Spehro Pefhany

Default Left hand end mill ?

Why and where would you want to use one?

TIA.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Harold & Susan Vordos

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
Why and where would you want to use one?

TIA.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Assuming you're making reference to a left hand spiral, they are made to
counter-act the forces where heavy cuts tend to pull the end mill out of a
collet. I suppose the concept is that it's better to have your cut shallow
out instead of the end mill pull deeper, which simply leads to the end mill
pulling out all the faster if you're doing pocket work and cutting to a
bottom instead of through the material. The other negative is if you're
cutting near the table and it pulls out unnoticed, you damage the mill
table. While they aren't routinely found, nor used, they serve a valuable
function and are worth having for that special job where you have problems.

Years ago, when I was making some master tracer templates for the Boeing
747, I scrapped a large superstructure template when a 1" end mill pulled
out in just this way. It happens.

Harold

michael

Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

[...]

Nice to have when milling round stuff (cnc or rotary table) and the only
clamping is a center bolt. And no, I don't have any.

michael

RKurtz

Nice to have when milling round stuff (cnc or rotary table) and the only
clamping is a center bolt. And no, I don't have any.

Why not machine a left-handed clamping bolt ?

Ron
Harold & Susan Vordos

"RKurtz" wrote in message
Nice to have when milling round stuff (cnc or rotary table) and the only
clamping is a center bolt. And no, I don't have any.

Why not machine a left-handed clamping bolt ?

Ron

Nothing wrong with that idea aside from the fact that most tool boxes have
few, if any, left hand taps. Michael's reply was right on the money.
Another option is to use the right hand thread and get down VERY hard with
the screw so you overcome the cutting force. That can be risky.

Harold

michael

Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

"RKurtz" wrote in message
Nice to have when milling round stuff (cnc or rotary table) and the only
clamping is a center bolt. And no, I don't have any.

Why not machine a left-handed clamping bolt ?

Ron

Nothing wrong with that idea aside from the fact that most tool boxes have
few, if any, left hand taps. Michael's reply was right on the money.
Another option is to use the right hand thread and get down VERY hard with
the screw so you overcome the cutting force. That can be risky.

Harold

Yeah, that has worked "both" ways for me. That is why there are words like
risky and maybe. And phrases like I think.....and well, I thought......

michael

RKurtz

Nice to have when milling round stuff (cnc or rotary table) and the only
clamping is a center bolt. And no, I don't have any.

Why not machine a left-handed clamping bolt ?

Ron

Nothing wrong with that idea aside from the fact that most tool boxes have
few, if any, left hand taps. Michael's reply was right on the money.
Another option is to use the right hand thread and get down VERY hard with
the screw so you overcome the cutting force. That can be risky.

Harold

Yeah, that has worked "both" ways for me. That is why there are words like
risky and maybe. And phrases like I think.....and well, I thought......

michael

Geez, I hate to admit it, but it reminds me of a time when I had to clamp an
irregular shaped piece to the milling table. After using all sorts of step
blocks and clamping bolts, I asked a co-worker if he thought the setup was
rigid enough. His reply?
" If YOU think it is. YOU'RE the one standing near it!"
LMAO.. live and learn,
Ron