Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

In article , " wrote:

Now I'm REALLY confused.

If we don't need to pull the Kwikset lock cylinder, then why are all the
OTHER posts showing pictures of a cylinder removal tool in order to rotate
the configuration from a left hand to a right hand lock?

I've never seen a deadbolt lock where installing it on either a right-hung or
a left-hung door depended on removing the lock cylinder.

Please clarify if you can! Thanks!

A deadbolt lock has three main sections: the outdoor part (which contains the
lock cylinder), the indoor part (which has a knob for throwing the bolt), and
the deadbolt mechanism.

Remove the screws that hold the indoor part and the outdoor part together. Now
slide the indoor part and the outdoor part away from the deadbolt mechanism.
Put the indoor part where the outdoor part was, and the outdoor part where the
indoor part was. Put the screws back in.

Done.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

You're spending far too much time on this. Are you anywhere near Seal
Beach, CA?

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 14:02:28 -0600, DanG wrote:
Proper lock installation / orientation has the bitting on the keys
up when you insert the key. This has to do with dust, dirt, and
debris not getting in the pin holes as much.

Thank you DanG for the analysis of why it's best to have the bitting
(teeth) up on the key.

I never knew why, but I never saw any professional install a lock any other
way. It's sort of like installing a three-pronged USA electrical outlet
upside down. The lock will still work but from a professional and esthetic
and functional standpoint, it's subpar to install a left-hand lock knob on
a right hand door.

Thank you for explaining why!
Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 20:35:01 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:
I've never seen a deadbolt lock where installing it on either a right-hung or
a left-hung door depended on removing the lock cylinder.

My problem isn't with the deadbolt, it's with the entry lock knob.

Are you saying one can switch a Kwikset entry knob from a left-hand
configuration to a right-hand lock setup WITHOUT removing the lock
cylinder?
Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:16:25 GMT, Ralph wrote:
Are you anywhere near Seal Beach, CA?

Nope. I'm in the "colder" California. We actually had ice in the standing
water outside this morning. The kids went crazy over it, even as they were
outside with shorts on.

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Here's the way I do it.
No pickle fork
No puller

No ****

Press on the little hidden thingy and wiggle the knob thingy till you
can get the shaft to drop.
Take the shaft and turn it upside down and put it down inside so it is
right on the end of the cylinder thingy.
Make sure there is room for the pop-out thingy to come out-hold the
key-knob thingy by the stem.
Now hit the other end of the shaft with a small ball-pien hammer-
Or invert the whole thingy, holding the shaft lightly and gently slam
it on a good hard surface.
POP.
Now you can reverse the cylinder thingy and put it back in so the
keyway will be right side up-or pins up.

All you have to do when you put it back together is nake sure the
little metal springy thingies are bent back to their original shape so
that they lock in good..

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Thought if you were closer I could show you how to do this.

Anyway. First time I tried to turn a kwikset keyway right-side up was
quite a learning experience. Can practically do it in my sleep now but
don't usually do much with Kwikset. Anyway, not a big thing to install the
lock with pins down for a while, anyway. Go ahead and do it. Gotta
think, though, that there is a good samaritan up your way that will guide
you through the process of changing the keyway. Go back to where you
bought it and ask. You might get lucky.

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Those five inch latches are not a common part. I've used maybe
one of them in the 21 years I've been a locksmith. I still have
one or two around some where, probably out in the service van.

Yes, replace the latch and put the old lock back is a valid thing
to do. Someday perhaps you can get the cylinders inverted.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 08:39:06 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Ah, now we get some more information. You bought the locks at
Home Depot. Well, that makes you a frugal home owner. If you

were
interested in having it done, you could likely find a

locksmith

Hi there Stormin Mormom,
I do appreciate your expert advice.

The old lock jammed probably because the old five-inch long

entry latch
bent inside somewhere.

So, just before Home Depot closed for the evening, I stopped

by, asked for
help, and picked up a four-lock set (two deadbolts and two

entry lock
knobs) for about fifty dollars. I figured it would take all of

a half hour
to replace something as "simple" as a lock (I know.... I know

.... it wasn't
so simple in the end but I didn't know that so it didn't play

into my
decision tree).

To be frank, I could have bought just one lock or even just one

five-inch
latch. The main reason I didn't buy just the latch is that I

didn't know
what else would break so I wanted to replace the whole

configuration. The
main reason I bought four locks instead of just one is I wanted

to do a
good job by replacing them all, instead of just repairing the

one broken
entry lock. I want one key for the whole house (including

deadbolts and
entry knobs).

I started the job by nightfall assuming it would be done before

dinner and
as you can tell, it was midnight before I finally gave up for

the night.

I guess I COULD have called a locksmith to install the four

locks, but
they'd have to get here before midnight to do me any good.

