Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
DB DB is offline

Default Flip Kwikset to Schlage

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I guess you havn't used the new ones. The new ones with the one
piece external handle are just total undiluted garbage.

Yeah I have, and they are still better than kwikset.

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 20:46:03 -0500, "DB"
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:12:16 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:
It's becomign clear. You are a cheapskate and buying locks at
Home Cheepo

Why so cruel?

CY: Cause people like you don't hire people like me to come out
and do the work that I studied and trained to do.

Do you paint your own house? Clean your own house? Fix your own car? Wash
your own car? Do any of your own home reapirs? Mow your lawn? Unstop your
own tiolet or sinks? If the answer to any of the above is yes then you are
no different than the person you're whining at. There are people that do all
those things for profit. You are taking money out of their pocket, you cheap
greedy SOB.

I do some of those things. What's my money doing in their pockets in
the first place?
Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
It's becomign clear.

You are a cheapskate and buying locks at
Home Cheepo (And you bought the junky Tylos instead of the medium
grade ones or the Titans.)

When she could have bought the same junk from you after you bought it from
Home Depot and marked it up.

Since it wasn't costing you anything
but your time, you post a series of questions to Usenet. Asking
for us, for free, to teach you something that locksmiths all
across US do as part of their trade.

Why the hell do you think usenet is here?

Then, back to Home Cheepo, and engage three of their people for a
period of time. To get them to do what any good locksmith

That leaves you out.

would
have done simply, nearly effortlessly, and as part of his (her)
job.

I'm starting to understand why some of the tradesmen on other
lists say "call a locksmith (or tradesman as the case needs)"
instead of doing internet teaching for free.

You idiot that was the net advice of your very first post on this subject.

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:12:16 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:
It's becomign clear. You are a cheapskate and buying locks at
Home Cheepo

Why so cruel?
What's wrong with learning?

Stormy tries to learn as little as possible, and he is very successful at
it.

What's wrong with Home Depot?

Home Depot trainees make more than Stormy does and it ****es him off. Home
Depot is a successful company with stores all over America, Stormy is an
unsuccessful wannabe locksmith and HVAC tech with a store out of his house.
That ****es him off as well.

What's wrong with helping others on the usenet?

I saw scores of other people in Home Depot and here that knew as little as
I about locks. Are we all "cheapskates" just for shopping at Home Depot

and
asking questions on the usenet?

You should have hired stormy to do it. After he broke the kwikset, your
door, the frame and probably some other assorted stuff around your house
nobody could call you a cheapskate anymore with what you'd be paying to fix
it.

I don't even KNOW where a good place to buy home hardware is other than
Home Depot or OSH or Sears.

For locks a locksmith is your best bet, unless you want the cheap F line
stuff like kwikset etc. In general they won't match the box stores price on
it.

A door lock seems like a common enough
household item that Home Depot or OSH should stock the ones that you
suggest. Plus, based on this discussion, I was under the impression that I
could leave the door KNOB as a weak lock as long as the deadbolt was a
stronger lock.

None of the low grade locks you find at the local hardware store are all
that secure.

Are the Tylo deadbolts also succeptible to the cylinder removal puller?

No. Just the knob locks.

As per your suggestion, I'll go back to Home Depot and ask for the

"Titans"
but I don't remember seeing the name of the lock anywhere on the Kwikset
package. I think I'm stuck with Kwikset for now because of all my five

inch
latches.

Does anyone know if Home Depot sells the Kwikset Titans?

Yes in most places.

Especially the grade 2 or grade 1 deadbolts which I am banking my security
on?

If there is a grade 1 anything sold under the Titan name it's news to me.
Titan is a glorified kwikset.

If so, we ALL can go back to Home Depot to switch out our deadbolts
(although with a glass door, even with a deadbolt, I wonder how much it
really matters to have grade 1 locks).

Sandra

For normal residential use in a glass foor it doesn't matter that much. Get
an alarm and/or use security laminate on the glass so it takes them some
time to smash it.

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:12:16 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:
It's becomign clear. You are a cheapskate and buying locks at
Home Cheepo

Why so cruel?

CY: Cause people like you don't hire people like me to come out
and do the work that I studied and trained to do.

You studied? Trained? I didn't know they had classes in breaking things.

What's wrong with learning?

CY: You can apprentice like anyone else. Learning is good. But
expecting it for free is different.

