly have not seen any other trade newsgroup or bulletin board
behave in such a boorish and unprofessional manner... Maybe it's
breathing in all that CO and NG from "botched" homeowner repairs
that's killing their brain cells and reducing their already diminished
mental capacity.

But please keep up the entertainment... I especially love the guys
whose vocabulary is limited to 4 letter words and their derivatives...
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Pinko Flaggo" wrote in message
.. .
| blueman wrote in
| :
|
| All works PERFECTLY now -- ran the furnace for about 2 hours straight
| and didn't get a hiccup.
|
| Congratulations. I, too, fixed my problem myself by replacing my stack
| over temp switch, which several of the highly experienced HVAC
| professionals here claimed they had never heard of.

What was wrong with it? and why did it fail?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
ups.com...

"With a little research, one can easily become familiar with any system, and
with a few successes, competent to perform at least rudimentary repairs."

You really are a clueless fool, and that's why you come here looking for
answers? because you already know the answer, right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 04:16:16 GMT, blueman wrote:

Pinko Flaggo writes:
"Bob_Loblaw" wrote in
:

**** off, bitch

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 15:45:53 +1100, "Justin" \ wrote:

"Pinko Flaggo" wrote in message
. ..
| blueman wrote in
| :
|
| All works PERFECTLY now -- ran the furnace for about 2 hours straight
| and didn't get a hiccup.
|
| Congratulations. I, too, fixed my problem myself by replacing my stack
| over temp switch, which several of the highly experienced HVAC
| professionals here claimed they had never heard of.

What was wrong with it? and why did it fail?

Go away

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 04:16:16 GMT, blueman wrote:

Pinko Flaggo writes:
"Bob_Loblaw" wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks for proving my point
Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:
On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 04:16:16 GMT, blueman wrote:

Pinko Flaggo writes:
"Bob_Loblaw" wrote in
:

[...]

ROFL-LMAO - I must really be ****ing you off...
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"CJT" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
ups.com...

You are one stupid SOB... I walked through the debri of what used
to be a Do it yourselfer home yesterday. 2 dead adults and 2 chldren.

So, providing a link to the where and when should not be a problem,
right?

Let's see it.

Steve

Don't hold your breath waiting.

If there was an incident, I'd be willing to bet it was a "professional"
installation.

No matter. IF it was a fatality, and IF this is a true story, there will be
a record somewhere that is easy to cite.

IF being the keyword.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

**** off, asshole

How about another round of sporge? Some people are slow learners.

Talking to yourself again?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

wrote:

"blueman" wrote
No thanks to some of the "pros" here, but I fixed the problem
myself.

My programmable thermostat had a display on it to call a 800 number.
It wouldn't blow hot air from the gas roof unit.

I called the 800#. A nice tekkie came out. We went out on the roof,
and he pulled a panel. He wiggled a wire, and the thing came on. He
said, "There's your problem. I can't fix it, but all you need to do
is stick a toothpick in there to make it move over for a tighter
contact."

Wow, what a ****ing pro.

He couldn't figure out how to stip back another inch of wire
and double it over ?

Okay, now I'm confused. When we call the highly experienced HVAC
professional to our home, are we supposed to do what he says or argue with
him?

Therein is the confusion. Some are professionals who you can trust in
anything they say is wrong, and anything they say you need to do to fix your
system. It is just that the intellectual pool is so corrupted with people
who couldn't flip burgers without extensive training that are diluting the
median intelligence.

Key is to find a good hvac guy and keep him. It's like having a doctor.
You go and ask what's wrong. If you have a good one, you come off okay. If
you have a moron, you have a disastrous long term drama. It takes a long
time to know if you have a competent professional or a moron, and a lot can
happen in the meantime.'

As with doctors, hvac techs are governed loosely by "laws" and they can
seriously **** up and cost you a lot of money and overcharge you a lot and
just do shamefully shoddy work with no fear of punishment. So, the good
ones and the bad ones keep on keeping on and doing their things.

If you are a long term resident in your community, it is easier to get
references on long time craftsmen and lessen your experience with morons.
If you are new, it's a trial and error luck versus vulnerability situation.

AND, calling a long time established company in no way guarantees that you
will get a qualified tekkie to take care of you. The original founder may
be living in style in Maui or Malibu and enjoying the gouging practices of
all his lackeys to support his lifestyle and not give one whit that people
are being abused.

So, the answer is yes, no, maybe, and definitely.

Steve

PS: Finding someone you trust, who will level with you, and who will be
honest is one of the best solutions, although not the most common.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message
. ..

wrote in
If he told you to stick a toothpick in it, he wasn't a pro.

No, a pro would have told him to f**k off instead eh? Do you not see how
laughable you are in this thread? Give up , pour yourself another drink,
and write down a few "clever" memarks to use tomorrow.

Cheri

My toothpick repair is still working, and I go tomorrow to buy a smart
valve, which I shall replace according to his instructions, saving myself
$300 to $400 in labor.

Which is cheap. In my prime, I charged $850 per hour for my services.

Steve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pinko Flaggo" wrote

Okay, I'm starting to get it now. Not only are we supposed to call in a
highly experienced HVAC professional, we're supposed to shop around for
the
highest bidder.

Nothing means nothing. I went up into the attic yesterday to reroute some
LAN cables from my router to computers in various rooms in my house.

In the process, I handed down to my wife about 25 feet of ducting that was
left from the previous remodel. Dead and discarded ducting that the workers
were simply too lazy to hand down to ground hands for disposal. I used four
rolls of metal sided tape to seal air leaks in the ductwork that the
previous "professionals" were incapable of wrapping around pipes. Yeah,
putting tape on gaps is tough, even for trained professionals. I opened up
and rounded out several areas where they had crushed ductwork by crawling
over it, and not putting it back to at least some form of round.

