HvacTech2

Hi remove, hope you are having a nice day

On 24-Dec-04 At About 08:09:04, remove this wrote to All
Subject: Intermittent problem with furnace

rt From: "RBM" rmottola1(remove

rt Shirley, your second post would indicate a bad thermostat. There
rt should only be two wires attached to the thermostat, if you remove
rt them and touch them together, the burner should fire. When you pull
rt them apart, the burner should stop(however the fan can continue
rt to run). If this is what's happening its either the thermostat
rt or a connection on the thermostat.

Check my other post about hard lockouts.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... "If you can't hear me it's because I'm in parentheses." - s.w.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

Default Intermittent problem with furnace

My son has a Bryant furnace about 10 years old. Within the past 2
weeks started having an intermittent problem. The furnace doesn't
always recycle on after being off. He's replaced both the thermostat
(Honeywell) and now the igniter. Sometimes it comes back on like it is
suppose to, other times (especially at night), it doesn't. When it
doesn't come on, there is nothing -- no blower, no flame, nothing.

Any suggestions.

He recently had a new baby so money is tight.

Shirley

I just want to add one additional item. When the furnace does not
come on when it should, just shutting the thermostat off and then
turning it back on, will start the furnace.
Thanks for any advice.

Shirley

Ida Smacktem

wrote
My son has a Bryant furnace about 10 years old. Within the past 2
weeks started having an intermittent problem. The furnace doesn't
always recycle on after being off. He's replaced both the thermostat
(Honeywell) and now the igniter. Sometimes it comes back on like it is
suppose to, other times (especially at night), it doesn't. When it
doesn't come on, there is nothing -- no blower, no flame, nothing.

Any suggestions.

He recently had a new baby so money is tight.

Shirley

You wanted any suggestions, though you probably won't like this one.

Anyone who would have kids without being able to afford heat, should be
sterilized. Good grief mom, he isn't a kid any longer. Let him grow up
without holding onto your apron strings.

Had he took the money he paid for a thermostat and the igniter, he could've
put it towards a service call. First he has to learn how to be sensible b/4
he tries to work on a piece of equipment.

PoCambo

From: shir

I just want to add one additional item. When the furnace does not
come on when it should, just shutting the thermostat off and then
turning it back on, will start the furnace.
Thanks for any advice.

Sounds like the thermostat aint set right or you got a wiring problem maybe a
short or even a loose screw somewhere.
RBM

Shirley, your second post would indicate a bad thermostat. There should only
be two wires attached to the thermostat, if you remove them and touch them
together, the burner should fire. When you pull them apart, the burner
should stop(however the fan can continue to run). If this is what's
happening its either the thermostat or a connection on the
wrote in message
ups.com...
I just want to add one additional item. When the furnace does not
come on when it should, just shutting the thermostat off and then
turning it back on, will start the furnace.
Thanks for any advice.

Shirley

m Ransley

Sounds like Troll Foood

Pop

Ida Smacktem wrote:
wrote
[...]

And you should look into new brain cells, you narcisstic,
flatulent, myopic bass turd.

Pop

Boy, youj've drawn them out of the woodwork tonight, haven't you?
I haven't seen so much ignorance on here in a long time.

Thermostat and igniter; good, but what specifically do you mean
by the "igniter"?

Assuming it's not a mercury thermostat, does it "click" when
you move it up and down? It should make a click sound at the
point where the heat would turn on or off. It's usually a
pretty quiet sound.

Beyond that, the possibilities range from the little ckt board
the thermostat wires connect to, all the way to the electodes
gap, oil filter, nozzle, and ice/water in the lines. You don't
say where you are, but it could also be frozen fuel in the tank
or a low tank with water/sludge in the bottom to a borderline 24V
transformer, all reacting to the change in heat/cold. Those are
the extremes of course, but I mention them to indicate that it's
not really a job for someone not familiar with how a furnace
works.
Any firends or relatives with experience who could look at it?
How about where you buy your fuel oil? Money's tight, I know,
but if the house freezes, then there are a lot of other things
can be damaged if you're in a cold clime, so try to get him to
bite the bullet and call for help, then come over to your place
to be warm for awhile until they get there.

Pop

wrote:
My son has a Bryant furnace about 10 years old. Within the
past 2
weeks started having an intermittent problem. The furnace
doesn't
always recycle on after being off. He's replaced both the
thermostat
(Honeywell) and now the igniter. Sometimes it comes back on
like it
is suppose to, other times (especially at night), it doesn't.
When
it doesn't come on, there is nothing -- no blower, no flame,
nothing.