WTF do you think Usenet exists?

What's wrong with Home Depot?

CY: They are my competition.

LMAO Saying they are your competition implies they know or care you exist.

What's wrong with helping others on the usenet?

CY: What's wrong with asking (for free) for the wisdom I worked
to learn?

Busting peoples stuff up and then charging them for it doesn't count as
'working'.

I saw scores of other people in Home Depot and here that knew

as little as
I about locks. Are we all "cheapskates" just for shopping at

Home Depot and
asking questions on the usenet?

CY: Yep. Compared to getting good service by hiring a pro.

'Pro' just means somebody who is paid. You are paid and have no clue what
the hell you are doing.

I don't even KNOW where a good place to buy home hardware is

other than
Home Depot or OSH or Sears.

CY: Hint: Open yellow pages. Look under L section. Look for
heading "Locksmith".

And what would you install? Yeah a kwikset since it's the only thing your
supplier (Home Depot) has you will buy since you were befuddled by the new
style Schlage.

A door lock seems like a common enough
household item that Home Depot or OSH should stock the ones

that you
suggest. Plus, based on this discussion, I was under the

impression that I
could leave the door KNOB as a weak lock as long as the

deadbolt was a
stronger lock.

Are the Tylo deadbolts also succeptible to the cylinder removal

puller?
CY: Well, your ignorance is showing again. I'm not going to tell
you why.

Asking a question is not ignorance. It's an attempt to avoid it. If you
asked some questions before trying some of the myriad of things you are
totally ignorant of how to do correctly you might get some repeat customers
and not have to nash your teeth over people buying the junk you sell from
Home Depot.

As per your suggestion, I'll go back to Home Depot and ask for

the "Titans"
but I don't remember seeing the name of the lock anywhere on

the Kwikset
package. I think I'm stuck with Kwikset for now because of all

my five inch
latches.

CY: Actually, my suggestion is to call a locksmith. You're being
a cheepskate, still.

One thing is for sure after you are done F'ing up there stuff and charging
them to do it none of your customers get off cheap.

Which doesn't surprise me, cause leopards
seldom change t heir spots.

Which is why you are still butchering AC's, Refrigerators, Furnaces,
Radiators and anything else to slow to get out of your way.

Does anyone know if Home Depot sells the Kwikset Titans?
Especially the grade 2 or grade 1 deadbolts which I am banking

my security
on?

CY: If you want security, call a locksmith.

LOL Like you who brags he has kwiksets on his own doors?

If so, we ALL can go back to Home Depot to switch out our

deadbolts
(although with a glass door, even with a deadbolt, I wonder how

much it
really matters to have grade 1 locks).

CY: Your local locksmith can answer qeustions.

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"'Key" wrote in message
I personally don't see what you're getting all worked up
about ?
this is "alt.locksmithing"
the guy wasn't asking defeating instructions.
also
home depot is not any locksmiths competition.

--
"Key"
========

It's Chris's competition. They sell locks and AC units and don't know
anything to speak of about either, just like him.

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
DB DB is offline

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
You can't pop the cylinder out with a screw driver. Takes a
special tool.

No it doesn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 13, 2007 at 9:03:37 PM UTC-10, wrote:
How do we flip a left-hand Kwikset lock so it works on a right-hand door?

I bought a set of Kwikset Security locks which advertise "Fits All Doors" &
"Easy Installation". The Kwikset lock package contained two left-hand keyed
knobs and two deadbolts.

The problem is there is NOTHING on the package that indicates the two keyed
knobs are set up for left-handed doors (those with the hinge on the left).
My outside doors are right-hand doors (they have the hinge on the right).

It's crazy to me that Kwikset doesn't even SAY on the package that all my
lock cylinders will be upside down unless I can figure out how to switch
the Kwikset lock from being a left-hand knob to a right-hand knob.

Do you know how?

I googled only to find a very tough to follow description of the lock knob
keyhole reversing procedure sans pictures at
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=227800

Is there a PHOTOGRAPH or DIAGRAM of how to reverse a quickset lock that is
set up for a left-hand door to have the keyhole right-side up for a
right-hand door?

The instructions have room for Spanish, English, and French, but no room to
tell us how to install the lock such that the keyhole is right-side up.

Is the procedure to flip the Kwikset keyhole documented (with pictures)?

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

HD will flip it for you if you ask them. But you need to get one of the more experienced workers.