Dmitri

Default how to screw in short pipe nipple

I need to attach a 2.5 inch straight pipe nipple for a showerhead mount
instead of the gooseneck type and wonder what tools are used for that as
there is no bare pipe left to grab with a pipe wrench and I do not want to
use it on the outside threaded part. I know there are nipple extractors
that grab the inside of the pipe. Are there reverse application tools?

Thanks.

Red Neckerson

"Dmitri" wrote

I need to attach a 2.5 inch straight pipe nipple for a showerhead mount
instead of the gooseneck type and wonder what tools are used for that as
there is no bare pipe left to grab with a pipe wrench and I do not want to
use it on the outside threaded part. I know there are nipple extractors
that grab the inside of the pipe. Are there reverse application tools?

The best nipple extractor is lowering the room thermostat....

;-]

willshak

On 1/8/2005 12:37 AM US(ET), Dmitri took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

I need to attach a 2.5 inch straight pipe nipple for a showerhead mount
instead of the gooseneck type and wonder what tools are used for that as
there is no bare pipe left to grab with a pipe wrench and I do not want to
use it on the outside threaded part. I know there are nipple extractors
that grab the inside of the pipe. Are there reverse application tools?

Thanks.

I am not a plumber, so I don't know if such a tool exists. My only
suggestion would be to wrap a piece of rubber around the threads (like a
piece of inner tube) and use the pipe wrench (carefully) on the threads.

--
Bill
Mikepier

I know there is a tool ( forgot the name) that is used specifically to
remove and install chrome shower goosenecks. It is similiar to an oil
filter wrench only it has cloth to grasp around the pipe so it does not
scratch. You could probably use it in your application so as to not
damage the threads.

zxcvbob

Dmitri wrote:
I need to attach a 2.5 inch straight pipe nipple for a showerhead mount
instead of the gooseneck type and wonder what tools are used for that as
there is no bare pipe left to grab with a pipe wrench and I do not want to
use it on the outside threaded part. I know there are nipple extractors
that grab the inside of the pipe. Are there reverse application tools?

Thanks.

Internal nipple wrenches work for both extracting and tightening short
pipes.

Bob
Dmitri

I went ahead and bought one of those cam type internal pipe wrenches as I
might do other similar projects. Works great.

Dmitri

"Joe Bobst" wrote in message
Are there reverse application tools?

I have a cam type internal whatchamacallit that works in either direction.

For
a one time project, though, you could use a couple of conduit nuts (the

jam nut
priciple) with appropriate wremches. HTH

Joe

Stormin Mormon

At a moment like this, I'd suggest to screw the nipple into the shower head.
Teflon tape it. And teflon tape the other end. Use the showerhead to hold
the nipple, crank the showerhead. Say a prayer, and hope for the best.

--

Christopher A. Young
This space intentionally left blank

"Dmitri" wrote in message
I need to attach a 2.5 inch straight pipe nipple for a showerhead mount
instead of the gooseneck type and wonder what tools are used for that as
there is no bare pipe left to grab with a pipe wrench and I do not want to
use it on the outside threaded part. I know there are nipple extractors
that grab the inside of the pipe. Are there reverse application tools?

Thanks.

bumtracks

"Joe Bobst" wrote in message
Are there reverse application tools?

I have a cam type internal whatchamacallit that works in either direction.

For
a one time project, though, you could use a couple of conduit nuts (the

jam nut
priciple) with appropriate wremches. HTH

yep - an electrical locknut & a galv coupling locked on makes a pretty good
close nipple installer when u don't want to bugger the threads

Tekkie

Red Neckerson posted for all of us....

"Dmitri" wrote

I need to attach a 2.5 inch straight pipe nipple for a showerhead mount
instead of the gooseneck type and wonder what tools are used for that as
there is no bare pipe left to grab with a pipe wrench and I do not want to
use it on the outside threaded part. I know there are nipple extractors
that grab the inside of the pipe. Are there reverse application tools?

The best nipple extractor is lowering the room thermostat....

;-]

Well, going into AC is one method but my favorite is when they look at at me
and it happens...
--
Tekkie