Any suggestions.

He recently had a new baby so money is tight.

Shirley

Tekkie

HvacTech2 posted for all of us....=20

=20
=20
Hi remove, hope you are having a nice day
=20
On 24-Dec-04 At About 08:09:04, remove this wrote to All
=20
rt From: "RBM" rmottola1(remove
=20
rt Shirley, your second post would indicate a bad thermostat. There
rt should only be two wires attached to the thermostat, if you remove
rt them and touch them together, the burner should fire. When you pull
rt them apart, the burner should stop(however the fan can continue
rt to run). If this is what's happening its either the thermostat
rt or a connection on the thermostat.
=20
Check my other post about hard lockouts.
=20
-=3D HvacTech2 =3D-
=20
=20
.. "If you can't hear me it's because I'm in parentheses." - s.w. =

=20
=20
___ TagDude 0.92=E1+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
=20

Well, you can lead them to water but you can't make them drink. HV
--=20
Tekkie

Art

On the door of the furnace there may be some diagnostic instructions. Some
have LED's which blink to explain the problem. COuld also be in the manual
that came with the furnace.

wrote in message
ups.com...
My son has a Bryant furnace about 10 years old. Within the past 2
weeks started having an intermittent problem. The furnace doesn't
always recycle on after being off. He's replaced both the thermostat
(Honeywell) and now the igniter. Sometimes it comes back on like it is
suppose to, other times (especially at night), it doesn't. When it
doesn't come on, there is nothing -- no blower, no flame, nothing.

Any suggestions.

He recently had a new baby so money is tight.

Shirley

Bubba

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:14:30 -0600, (m Ransley)
wrote:

Sounds like Troll Foood

Hungry?
Bubba
TURTLE

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
My son has a Bryant furnace about 10 years old. Within the past 2
weeks started having an intermittent problem. The furnace doesn't
always recycle on after being off. He's replaced both the thermostat
(Honeywell) and now the igniter. Sometimes it comes back on like it

is
suppose to, other times (especially at night), it doesn't. When it
doesn't come on, there is nothing -- no blower, no flame, nothing.

Any suggestions.

He recently had a new baby so money is tight.

Shirley

Thanks to most who have tried to answer my question.

I should mention this is a gas furnace. Maybe I'm not using the right
terminology -- with igniter. This furnace does not have a pilot light.
It has electronic ignition that starts the furnace when needed.

I guess I don't quite understand some of the answers I received -- like
where does he get his fuel? It's all natural gas.
Merry Christmas.

Shirley

This is Turtle.

Shirley , There is times when thing become out of your control and your going to
have to call someone in that knows about a problem that is hard to determine by
the home owner. Now this time has arose right now. You have a Hard Lock out like
HvacTech2 said , you need to add a isolation relay in the 24 volt circuit , or
you have a air flow restriction problem. The first 2 will have to be done with a
HVAC service company but the third one came be done by you. Check the air filter
to see that it is clean and them check all the discharge register in each room
to see that they are all open to let the air out. If you have a dirty filter or
too many registers closed off. The furnace will hard lock out on longer runs at
nite when it gets colder. Now i can go into the chgecking the temperature rise
but I feel my words would be waisted unless you really knew something about the
system to tell what it was.

So Check the filter and the discharge register in each room for being too many
closed off and if ok. Bit the Bullet and call a hvac service company to come see
about the hard lock out problem or needing a isolation relay put in there.

TURTLE

TURTLE

t...

--
Tekkie

This is Turtle.

I think if I can remember right that In the home owner manual for home repair
somewhere's that it says to change the all the roll out switches & shut downs,
thermostat, ignitor, gas valve, and blower motor before you call a hvac service
company. Then you leave the hard stuff like a plugged up filter for the hvac
service company.

TURTLE

Gary R. Lloyd

On 24 Dec 2004 20:23:48 -0800, wrote:

wrote:
[...]

There are several things that can cause a hard lockout. Here are a
couple easy ones:

Change the air filter. If the furnace doesn't get enough airflow it
can overheat and lockout.

On the opposite side of the burner from the ignitor is a flame sensor.
This is a ceramic/steel rod. The flame hits the steel portion and this
tells the control board that the burner is working. If it fails to
"see" the flame after three attempts at ignition, it will lockout.
Remove the flame sensor and clean the steel portion with steel wool.

If these don't do it, call someone.

Hmmmmm... why does everyone change the thermostat first? That's like
replacing the switch if a light doesn't work. It's the least likely
problem.

Gary R. Lloyd CMS
HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software
Written by a veteran Service Technician