Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Getting rusty nipple off.

I'm replacing the faucet on our shower/tub. The nipple is NOT budging.
I used WD-40 and kind of stripped the threads in trying to get the
nipple off. ANy suggestions? I don't want to use too much strength
since the shower head is wiggling as I try to turn the nipple.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm replacing the faucet on our shower/tub. The nipple is NOT budging.
I used WD-40 and kind of stripped the threads in trying to get the
nipple off. ANy suggestions? I don't want to use too much strength
since the shower head is wiggling as I try to turn the nipple.

Heat. If you can safely put a torch to the joint, that will usually break
it free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

First off, 86 the wd40. it's basically worthless.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm replacing the faucet on our shower/tub. The nipple is NOT budging.
I used WD-40 and kind of stripped the threads in trying to get the
nipple off. ANy suggestions? I don't want to use too much strength
since the shower head is wiggling as I try to turn the nipple.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker LT wrote:
First off, 86 the wd40. it's basically worthless.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm replacing the faucet on our shower/tub. The nipple is NOT budging.
I used WD-40 and kind of stripped the threads in trying to get the
nipple off. ANy suggestions? I don't want to use too much strength
since the shower head is wiggling as I try to turn the nipple.

Hey! useless? WD-40 is a *great* cleaner. I use it to clean up the
freeing oil...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm replacing the faucet on our shower/tub. The nipple is NOT budging.
I used WD-40 and kind of stripped the threads in trying to get the
nipple off. ANy suggestions? I don't want to use too much strength
since the shower head is wiggling as I try to turn the nipple.

Heat. If you can safely put a torch to the joint, that will usually break
it free.

A friend thinks it may be sodered on the back of the niple to the pipe.
I'm going to try another tool to remove it. Hopefully, that will
work. Thanks for advice!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
wrote in
ps.com:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm replacing the faucet on our shower/tub. The nipple is NOT
budging. I used WD-40 and kind of stripped the threads in trying to
get the nipple off. ANy suggestions? I don't want to use too
much strength since the shower head is wiggling as I try to turn
the nipple.

Heat. If you can safely put a torch to the joint, that will usually
break it free.

A friend thinks it may be sodered on the back of the niple to the
pipe.
I'm going to try another tool to remove it. Hopefully, that will
work. Thanks for advice!

if it's iron pipe(that's usually threaded),it's NOT soldered.
Just rusted in.

Why did you need to remove the nipple anyways?
(you have to now that the threads are buggered.)

When I replaced my tub spout,the universal kit I bought at Lowes had
adapters to fit threaded pipe(2 sizes),or go over copper stub(what I had).
It was only $12 as I recall.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

For the record:

WD-40

CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also
dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape, stickers,
and excess bonding material.
DISPLACES MOISTU Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries
out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen
or rusted metal parts.
LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and
hold firmly to all moving parts.
PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant
ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.

http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_product_info.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Getting pink nipple off.

wrote:
Jim,
It was sodered on....

lol

it probably was

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22 Dec 2006 20:00:11 -0800, "naked on the phone"

Jim,
It was sodered on....

lol

it probably was

Dood......
Thats not a nipple, that's YOU DICK that you are trying to get off !