All this done by hvac "professionals" who were paid top dollar.

This happened before my appearance on the scene, or I would have not paid
them until they had done the job and done it correctly. We get into all
this discussion, but when a sixth grader can look at a pipe and see it has a
big hole in it, there is some indication that there is something obviously
wrong with this picture.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"blueman" wrote in message
Pinko Flaggo writes:
"Bob_Loblaw" wrote in
:

[...]

All you need to do is go up into the attic and inspect their work.
Misaligned ducts. Untapped joints. Hot and cold air blowing out of gaps
that would take a small amount of tape to seal.

Shameful. And particularly shameful when they claim to be professionals and
knowing so much.

If a guy can't see there's an inch gap in a duct, and goes on with his work,
he's a true idiot, an unprofessional, or someone who TRULY doesn't give a
****.

STeve

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Steve B wrote:
"CJT" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
ups.com...

You are one stupid SOB... I walked through the debri of what used
to be a Do it yourselfer home yesterday. 2 dead adults and 2 chldren.

So, providing a link to the where and when should not be a problem,
right?

Subscribe to the Colton Independent asshole! Its not on net.. The
Explosion was a Farmer install of a propane furnace that was vastly
oversized. Nothing was to safety standards. Appears the limit was
jumpered out one thing.

Let's see it.

Steve

Don't hold your breath waiting.

Do hold your breath ****head.. And why are you here anyway?
You don't like us so either meet me head on or shut the **** up.
I work for a living and really don't have a lot of time for coksukers
like you!

If there was an incident, I'd be willing to bet it was a "professional"
installation.

Put your money where your mouth is! I will take that bet!

No matter. IF it was a fatality, and IF this is a true story, there will be
a record somewhere that is easy to cite.

IF being the keyword.

Check with Farmers insurance group...Thats who paid me for
an analysis of the equipment type after the Fire Investigations team
from Minneapolis had finished. It is after all a very rural area. But
there are licensed HVAC people in the area. The Hardware store ordered
the furnace for them.. We had another one over by Humboldt last year..
Same kind of instal etc.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"blueman" wrote in message
Pinko Flaggo writes:
"Bob_Loblaw" wrote in
:

[...]

Since you apparently have nothing better to do with your life than to spend
countless hours in harrassing those engaged within the hvac tirade ( whom
deserve a living wage every bit as much as any other ****ing
joe-sixpac)......

Then suggest go step in front of the next bus or train that happens to pass
by.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 03:38:16 GMT, CJT wrote:

Pinko Flaggo wrote:

blueman wrote in
:

All works PERFECTLY now -- ran the furnace for about 2 hours straight
and didn't get a hiccup.

Congratulations. I, too, fixed my problem myself by replacing my stack
over temp switch, which several of the highly experienced HVAC
professionals here claimed they had never heard of.

I think I remember those exchanges.

Good for you for fixing without the need for "professional" help.

**** off

Very professional, Paul. It's easy to see why you're unemployed.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote in message ...
My toothpick repair is still working, and I go tomorrow to buy a smart
valve, which I shall replace according to his instructions, saving

myself
$300 to $400 in labor.

Which is cheap. In my prime, I charged $850 per hour for my services.

Steve.

Good for you Steve. I think it's always good when a homeowner can do
their own repairs. It saves a lot of grief IMO.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

blueman wrote in message ...

Note to self -- I will have to make sure that the architect and
contractor set down extra-detailed specs and keep their eagle-eyes on
these low lifes -- my apologies of course to the true professionals in
the HVAC trade, but the losers on this newsgroup certainly are not a
credit to your trade. I even told our architect today that I would
like to hire a professional HVAC engineer to spec out the system
before putting it out to bid.

I did see your original post, very nicely asked, and the nastiness that
came back at you. I don't think the people involved with all the name
calling and belittling are professionals at all, and I'm sure there are
many more true professionals than that bunch. Good luck on your
renovations, and may all your techs be good ones.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

blueman wrote in message ...

writes:
**** off, bitch

ROFL-LMAO - I must really be ****ing you off...

LOL as well. Now that we've had all the obscene words several times, how
far behind can "you meet me and I'll kick your a** be from these
"professionals"? What a joke.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
ups.com...

You are one stupid SOB... I walked through the debri of what used
to be a Do it yourselfer home yesterday. 2 dead adults and 2 chldren.

So, providing a link to the where and when should not be a problem,
right?

Let's see it.

Steve
Don't hold your breath waiting.

If there was an incident, I'd be willing to bet it was a "professional"
installation.

No matter. IF it was a fatality, and IF this is a true story, there will
be
a record somewhere that is easy to cite.

IF being the keyword.

Steve

**** off.

Isn't that supposed to have a www. in front of it? When I enter that site,
I get nothing.

STeve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote in message ...
My toothpick repair is still working, and I go tomorrow to buy a smart
valve, which I shall replace according to his instructions, saving

myself
$300 to $400 in labor.

Which is cheap. In my prime, I charged $850 per hour for my services.

Steve.

Good for you Steve. I think it's always good when a homeowner can do
their own repairs. It saves a lot of grief IMO.

Cheri

I fixed my oven for $62, and the oven guy wanted $350.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Blueballs,
Again you are clueless as usual. We have time in here because we know
how to charge enough to have a thriving business and still have lots
of free time. I guess you cant figure that out so you work FOR someone
and dont have any free time.
So how is that burger flippin job going for you Smurf boy?
Bubba

Wow. You repair furnaces for a living? You must be rich.