Again, since I
erroneously believed the "fits all doors" and "easy

installation" claims of
the package, I erred by not realizing that it didn't fit all

doors (not
without removing the cylinder) and the installation

instructions were
silent on this key task!

In the end, I simply installed a new five-inch latch and put

the old lock
back on. It's not as good a job, but I will have to get the

right tool
first.

Thank you for your expert advice.

My intention was to replace the lock and deadbolt on the

outside door

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

You can't pop the cylinder out with a screw driver. Takes a
special tool.

I have no way to know what parts your local store stocks.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 08:35:57 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:
You're missing that Kwikset sells a very simple tool for
reversing the cylinders. And you're also missing that some

folks
work at locksmith shops and learn from other locksmiths.

Hi Stormin Mormom,

Thank you for your advice. I will try to buy the one-dollar
cylinder-reversing tool that is described at

http://tinyurl.com/yzhu5d

Following those instructions, I was easily able to pop out the

center shaft
but I was unable, with a screwdriver, to pop out the cylinder.

I assume I can pick up the cylinder removal tool at a local

hardware store?

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Schlage F-line. No tools needed to install lock upside down or
right side up.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message

Which lock manufacturer do you suggest we consider for ease of

flipping
from a left hand configuration to a right hand configuration?

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Wrong. If you want the keyhole right side up, Kwiksets are
handed. Right or left.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
On all of them I've dealt with, you just separate the lockset

into
the three main pieces, install the plunger/latch into the edge

of
the door, stick the outside part (knob or deadbolt) in from

the
exterior side of the door, mate the interior part (knob,

deadbolt,
or turn lever) onto the rod from the front part, then spend a

lot
of time getting the screws started. Tighten everything up, and
you're done.

The only difference between l-h and r-h locksets is which way

the
plunger/latch points, and they're generally made to fit either

way.
No need to pull the cylinders or anything like that. Locksets

that
only fit one way are usually clearly marked as "l-h only" or

"r-h only".

DING DING DING DING !! We have a winner, folks!
Finally, someone posts the correct answer.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Gary is mistaken -- if you require the keyhole to be right side
up.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...

Read Gary Heston's post -- he's the only one so far who has

given the correct
answer to your question.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

The hidden tab that releases the center shaft has *ZERO* to do
with removing the cylinder.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
.. .

Not having done it, that was the hard part about the job that I

failed at
last night.

I removed the stud easily by pressing on the "hidden" tab but

when I
pressed on that hidden tab to push out the lock cylinder,

nothing budged.
Of course, my one hand was pressing on the tab with the

screwdriver, my
other hand was pushing with a pen stuck down the center hole,

and my third
and fourth hands were trying to keep the whole thing from

falling to the
floor for yet another umpteenth time.

I think the inexpensive tool is worth it. I just hope Sears has

it or Home
Deport or Orchard Supply ...

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

They can't clarify. They (Gary and Doug) are both mistaken.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 18:33:24 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:
The only difference between l-h and r-h locksets is which way

the
plunger/latch points, and they're generally made to fit

either way.
No need to pull the cylinders or anything like that. Locksets

that
only fit one way are usually clearly marked as "l-h only" or

"r-h only".

DING DING DING DING !! We have a winner, folks!
Finally, someone posts the correct answer.

Now I'm REALLY confused.

If we don't need to pull the Kwikset lock cylinder, then why

are all the
OTHER posts showing pictures of a cylinder removal tool in

order to rotate
the configuration from a left hand to a right hand lock?

Please clarify if you can! Thanks!

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
news:Vtwqh.44570 If we don't need to pull the Kwikset lock
cylinder, then why are all the
OTHER posts showing pictures of a cylinder removal tool in

order to rotate
the configuration from a left hand to a right hand lock?

I've never seen a deadbolt lock where installing it on either a

right-hung or
a left-hung door depended on removing the lock cylinder.

CY: Doug, she's describing a knob lock.

Please clarify if you can! Thanks!

A deadbolt lock has three main sections: the outdoor part

(which contains the
lock cylinder), the indoor part (which has a knob for throwing

the bolt), and
the deadbolt mechanism.

CY: Doug, the customer is working on a knob lock.

Remove the screws that hold the indoor part and the outdoor

part together. Now
slide the indoor part and the outdoor part away from the

deadbolt mechanism.
Put the indoor part where the outdoor part was, and the outdoor

part where the
indoor part was. Put the screws back in.

CY: Doug, if you invert the indoor and outdoor parts, you lock
yourself into the house. And let anyone turn the knob and come
in. You're not sounding very knowledgable.

Done.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In article , " wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 20:35:01 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:
I've never seen a deadbolt lock where installing it on either a right-hung or

a left-hung door depended on removing the lock cylinder.

