Barry Criner

Default Sears air compressor starting problem

Does the compressor make a hissing sound when it shuts off at high
pressure? If not then the unloader valve on the pressure switch is bad.
My son has a PC pancake compressor that was not restarting after
shutting off even though the unloader was working. The compressor was
plugged in a good distance from the breaker panel and the voltage drop
was too great to allow the compressor to get a good start. I solve the
problem by adding a T fitting in the line going from the compressor to
the tank and aconnected a piece of air hose capped on the end to the
line. The extra volume allows the compressor to build up the pressure
in the line before overcoming the check valve spring. Works fine. I've
seen this problem alot on construction sites where compressors are often
run using extension cords.

Chuck Jurgens wrote:

I have a 10 year old Sears air compressor (919.153131) that has ALWAYS
given me a problem. I've just been too lazy to try to fix it. When
there is pressure in the tank, the compressor will not start.

When there is no air pressure in the tank, the compressor will start
and work just fine. Then, when the upper air pressure is reached, the
compressor shuts off as normal. However, when the pressure in the
tank drops to the low set point, the switch kicks in and the
compressor motor tries to start - but nothing happens.

The motor hums and turns a couple of times but here just doesn't seem
to be enough power to make it run. Then, after just a few seconds,
the breaker will trip.

I am running it on a 15 amp breaker in my house and I have tried to
run it on 15 amp circuits at other houses - same problem. I am NOT
using an extension cord.

Any suggestions??

TIA

Chuck Jurgens