Brad Petria

Default RCA TV CTC203U5 Intermittent Problem

Hi,

I have an RCA F19424, CTC203U5 (19" pic) in my shop. The set
had a black screen (no HV) and sound was present. Customer said
picture would go black and he would hit the TV to bring it back. I
tried virbration, flexing PCB, probing parts, etc. but that had no effect. I
soldered several suspect joints (did'nt work). Turning TV on with a loop from
scope around FBT core did not show any FBT activity at the moment the TV was
turned on. 139V (B+) was present at H.O.T. collector. While I was away from
the bench, the picture came on! Reg B+ with picture is 130V. I did not have
a chance to check the horiz drive when the problem was active. Now,
the picture comes on ever time. Did you have a similar case?

Thanks in advance, Brad

Tip for your old computer (reduce discard pollution too):

If you can't sell your old computer, don't throw it away. Use it to backup
your software by transferring files/folders from your new computer or laptop
to it. I transferred my Windows folder and other stuff to my old computer
using "PC Link", which I downloaded from www.simtel.net (cool site).

http://www.simtel.net/pub/dl/52792.html (info or download)

Jason D.

Snip - no pix, good audio CTC203 type.

Thanks in advance, Brad

Remove L14401, clean up the hot glue on the legs of the coil and the
circuit board. Reinstall the coil. This should fix your problem.

Good Luck, CW

Yes this is right, I did post this several times before.

More specific: Remove L14401 coil, remove all glue including clearing
glue melted into that hole that L14401 lead goes through. Then "wipe"
the leads with fresh molten solder.

In futu If HOT is blown in any of CTC203 chassis, it is the L14401
bad connection caused by glue was the killer. If SMPS is blown easy
to do: Q14101, 02 and 03. R14107, maybe a fuse.

To give you how common this L14401 is, I did two yesterday, one of two
was a bouncer, (not done by me, somebody did this shortcut soldering.)
L14401 reworked before without this glue removal steps.

I lost count of CTC203 L14401 jobs. Over 20 1 year & 10 months.
First couple or three came back again then I learned that has to
remove glue completely is vital.

Cheers,

Wizard