My problem isn't with the deadbolt, it's with the entry lock knob.

Are you saying one can switch a Kwikset entry knob from a left-hand
configuration to a right-hand lock setup WITHOUT removing the lock
cylinder?

Absolutely. Works the same way as I described for a deadbolt.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In article , "Stormin Mormon" wrote:

CY: Doug, if you invert the indoor and outdoor parts, you lock
yourself into the house. And let anyone turn the knob and come
in. You're not sounding very knowledgable.

Think about it a little while, and you might figure out where you went out to
lunch when you wrote this...

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 23:14:28 -0800,
wrote:
Where can I find PICTURES or DIAGRAMS of the procedure to
flip a Kwikset
entry lock from the left-hand keyhole position to a
right-handed lock?

This PDF of the type of instructions that come with my
Kwikset entry lock
does not explain how to reverse an upside down keyway.
http://tinyurl.com/ymefs4

Oh my, I just realized I have to REMOVE THE LOCK CYLINDER
in order to
switch the Kwikset lock from a left-hand upside-down
keyhole to a
right-hand right-side up keyway!
http://tinyurl.com/yzhu5d

So much for the "Easy Installation" and "Fits All Doors"
on the package!

Why doesn't Kwikset just LABEL their package for left-hand
doors only?

because Kwikset doesn't need to.
your links should be self explanatory.
once the cylinder is removed,
it can be re-installed any way needed..

--
"Key"
========

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote in message
[...]

home depot would have probably popped the cylinders out of
the entry locks for you,
if you would have just asked ?
then after you installed the locks on your doors, you could
have just popped them back in the way they needed to be.

g'day
--
"Key"
========

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Ralph" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I looked up the tool reference you provided.

Yep, that'l work.

There is a better tool but it is more costly and probably
not available at HD.

Make sure you pad the palm of your hand before trying to
punch out the cylinder.

why use your palm ?
use the table, floor or any hard surface :-)

--
"Key"
========

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message ...
You can't pop the cylinder out with a screw driver. Takes
special tool.

hmmm?
I have poped out a cylinder with a screw driver before
when I misplaced the tool..

--
"Key"
========

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article ,
(Gary Heston) wrote:
In article ,

wrote:
How do we flip a left-hand Kwikset lock so it works on a
right-hand door?

[ ... ]

[...]

not really :-)
an upside down keyway traps dirt and debris that can get
into the top springs,
and cause problems down the road.
an upside down keyway traps dirt and debris that can also
causes restriction on the pins movement.
not to mention the help of gravity to help allow the pins
manipulating freely.

--
"Key"
========

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I didn't look at your link, but a "kwikset puller" is probably
different than the cylinder removal tool that I use. My cylinder
removal tool cost less than a dollar at my parts house.

They were having a sale on pipe wrenches and big hammers that day were they?

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In article , "'Key" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.net...
In article ,
(Gary Heston) wrote:
In article ,

wrote:
[...]

Missing the point... re-read Heston's post.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

May I suggest that you might be mistaken?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
t...

My problem isn't with the deadbolt, it's with the entry lock

knob.

Are you saying one can switch a Kwikset entry knob from a

left-hand
configuration to a right-hand lock setup WITHOUT removing the

lock
cylinder?

Absolutely. Works the same way as I described for a deadbolt.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Here's a guy telling you how to pope a cylinder:

http://www.berkeleysquarejazz.com/bl...0Paul%20II.jpg

However, if you really want to remove a Kwikky knob lock cylinder
without damaging the clips, you need two screw drivers. Thin
ones, like jewlers' screw drivers.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"'Key" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message ...
You can't pop the cylinder out with a screw driver. Takes
special tool.

hmmm?
I have poped out a cylinder with a screw driver before
when I misplaced the tool..

--
"Key"
========

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

How am I wrong? I have defeated several "deadlocking latches" - both
Kwikset and also good quality Weiser and Schlage - with only a thin
piece of flexible plastic. If you want anything that will cause someone
motivated to get into your house to have to take more than a couple
minutes, you need a deadBOLT. As I said, any kid with a library card
can defeat a deadlocking latch UNLESS you take other measures to keep
them from doing so, like cutting a slot to catch the card in the door
jamb. Even so they can sneak the card around the corner above the latch
and slide it down.

nate

Steve wrote:
"Proving he watches a lot of TV and doesn't know what a deadlocking latch is
Nate Nagel" wrote in message

Of course, if you don't have a deadbolt, there's no point worrying about
it... any kid with a library card can get in your door.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

quick 2¢... when installed correctly deadlatch works and library card
doesn't. :-)

Yes when installed wrong almost anybody with the knowledge of how to bend
that card just right can get in with a credit card. That's why we make the
big bucks... When we come across this at a customers location (via lock-out
or break-in) we'll realign the strike plate to bring the "DEADLATCH" back
into the picture and also encourage the purchase of a deadbolt and maybe a
strike protector as well. Hey it is all about the Benjamin's and public
safety is it not?

still in business,
Roger

Nate Nagel" wrote in message

Of course, if you don't have a deadbolt, there's no point worrying about
it... any kid with a library card can get in your door.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

How...? the little extra pin still retracts when you push the latch
back. unless you can stop that from happening, you will always be able
to use the library card trick.

nate

Nate Nagel" wrote in message

Of course, if you don't have a deadbolt, there's no point worrying about
it... any kid with a library card can get in your door.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote in message
How do we flip a left-hand Kwikset lock so it works on a right-hand door?

