Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Lei

Default intermittent problem with Frigidaire Refrigerator

I have a 7 year old Frigidaire refrigerator (Model FPES-19TF,
Frost-Proof, Refrigerator-Freezer, 18.6 cu ft) that acts up once in a
while. The first time was about 2 years ago. It simply stopped working.
It was quiet, no humming sound of the compressor. The power supply was
fine, because the light was on. I removed all the stuff in the
refrigerator, unplugged the power, played with the nobs and switches
for a while. Nothing happened. I left the door open for half a day,
thinking where I should buy a new one. When I came back, plugged in the
power, and it started to hum again. It worked as nothing happend for
another 6-7 monthes, and acted up again. I was more experienced this
time. I did the same things, empty the refrig, played with buttons and
nobs, waited for half a day. It worked again. The last act happened
last week. It did not hum, but if I put my ear on the box, I could hear
a weak rhythmic sound when the power was on. I tried the same old
tricks, but the refrig did not revive after a day. All my food started
to go bad, and I thought it was finally the time to get a new one.
Then, just as I was about to go out shopping, I gave it the last try,
and it worked again!
Can anyone tell me what was the problem, is it something I can fix
myself, or when is the time to say enough? I don't want to waste money
when the thing is still working, but when it becomes unreliable for
unknown reasons, it makes me uneasy. I am afraid that some day, when I
come back from a long journey, I may find a boxful of rotten food.
Many thanks!
Lei

Mike

My new Frigidaire didn't work right out of the box (just the icemaker
auger). After my purchase, I checked Consumer Reports. I found out
that Frigidaire (owned by Electrolux) has a history of repair problems
with their side-by-side fridges. I think they rated 3rd from the
bottom. Should have consulted the magazine before my purchase but the
price was right and it was the biggest fridge the store had. I have a
19 yr old whirlpool that is still going strong although too small and
has an annoying compressor rattle I haven't been able to locate. I use
that in the garage as my beer and extras fridge. This is the one time I
have strayed from CR on my purchases and I got burned the first time.
Never again.
I would call a repair man (i assume you are out of warranty?) and suck
it up. I'd rather pay $200 to fix it than $1500 for a new one. If you
do buy a new one check CR first! This months issue has fridges in it I
think.