Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Steve Steve is offline

Default Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:12:16 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:
It's becomign clear. You are a cheapskate and buying locks at
Home Cheepo

Why so cruel?
What's wrong with learning?

Stormy tries to learn as little as possible, and he is very successful at
it.

What's wrong with Home Depot?

Home Depot trainees make more than Stormy does and it ****es him off. Home
Depot is a successful company with stores all over America, Stormy is an
unsuccessful wannabe locksmith and HVAC tech with a store out of his house.
That ****es him off as well.

What's wrong with helping others on the usenet?

I saw scores of other people in Home Depot and here that knew as little as
I about locks. Are we all "cheapskates" just for shopping at Home Depot

and
asking questions on the usenet?

You should have hired stormy to do it. After he broke the kwikset, your
door, the frame and probably some other assorted stuff around your house
nobody could call you a cheapskate anymore with what you'd be paying to fix
it.

I don't even KNOW where a good place to buy home hardware is other than
Home Depot or OSH or Sears.

For locks a locksmith is your best bet, unless you want the cheap F line
stuff like kwikset etc. In general they won't match the box stores price on
it.

A door lock seems like a common enough
household item that Home Depot or OSH should stock the ones that you
suggest. Plus, based on this discussion, I was under the impression that I
could leave the door KNOB as a weak lock as long as the deadbolt was a
stronger lock.

None of the low grade locks you find at the local hardware store are all
that secure.

Are the Tylo deadbolts also succeptible to the cylinder removal puller?

No. Just the knob locks.

As per your suggestion, I'll go back to Home Depot and ask for the

"Titans"
but I don't remember seeing the name of the lock anywhere on the Kwikset
package. I think I'm stuck with Kwikset for now because of all my five

inch
latches.

Does anyone know if Home Depot sells the Kwikset Titans?

Yes in most places.

Especially the grade 2 or grade 1 deadbolts which I am banking my security
on?

If there is a grade 1 anything sold under the Titan name it's news to me.
Titan is a glorified kwikset.

If so, we ALL can go back to Home Depot to switch out our deadbolts
(although with a glass door, even with a deadbolt, I wonder how much it
really matters to have grade 1 locks).

Sandra

For normal residential use in a glass foor it doesn't matter that much. Get
an alarm and/or use security laminate on the glass so it takes them some
time to smash it.