I bought a set of Kwikset Security locks which advertise "Fits All Doors"

&
"Easy Installation". The Kwikset lock package contained two left-hand

keyed
knobs and two deadbolts.

The problem is there is NOTHING on the package that indicates the two

keyed
knobs are set up for left-handed doors (those with the hinge on the left).
My outside doors are right-hand doors (they have the hinge on the right).

It's crazy to me that Kwikset doesn't even SAY on the package that all my
lock cylinders will be upside down unless I can figure out how to switch
the Kwikset lock from being a left-hand knob to a right-hand knob.

Do you know how?

I googled only to find a very tough to follow description of the lock knob
keyhole reversing procedure sans pictures at
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=227800

Is there a PHOTOGRAPH or DIAGRAM of how to reverse a quickset lock that is
set up for a left-hand door to have the keyhole right-side up for a
right-hand door?

The instructions have room for Spanish, English, and French, but no room

tell us how to install the lock such that the keyhole is right-side up.

Is the procedure to flip the Kwikset keyhole documented (with pictures)?

The cylinder clips in place with two spring steel clips at 180 degrees to
one another. This allows it to be flipped for proper keyway orientation.
It's designed for removal with a special tool but you you can also probe the
clips from the rear with a sharp pick or other instrument. Note that this
lock is also vulnerable to a widely available tool that removes the cylinder
from the front even while locked so the security that it provides is next to
nill.

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

The little extra pin is called an anti pick feature. If it is
depressed, you should not be able to push the strike back.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

Nate Nagel" wrote in message

Of course, if you don't have a deadbolt, there's no point
worrying about
it... any kid with a library card can get in your door.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
You can't pop the cylinder out with a screw driver. Takes a
special tool.

This is total BS again showing how little you know about the trades you hack
at. It can be popped with a screwdriver (or two) of the right dimensions or
a sharp pick or anything that will physically fit for that matter.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
et...
In article ,
"'Key" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
y.net...
In article ,
(Gary Heston) wrote:
In article ,

wrote:
[...]

didn't miss his point at all.
just added an important point.

--
"Key"
========

--
Regards,

It's time to throw all their damned tea in the harbor
again.

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

You nitwitt you just said:

"You can't pop the cylinder out with a screw driver. Takes a
special tool."

Now after somebody who actually knows what he's talking about tells you it
can be you start going on about popping it with screwdrivers afterall. Go
get a job flipping burgers and quit butchering things as a 'locksmith' and
'HVAC tech'.

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message ...
Here's a guy telling you how to pope a cylinder:

http://www.berkeleysquarejazz.com/bl...0Paul%20II.jpg

However, if you really want to remove a Kwikky knob lock
cylinder
without damaging the clips, you need two screw drivers.
Thin
ones, like jewlers' screw drivers.

have to disagree,
done it many times with one screw driver.
"without damaging the clips"

--
"Key"
========

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"'Key" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon"
wrote
in message
You can't pop the cylinder out with a screw driver.
Takes
special tool.

hmmm?
I have poped out a cylinder with a screw driver before
when I misplaced the tool..

--
"Key"
========

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

That's all true but the fact is since they sell their product, probably most
of it, at retail straight to consumers, who for the most part won't know how
to remove the cylinder, they should IMHO include good directions and the
tool and just add a couple bucks to the cost of the lockset. They could also
sell it with loose cylinders to be popped in at install once the handing was
known.

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Steve" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon"
wrote in message
You can't pop the cylinder out with a screw driver. Takes
special tool.

This is total BS again showing how little you know about
the trades you hack
at. It can be popped with a screwdriver (or two) of the
right dimensions or
a sharp pick or anything that will physically fit for that
matter.

actually it can be popped out from the rear with a blunt
ended punch :-)

--
"Key"
========

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Flip Kwikset to Schlage

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I used to like Schlage, when they had the two piece exterior
knobs. The new ones with the one piece knob are garbage. I bought
a couple of them to install for a customer, and had to take em
back.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

That fact that you couldn't figure them out isn't surprising and doesn't
mean they were garbage.